Whole Disk Encryption on PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jethryn Freyman, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Looking for whole disk encryption on a Power PC Mac.

Any ideas guys?

Filevault sucks for this since it's not whole disk and you have to jump through hoops regarding backups etc.

PGP 9.9 10 won't encrypt a boot disk on a PPC machine, it requires an Intel Mac.

2. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

As far as I'm aware, there is no WDE solution for PowerPC Macs. TrueCrypt runs on PPC OS X for assorted containers, but I don't think it can do WDE. At least, I've never tried.

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yeah you're right about Truecrypt only being for file containers and non-boot disks (on OS X) :(

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

OK, can anybody find a working download link for either version 9.6 or 9.7 of PGP Desktop? I can't find one ANYWHERE and I believe that's the version I need.

5. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

PGP Desktop was a for pay product from Symantec. I don't think you'll have much luck finding it. May I ask why exactly you want to use WDE and why TrueCrypt containers and FileVault are insufficient? I may be able to point you in another direction.

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

At the moment I have Truecrypt containers and encrypted disk images for some files, but I'd much prefer everything encrypted, including everything in the ~/Library folder and all the system logs and such at /

7. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Yeah, okay. On a desktop system, I feel like that's bordering on paranoia, but that's just me. ;)

I'm not sure what to tell you, TBH. I'm not aware of anything that's going to be readily and easily available for WDE for PowerPC Macs, unfortunately. WDE has only really become a mainstream thing since the end of the PowerPC era.

8. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Yep that sounds about right, but I think that version 9.6 or 9.7 of PGP for Mac supported boot drive encryption, I may be wrong though.... can't find a download of those versions ANYWHERE though. Don't even know if a version 8.x existed either...