whoa check out this case/stand!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaniJoy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

i really want one of these! as an artist it looks really versatile. Thoughts?

2. AlliFlowers, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That looks awesome! Heck, I'd like one of those for my iPad Air!

But you definitely need one. I love your artwork!

**Edit**

OMG - a bamboo version. This is the case I've been waiting all my life for! Ordered.

3. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Excellent idea and execution, but the way it covers the front is less than ideal. I haven't had good experiences with cases that wrap around the front.

4. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Well I went ahead and ordered one. I'd normally be very skeptical about ordering a case that is brand new and for which there are no reviews available, but I emailed them and the owner emailed me back very promptly and answered my questions. He has a 30 day return policy.

For $150+, the quality and fit of the case needs to be pretty perfect. It does look really cool how the stand functions though. I'll post a review here when I receive it.

6. DaniJoy thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah it looks really nice. im saving up for one. hes been around for a while, i always wanted one for my Cintiq companion. he also makes them for the surface pro line. The only complaint i have heard was manufacturing delays- its a small company.

i wish i didnt have a smart cover and case now. maybe i can sell mine on ebay.....

looking forward to hearing some reviews!

7. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Really like this, can't wait to see some reviews! Might have to save up for this one.

8. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

9. jlczl macrumors regular

10. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Hmmm... It's a clever take on the origami designs that many other cases already have (Ozaki Slim-Y, Moshi Versacover). My concern is that it looks too versatile. I have doubts as to how stable it is in real use - it looks kind of flimsy, and even in the video it looks like it has to be maneuvered carefully into the different positions.

11. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Fabulous!!! I want one!

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

the concept is great, but all i can see is a cheap prototype and after couple of days broken corners...

13. DaniJoy thread starter macrumors 6502

i think its worth a shot, makes my smart cover look really over priced and function-less. i only draw and paint on my ipad so its seems like a worthy upgrade for my workflow.

14. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I received my FlipSteady a couple of days ago and today I unpacked it and put it on my iPad Pro. So here are my thoughts:

1) Fit and finish is really good. It looks like something expensive that you would buy from Apple.

2) All of the port and speaker holes line up good.

3) The case is a bit stiff at the beginning, but I expect it will loosen up over time as I use it.

4) The front cover does fold into all the various stand positions as advertised, although mine is a bit stiff as it is still new, so it doesn't fold quite as easy as the one in the videos. It could also be that I'm not used to using it yet, so it takes me a few seconds to fold it into another position. I can't just change the stand position with a flick of the wrist as he does in the video.

5) The stand is indeed stable, I'd say considerably more stable than the Apple smart cover when folded into a stand, but obviously not as stable as a true metal stand. The reason for the good stability is that the different sections inside of the leather are reinforced with aluminum instead of the plastic/cardboard (or whatever cheap material they use) that is in Apple's smart covers and most aftermarket covers/cases.

6) Because the front cover has so many creases/bends in it, the fit of the front cover when closed is not always exact -- meaning it has some give in either direction (left or right when held in portrait mode) when closed. So to keep it in place, you really need to use the elastic strap that is built into the back of the case. This is obviously how it was meant to be used. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but just thought I would mention.

7) While the front cover does include the auto on/off magnet, because of the looseness of the front cover when closed, the magnet working is a hit or miss depending on how exact the cover hits the screen when it closes. If you get it exact, then it will indeed turn off the iPad. But sometimes it doesn't if it hits the screen slightly to the left or right. I don't really care about the on/off function, so this is a non-issue for me. Because the front cover has a small cutout for the camera (when the cover is open and folded around back, it doesn't block the camera), you can see if the screen is on, so if it doesn't turn off on its own from the magnet, I can just use the power button.

8) While this case will protect most of the iPad from scratches, it is not going to protect it from a serious drop. Keep in mind the sides of the iPad are still exposed. The corners are protected, but it's not going to protect from a hard drop onto concrete or something like that.

15. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Can you post some pics with the Flipsteady on your IPP?

16. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

Not for me, but a fantastic idea. I love seeing the things that creative people can create for Apple products.

17. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

What a cool item. Showed it to my spouse who did origami as a kid and thought it looked cool too but wondered how stable it was to use. Thanks for the review and look forward to more reviews and photos please from those that ordered.

I immediately bought Apple's case and cover not wanting to chance my iPP without one but it certainly isn't as versatile as this. I do find the positioning of the cover limiting at times. Definitely will keep an eye on this thread.

Love the ingenuity and craftsmanship of it.

18. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Ok I took some pictures. I'll split them into several posts so I can explain each. Sometimes it's hard to tell the orientation from the photo if you are not familiar with the case....

I'll start with some pictures with the front cover closed and the elastic strap holding it closed:

IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2016 ---
    These pictures show the camera cutout on the front cover, with both the cover closed and with it folded around back. This is something that the Apple smart cover (and the Apple smart cases for other iPads) is missing. When you fold the cover around the back, it doesn't block the camera:

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg
    Here is a picture of the front cover folded around back with the elastic tether released:

IMG_0311.jpg
    And here is the front cover acting as a stand in both portrait and landscape modes. There are many more angles than what my pictures show. I haven't even figured them all out yet.

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

19. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Just noticed from looking at the pictures I posted, that the color looks a bit washed out, and in some of the shots the flash caused it to look like the edges/corners of the case are somewhat worn. It does not actually look like that at all. The case is a solid dark black color and the surface is very smooth and uniform. That's what I get for taking the pictures with my old iPhone 4S.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The designer emailed me last week to say that he was working on mine. (I ordered the bamboo for the Air 2). I am even more excited after reading your comments.

Thanks for sharing!

21. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Thank you for posting pics, I have been thinking on this one and a couple more that interests me. Enjoy your new case!
    Right now I have my IPP in an inexpensive Moko case but surprisingly it's a very nice case for the price. I have a few cases and the least expensive one is the one I like best, lol!

22. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I have my iPP in the black Moko case and I love it. Best feeling knowing that anytime the microfiber gets too dirty, I can buy another for less than the shipping would be on other cases.

23. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Which one do you like? I really like the one that has the clip in tabs (sides and screen open except for the 6 clips)
    This case feels great in the hand and very well made too. I love the hand strap for working in Procreate, really gives extra support. I got the black too. And the price..love it!!!

24. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I have the one that is a clone of the old Smart Case. A great option since Apple no longer makes a one piece Smart Case.