Whole home audio with apple's AirPlay.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GRuizMD, Mar 26, 2015.

1. GRuizMD macrumors regular

Hello gang.

Just bought a new house and want to install an in-wall, or in-ceiling speakers. They have to be AirPlay compatible. Looked around there does not seem to be a flush mounted wall or ceiling speaker that works with AirPlay. Is this idea absurd?

1. But an airport express (refurb can be $65 on Apple Store)
    2. Buy a set of wall mounted speakers
    3. Attach speakers to analog audio output of airport (have to figure out how to split the audio signal for a pair of speakers)
    4. Power airport through regular electric line

Have it all concealed within wall/ceiling

Repeat in other locations around the house.

Is it a crazyyy idea????

Opinions? Thanks!

2. dyt1983, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

3. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Why is an amplifier needed? Can the AE just be connected to an individual set (2) speakers?

I have to admit that I know nothing about this.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

If you buy POWERED ceiling speakers, you won't need an amp.

But honestly it seems kind of messy running two wires to each speaker for audio and power instead of just one and then getting an amplifier.

So I would say Airport Express -> Amp -> Speaker 1 and 2

See this thread: Most Minimalist, Simple Airplay/Amplifier Solution

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

As the above poster pointed out, no you can't, unless the speakers are powered which means they have amps built into them.
    I don't know of any powered in-wall speakers. I doubt they exist because it doesn't make sense.
    So you are going to need an amplifier to drive the speakers.

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Nothing crazy about it. The simplest implementation is to drive all speakers from a single amp fed by the AExpres. I drive 4 pairs of ceiling speakers:

AExp > Amplifier > speaker splitter > volume control > speaker pair

Multi zone can be a little trickier and much more expensive as the gear can increase significantly in cost. In my case, every bedroom and common area already has a TV+amplified speakers+Apple TV which inherently provides a multi zone capability throughout the house. All controlled by a single iOS device or computer if desired.

7. PoppaKap macrumors regular

I used my old stereo receiver. Plugged in airport express as my only input. Wired monoprice ceiling speakers to it. I have wireless controlled whole house audio for like $500. It is rock solid stable, plays Spotify instantly, and sounds decent.

8. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Now I get it.

So the set up for zoned audio per room would be:

AE can get at 65 on refurb store
    Amplifier can get this one for $55

Pyle Home PCA3 150-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CgCfvb0EH3YAJ
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P2R1RW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_CgCfvb0EH3YAJ

And 2 speakers: cheapo at $35 the pair

Pyle PDIC60 In-Wall / In-Ceiling Dual 6.5-Inch Speaker System, Directable Tweeter, 2-Way, Flush Mount, White (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LCL90/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RlCfvb1NRD9KV
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007LCL90/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RlCfvb1NRD9KV

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Personally, I would avoid mounting the Express in the wall or ceiling. There are electrical codes that would be violated if you did that coupled with the fact that it is a royal pain to try and reset it if needed. Personally, I would run the speaker wiring down into a cover plate and connect the Express to that. You may want to consider running Ethernet to the Express instead of using Wi-Fi to avoid interference.

10. GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

That's a good point. My hope is three or four zones. I'm Not sure if the best set up is to have the amplifiers in a cabinet on the first floor and all the wires going from there, or wether is best to have the amplifiers and AEs on a nice shelf on each room and from there wires going into the ceiling speakers.

The last one seems to be a better solution. Since the home is already Ethernet wired and it has two floors.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would have the Express on a shelf and then run the cables through the faceplate to where they need to go. Since you got Ethernet drops in your house, you are already halfway there! What is the main router on the network going to be?

12. GRuizMD, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Currently I live on a apartment and use a Time capsule that serves as my wireless router that is enough to power 2 AppleTVs (one of them wired to it the other one wireless) and one Mac mini that is connected to the living room TV and holds the media. I have a small army of wireless devices as I have two children with iPads, wife has MacBook and 2 cellphones. As I move to a wired place I have yet to figure out what's best. I do know, that I will need some AEs to extend the range upstairs and to the garage, maybe even backyard.

Right know I'm trying to figure out what's the ideal way to bring everything together using Apple technology and apple compatible devices. So far, living on a smaller place everything works fine, but I'm planning to add a second Nest, security cameras outside, the sound, and even a smart door lock down the road.

I will move next week and start checking what the options are.

13. takiv macrumors member

I use a russound abus 4 zone single source in wall hub. It mounts in a 2gang box. I have cat 5 cable running from it to to each zone, which terminates at a keypad. The keypad turns each zone on/off and controls volume. From each keypad I run cl2 speaker cable to wall or ceiling speakers. I use a refurb airport express to bring audio source to my amplifier, the run a rca cable, audio out from reciever to abus hub. I have ceiling mounted speakers in master, living room, wall mounter weather proof speakers on patio and garage. System has worked well for 10 years.

14. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

Please forgive me for (perhaps) hijacking this thread, but in the spirit of considering all your options, have you looked at Sonos? The equipment may be more expensive than the AirPlay approach, but factoring in the time/cost of wiring, etc., the total cost may be comparable.

I have no affiliation with Sonos, other than being a very happy user.

15. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Yeah i was going to recommend Sonos too but it seems OP wants to go cheap.

16. GRuizMD, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

GRuizMD thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. Sonos is awesome! It might be what I'm looking for.

Thanks. It seems that I can spare wiring and drilling and just set up the system all around the house.

Will check the system and let all know.

17. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

While you're checking out Sonos, I recomnend you also visit the Sonos forums. I've received some very good info from other users.