Who would still buy a L2013 iMac without any add ons?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edwinfischer, Oct 6, 2014.

1. edwinfischer macrumors newbie

Asked this bef but too clumsily so throwing it out again. Got the lower end 21.5’ imac L2013, refurbished. 8GB RAM & HDD, 2.7GHz.

Am on budget. But is it stupid of me? No extra RAM, no fusion or ssd. And so close to possible new releases.

Send it back? (return expires bef 16th sadly)

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

Keep it! Even without the upgrades you could of possibly purchased with a new machine, it's still a very decent machine and I'm sure you got a fairly good deal on it too!

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you are on a budget, it is a solid computer. 8GB of RAM will be more than enough for the lifetime of your computer, at least for consumer tasks. Definitely think about booting from a thunderbolt docked SSD. It will make a huge difference if you have about $200 to spend. Sounds like you made a good purchase.

4. muess macrumors newbie

I agree with this. Attach an external thunderbolt SSD and you'll be laughing :)

5. edwinfischer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much guys, really helpful to know.

Being super pedantic, what shd I prefer between these two choices
    1. thunderbolt docked SSD
    2. same iMac but with fusion, which wld just mean re buying when comes up in refurbished again.

You are basically saying (1) is as good and as easy as (2) so there is no issue, right?

Thanks!

6. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

IMO it depends if you're willing to wait and how much your patience is worth; buying an external Thunderbolt enclosure for a SSD is more expensive than getting the base 1 TB Fusion Drive option from the refurbished section, but there's no telling when that specific config will be available from the refurb section (even with new iMacs coming out - could be days or weeks).

7. edwinfischer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that crsh1976 - really helpful.

----------

Fusion available now in refurb store -

I paid £870 for 21.5-inch iMac 2.7GHz i5

21.5-inch iMac 2.9GHz i5 available and costs £1,150

£280 ($450) difference

worth it for notch up to the 2.9 plus Fusion?

last question, sorry!