Wholesale iPhone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JavaWizKid, Mar 20, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to buy a genuine iPhone 3G from a wholesaler or will it be some cheap rip off iphone with custom branding? I can get it for a significantly cheaper price from a wholesaler and I'm wondering if I should buy one from them. Thanks

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but are the ALL fakes and scams or are some GENUINE?

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

think about it this way.......

what are wholesalers?

they sell to retailers so they can sell to the masses. They are the "middleman" between the retailers and the manufacturers.

who are the retailers?

for the iphone....... it would be ATT, walmart, and best buy (at least in the US)

and they all purchase from Apple directly.

because the supply chain is so tightly controlled, i don't think there is a such thing as a "wholesaler" for iphones because they all go straight from the manufacturer to the retailers.

ipods? yes, there are wholesalers because you can buy them ANYWHERE and so there has to be a supply chain in place to distribute them all.

the only "wholesaler" of iphones i can imagine is if groups of people are buying them in bulk (from regular retailers) in order to resell them as "unlocked" phones.

does that make sense?

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Just before the intro of the 3G iPhone, ATT sold refurb 2Gs without immediate contracts. I got two that way, but I can't imagine a scenario where bulk buying would be allowed, given the mega-tight control everyone is trying to exert.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My biggest reason for wanting Apple to release a next generation iPhone is so that the used market for 3G's loosens up. :D Also hopefully they would stop updating the 3G baseband and then there would be a permanent unlock solution like there is for the original iPhone. :D

7. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I shouldn't buy an iPhone from a wholesaler because its not genuine?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, basically.

9. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there anywhere where I an get a cheap iPhone 3G for? In the UK where I live, the contract is ridiculously expensive so I will use PAYG and the iPhone itself is £350 on PAYG!!!

I'd love to get an iPhone but I cannot afford it. :(

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, you're basically SOL. If you're a kid, perhaps if you're lucky you can convince someone who's on long-term contract in your family anyways to get an iPhone, let you have it, and then resume using their old phone (so they get it under subsidy). But you don't have a lot of good options.

11. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a touch which is great but I have to carry around my little brick phone with clunky keys to send txts and call people. I'd like an all in 1 device, the iPhone! Ah I guess I'll have to find money from somewhere :(

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

O2's prices are ridiculous though. O2 iPhone 3G

the £30 tariff offers 75 minutes and 125 texts... POOR
    However the £35 tariff offers 600 minutes and 500 texts!

Why do you get so much more for £5???

14. bartelby macrumors Core

Because that's what O2 decided to charge.

If you can't afford one then wait until you can. It's as simple as that.