Whoops--Good Disk Recovery Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by T3hPreacher, May 2, 2011.

1. T3hPreacher, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

T3hPreacher macrumors member

Hello all,

I intended to erase my TM Backup Partition in Disk Utility and ended up erasing another external drive partition that I had intended to keep. I did not secure erase, just the regular erase, so I should probably be able to recover the data.

My question is what good disk recovery software is available that can bring that stuff back to life for me. Cheap or free would be awesome--I'm not looking for much more features than restoring that data (I'm not even sure what the programs offer).

For now, I'm not touching the disk--it's ejected and I'll leave it that way until I know what I'm going to do with it. Would it affect my "erased" partition if I were to go ahead and Erase/Reformat my TM partition and backup there as well, or would I be best suited to leave it alone until I attempt to recover my data? Is there any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've always heard good things about Data Rescue (I think they are on version 3 now)

3. T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Are there any other options besides a $99 software? That's a little pricey for my budget.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not that I know of ... good comes at a price.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

MacLegion is offering a $50 dollar bundle of 11 mac apps that includes data rescue 3.

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

FileSalvage has always worked well for me. It's the kinda thing you want to keep around as you never know when data loss will occur and it's easier to be prepared than try to figure out what to do once it's happened.

Stop using the machine right away as temp files can quickly overwrite the lost files. You will need to boot the machine from another drive with the data recovery software installed to recover the files as you can't recover them to the same drive they were on as it would risk overwriting them or others. You also don't want to download the application to the same drive the files are/were stored for risk of overwriting them.