Whoa.. iPhone 4 dead, need help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by redbeard331, Jan 4, 2011.

1. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

My phone was fine earlier today, started acting a little strange tonight, first thing out of the ordinary I noticed was that all my apps that require accounts or passwords had me logged out, including the stock e-mail app!
    I didn't think much of it until I was trying to install an app update and it wouldn't work, I looked for the app and it had vanished from my phone. So I look through some folders and notice most of my icons are blank white now, so I re-spring the phone to see if that fixes it. Well it gets worse, now most of my apps are gone from the phone, just not there anymore, so I re-boot the phone thinking that should do the trick, nope, unfortunately upon re-boot my phone is stuck on the connect to iTunes screen and iTunes is saying my phone is in recovery mode.

Now just what on Earth could have caused something like this?? Any ideas? I've heard lots of stories of phones having all sorts of problems, but not one like this, I don't wanna lose my jailbreak since the untethered JB isn't out for 4.2 yet. Now is there any way to fix this without having to restore and losing everything?

This really sucks too, happened at a bad time for me as I really need my phone:(:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Btw I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1

2. redbeard331 thread starter macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Well I ended up restoring it back to 4.1 and jailbreaking it using greenpoison again, don't know how I got it to work, luck I guess.

Thing that sucks is I put a lot of time into customizing it and now have to start from scratch, although hopefully it will speed things up since my phone had slowed recently which is probably due to a lot of the junk I had installed on the phone. No more beta software for me..

I would like to figure out what caused it to do this so I can avoid it happening again!!!

3. tammie614 macrumors member

Wow, what luck. i'm so envious. congrats on saving, restoring and being able to jb again. my phone just out of the blue last week would not come back on i had the apple logo of death. I was simply removing "simple" apps from cydia....sigh had to restore my phone and upgrade to...gasp...4.2 :eek:so now i'm going through jb withdrawals. :(Its rough waiting on a jb, this phone looks "different" without the jb now....so i sit and patiently wait. not sure if you have your "blobs" saved (i wasn't able to save mine). You may want to save those in case something weird happens again. :)

4. redbeard331 thread starter macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Ouch, that sucks, I've heard about so many having problems where they need to restore, hasn't happened to me until last night. I think it must be some conflicting code or something similar, wish there was a way to keep it from happening as the task of re-doing everything on my phone is gonna take awhile.

I had installed a lot of junk on my phone though as I get bored easily and I have been installing lots of Cydia tweaks that are un-necessary and in beta stage which I know messed my phone up. No more of that, lesson learned.

It is weird looking at a stock phone again, seems so boring, you really miss things like SBSettings when you don't have it anymore!!

I'm anxiously awaiting the un-tethered 4.2 JB as well, and yes, I have my blobs saved, my biggest worry now is that I lost a lot of info on my phone and I'm not even sure what. There's just so much stuff to remember, and re-doing all the settings on all my apps is gonna take forever since I had made so many changes over the months..

5. tammie614 macrumors member

I know. i even scroll my finger over the top of my taskbar thinking the sbsettings tab will fall down. lol amazing how i'm now accustomed to a jb iphone4. I've tried to stop reading all the stuff on the net. twitter keeps retweeting that the 4.2 jb is ready...but its not...my heart cant take it anymore lol i did write down, as much as i can remember all the apps,tweaks i had, i'm sure i'm missing about 20 but it'll come back to me as i start to miss them more and more. bytafont is one for sure i miss my fonts. the weird thing for me is when i go to tinyumbrella and even try to save my shsh now it wont save anything? does that mean i have nothing to save?...if i knew then what i know now i'd have saved my blobs stat. :-(

6. redbeard331 thread starter macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Yea I did the same thing, I saw I had no wifi so I tried to bring up SBSettings, forgot that my password got erased as well.
    I don't know what's going on with the 4.2 jailbreak, ever since it got delayed there hasn't been any concrete info about when it's going to be released, hopefully soon though as a lot of people are waiting!

I'm not sure about how TinyUmbrella works, I had trouble with it in the past too. Did you save your shsh before you had to do the restore? If you did I'd think you should be fine once the JB comes out, it's just that you have to wait, although I've heard of people downgrading so it may be possible to downgrade to 4.1 and JB that for now. I had a copy of 4.1 on my computer so I was able to use that and re-jailbreak instead of going to 4.2. I hope it works out for you.