Whoops - my display fell off my desk...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Slope324, May 20, 2008.

1. Slope324 macrumors newbie

Its a cinema display... and the landing wasn't so bad since it got tangled up in the wires behind the desk - i cannot find any damage to the casing... BUT - when i plug it into my G4 tower, the tower shuts off. Does that clue tell anybody what needs replacing and if its something i could replace myself? Not covered by AppleCare, so repair costs are equal to buying a new one...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check the pins on the G4 and the cable to see if anything got bend when it fell.

Otherwise, the display grounding out the G4 doesn't sound good.

Dell might be an option, especially with all the coupon codes floating around.

3. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Well, I'm sorry to hear that happened. Let us know into what setup you'll upgrade. Best wishes.

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Man that sucks. I feel your pain. If my 30" took a nose dive I'd kill myself. I can't image what it is. I'm sure you can get a couple hundred on eBay for someone that needs parts. At least you'll have some cash to put towards a new one.

Have you tried another monitor on the tower to make sure that the tower is OK and it is indeed to Cinema Display? Do you have access to another Mac you can try the Cinema Display on?

5. Slope324 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, krye

My smaller monitor works fine with the tower. And the cinema shuts down other computers as well.

Need to check the pins.

6. Slope324 thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved

thanks to Sunbaked... found a bent pin on the connector and was able to bend it back into place... display is now working again - repaired at the cost of $0!

thanks.
    :D

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That is actually part of the Apple Support site for the problem -- my display doesn't work.

If was either that or something inside shifted enough to cause it to ground out both.

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Man I'm so happy for you! Got the shivers myself thinking about how I'd feel if that happened to me.

9. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

wow reading this made me actually feel joy for you (after then initial OMFG!) - I'd be crying for days if my 30" went awol.....

I am happy you have the problem fixed (and as a long term engineer I can appreciate that feeling of PHEW! you must have felt - almost better than sex)

:apple: