Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I just looked at the battery meter on my MBP, and it's saying I have 17 minutes left. I had it plugged in and fully charged until I left for class. I have been surfing the net and typing in Word, but that's stuff I do in class everyday. Usually around this time I have about an hour and a half of battery left. I've been using it for just over an hour right now. Could it be the fact that I downloaded a few podcasts and then closed iTunes? I wouldn't think that it'd drain that fast because of that. Is it supposed to show a negative amperage like that? Curious...

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 73

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Have you calibrated your battery recently?

Charge the battery to 100% then let it discharge all the way until the laptop goes to deep sleep mode.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Have you calibrated your battery recently?

Charge the battery to 100% then let it discharge all the way until the laptop goes to deep sleep mode.

Calibrated it about a month ago. It shouldn't need to be done again so soon, should it? It was at 100% health and 100% charge when I left for class. Luckily class got out at about 8% left.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well I'd recommend calibrating your battery once a month if you are using your laptop off battery mode a lot.

Every little helps.

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
This may help depending on your particular battery. I have similar problems sometimes but unfortunately, I don't qualify for that plan. :(

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Audio or video podcasts? If it's doing a lot of talking with Wi-Fi and read/writing to the hard drive, then yeah, you'll begin to drain your battery.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
Audio or video podcasts? If it's doing a lot of talking with Wi-Fi and read/writing to the hard drive, then yeah, you'll begin to drain your battery.

They were all video podcasts. I only had iTunes open about 3 minutes. Would 3 minutes of DLing drain an extra hour off the battery?

powz

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Have you tried installing the latest battery firmware update? If you continue having probs I'd definitely try contacting Applecare.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I haven't (or maybe I have). Is it something that was recently released? I checked the software updates yesterday and I'm all up to par.

klymr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Utah
I took a look at the battery stats again last night, and the amperage was down to about -3,500. When I first turned the computer on it was about 98% charged and showed I had 2 hours and 7 minutes of life. I moved those video podcasts from iTunes to my iPod and it drained from 98% to 94% (not that unusual) and the expected life dropped to about an hour and a half (again, might not be unexpected as I was just moving stuff causing a bit of load on the HDD). I'll check out everything when I get off work today and see what I can come up with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.