Who would you pick to save the world?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Maybe some of you remember Eliza Dushku from the TV series Tru Calling; which is where I got the idea for this thread.

If you could send someone back in time to September 01, 2001 to save the world from its current trajectory, who would it be? Keep in mind that this person would not have any briefing prior to being sent back in time; they would just simply wake up one morning in the past, just like the character Tru Davies did in the story Tru Calling.

Somewhere along that morning, he/she would realise that they're back in time. They would not freak out because whomever the person is, they would be very brave and would immediately realise from instinct the task they were chosen to do and would also realise the tremendous opportunity they had to change history for the better.

I imagine the perfect person is someone that we've never heard of; someone that would know exactly what to do if put in that situation. ;)

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

MEGATRON.

I'd promise him the Allspark if he flew and interceded the 9/11 hijackers' planes.

Then, with that impending doom over, and a new impending doom of Megatron getting the Allspark, I'd call on Optimus Prime to kick some Megatron butt.

....Or does it have to be a real person? If that were the case, the person that takes the boarding passes for the plane.

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes, please pick a real person for this fictional assignment. :)

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The mighty question: How is one little person going to save the world?

I think a lot of people are capable of changing things on a small scale but for one person to try to save things globally without sounding like a complete nutter ("Seriously, on Sept 11th those two big buildings are goners!" "NO, don't vote Bush!" "No one take the Tube on 07/07/05 morning commute!" "The Red Sox win the world series... no, really!" etc) You'd scarcely be taken seriously no matter how you tried.

Besides, how would you know the outcome wouldn't be worse in changing it? What about the Butterfly Effect? :p

(sorry, I never play your games as you'd like me to because they're always full of ridiculous holes which I can't even get past in theory)

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I believe that one person (the right person) is capable of setting into motion a series of events that could change the past. :)

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe so.

I've noticed you seem to really love this idea (where alternatively, I hate the idea of messing with the past) Why is that? Did something happen to you that makes you want to change things? [curious]

7. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've always liked that show Tru Calling and the concept of going back in time. What about yourself iBlue, what would you do if you woke up on September 01, 2001?

8. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I would send my 2 1/2 year old nephew. Why because everyone would listen to a 2 1/2 year old.

9. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

Why change the past when that person could change the future?

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

My stepfather did editing for that show. (he did the whole "wooosh... going back" effect, among other things) I've only seen the show a few times though.
    </side note>

What would I do? Panic. I am finally happy for the first time in my 30 years on this planet and I'd know I had to live through 6 years of unhappiness (and one very tricky and unfortunate thing) to get back to where I am. I'm selfish and that thought would absolutely wreck me. Plus I'd live in constant fear of losing what I have now. You can't know the future and still make it happen. I got here by a series of events which I never saw coming. Had I any idea I don't know that it would have turned out the same.

(sorry, I try to play but I can't wrap my mind around it. :eek: I'm not trying to be stubborn, it's just that when I think about it I hit stumbling blocks.)

11. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I can't imagine someone not doing anything. I don't think it would take much to head off 9/11, but heading off the Iraq war would take a lot more effort.

I'm thinking maybe Colin Powell might be a good person for the trip.

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

13. bartelby macrumors Core

But by heading off 9/11 it could lead to a more serious attack (not saying 9/11 wasn't serious). Al-Qaeda could have but a more concerted effort into an attack. Maybe dirty bombs or nuclear weapons.

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We've already sent people back to warn you, the trouble is you don't believe them. :rolleyes:

Sorry... Did I say ‘we’ve’? Er, I meant ‘they’. :eek:

15. nplima macrumors 6502a

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No thanks. Let those buildings fall. I'd rather die that way than be on the receiving end of a lethal roundhouse kick.

Clark Kent?

17. Queso macrumors G4

Nobody could do it. Pre-9/11 America was so arrogant in its thinking the authorities wouldn't have listened to anyone. The German and French secret services had cracked the 9/11 Al-Qaeda cell in December 2000. They were warning the CIA constantly that a major attack within the USA was being planned yet the 9/11 attackers, individuals with known links to those apprehended by the French and Germans, were left to get on with their plans unencumbered.

So I'm pretty sure even if you sent George W. Bush back, he'd dismiss himself and carry on as before. It takes an event like 9/11 to shake people out of their complacency.

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Panda Z

Attached Files:

19. mpw Guest

Serious answer? I'd choose somebody with the power to do something about it at very short notice, somebody who had seen the files on the terrorist and dismissed them the first time round who was subsequently involved in clearing up the mess. Operations head at the CIA/FBI/NSA Pentagon? You could be sure he'd have seen in detail the later reports of how the attacks happened and had the power to lift a phone to have those guys 'subdued' prior to the attacks.

That would prevent 9/11.

What would happen next?? He'd probably be questioned as to where the info. came from that he acted on. Would he be able to prove these guys were about to crash those planes? Would they just be quietly let go and him retired? Who knows.

20. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

21. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

1- Hiro Nakamura (if he makes a mistake he can go back in time and fix it)
    2- jack bauer (no matter how big the problem is you know he will fix it in 24 hours)

22. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Here's a shot of Tru Davies played by Eliza Dushku :)

[​IMG]

23. mpw Guest

I know. I f**king RAWK!

24. Lau Guest

Here's a shot of a dirty old man posed by a model.

[​IMG]

And your point is? :p

25. mpw Guest

Ooo he's a Mac user :D