Whoops think i got a problem... BTOhhhhh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Oct 18, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya folks, today while out window shopping around Osaka cause there's a few hours to kill. On my tour around town i discovered some of the Apple resellers had slashed the prices of their old model to an unbelievable rate!! I'm talking $1300~1600 for a new, but old model!!

Now, I didn't have any intentions of buying one but I am in the market for a suitable replacement. Well... a couple of nights ago, I kinda ordered a new MacBook Pro 17" with all of the above specs and it's being shipped, expect delivery in 2-4 days it says.

17" high res :)
    Matte Display
    2.6Ghz Core2Duo
    512Mb Gfx chip,
    320Gb HD @ 7200rpm (I'll upgrade it anyway)
    4 GB RAM
    US keyboard preferably (local keyboard is Japanese)

A-n-y-way... Something came over me while window shopping,
    perhaps it's all the glossy/glassy screens blinding my thought?
    Or the irresistible price?? I don't know.. but I got a problem now! And I'm not sure what I should do.. anyone like to give me advice?

I came home with the top of the range MacBookPro 15" Matte finished with all the specs I demanded, and got the lot for a mere equivalent of $1300 USD!!!! :eek: Store say it's new, never been opened. However it's special order for a customer but the client never returned, they've put on it on clearance to make room for the new systems... LOL bargain!!!!

MBP 15" LED Matte Display
    2.5Mhz Core2Duo
    512Mb Gfx chip,
    250Gb HD (I'll upgrade it anyway)
    4 GB RAM
    Japanese Keyboard - JIS

Switch on my MacPro and discovered there's a email informing me that the MBP17 BTO has been dispatched! And payment has been accepted!! Ad far as I know, there are no cancellations with BTO orders, right? Can someone kindly fill me in on the conditions surrounding BTO orders? It's either i have one shiny new machine or I'll own two shiny machines by the end of the week....

I don't need to have a MacBook Pro x3
    and a MacPro with 30" ADC in my apartment with only me using them..

Oh.. I need to flog the MBP2.2 toooo!!
    Oh joy! :rolleyes:

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm not sure what your question is, but you are correct, BTO orders are non-returnable.

3. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I called and talked to someone yesterday. I had called on Wednesday to cancel my order before it shipped so I could go buy one in store. The guy promised me if I wouldn't cancel he would have it to me by yesterday, which obviously didn't happen. I called and they gave me the option of returning it. They said they could just stop the shipment and turn it around and it would take 3-5 days to process a FULL REFUND. They then transferred me to a supervisor and he told me it was an option even on BTO.

I ultimately decided to just wait because I want the computer. I just don't know why they would promise me don't go to the store I will have it to you by Friday and then say they have no control over FEDEX.

I'm not Mad. I've been a Apple customer for a while. I have had the 2.16, 2.33, 2.4, 2.6. and now the 2.8 Macbook Pros, I'm about to buy my 2nd Mac Pro, and my wife enjoys both a 24" iMac and a last revision black macbook. I've had a lot more positive experiences than negative ones. I would recommend you try to talk to someone before its delivered though.

Hope this helps.

4. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Not totally true. You can return BTO computers, just not in the store. You have to return it the same way you received it...through delivery service.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Really? I returned mine.

6. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

That's not true. See the attached from the Apple online store. Like I mentioned above though the Managers do have the ability to change the policy as they offered to do in the above mention scenario for me.

Attached Files:

7. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What about if it's been shipped but not received?
    Can it be cancelled? Or should I just try avoid taking delivery?

8. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

They told me you can't cancel once its been shipped, but they can stop the shipment and have it returned to them. They said they process a refund once they receive it and you will receive it within 5 business days.

They were making an exception to return it but I"m sure if you complain enough and ask to talk to a supervisor.

I decided to just let mine come because the store didn't get the 2.8.

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Well I guess Apple isn't aware of their own policy. I've known several people to return BTO computers. They just weren't able to do it at a brick and mortar store.

The best way to be sure is for the OP to call. He/she can always refuse the shipment too and have it returned.

10. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Here is the policy in its entirety. I'm not saying they won't take it back I'm just saying be aware of the policies and kindly skip over the first person you get on the phone and ask to talk to a supervisor because the person that handles the phone is probably just going to recite this policy to you.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong. They offered to return my BTO so I know they will take returns. I'm just saying skip over the regular apple CSR and go to their supervisor.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1469/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-20

11. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Your previous post was enough to prove your point that a policy existed. I was only sharing the experience of friends and colleagues. I didn't mean to offend you by stating that you were wrong, I was just going by the things I've witnessed. Take it easy.

As I'm sure you've witnessed numerous times on this board, Apple treats each individual case different. The OP should call and find out their options or simply refuse the package. Don't you agree that's the best way for him/her to figure out their next step?

12. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Absolutely. I agree with you entirely. I was never trying to argue about the point. Like I said in the previous post, he probably should skip over first level as they will recite the policy to him more than likely and if they give him a refund they are going to have to go to a 2nd level supervisor.

I don't have any doubt they will give him a refund. They actually made me a worthwhile offer not to cancel mine and send it back. But they were going to return mine without issue. I didn't have to yell. I just explained that someone had promised it by a certain date and I didn't get it and that I just wanted to go into the store and get one and he said he would return my BTO. The only reason I didn't go through with it was the store didn't have a comparable model and the manager made me an offer that made up for the extended shipping time.

13. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

14. James17 macrumors 6502

Built To Order i.e. custom configuration.

15. yoppie macrumors 6502a

BTO stands for Built to Order. Some people use CTO, configured to order.

It means that you didn't buy the stock computer. You added a bigger hard drive, memory, or some accessory like a video adapter.

16. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Build To Order

17. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for your info, I'll have to give them a call tomorrow, no wait, Monday. Hope the assistant is fluent in English cause my Japanese is still *****!

Hmm... I don't know should i 'just let mine come", it's like 340,000JPY machine cause I went for top specs on everything, then today I found the 15" with top specs for less.

If i allowed it to come.. I'll be the proud owner of :

Early 2007 MBP 2.2/4Mb 15"
    Early 2008 MBP 2.5/4Mb 15"
    Late 2008 MBP 2.6/4Mb 17"
    Early 2008 MP 2.8/20Gb + 30" ADC.

Seriously that's way too many terminals for one user!! And how many people actually owns two of different models from the same Chip family? like the late and early 2008 MBP?

18. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

If personally wouldn't use 3 MBP and a Mac Pro. If I were going to own 2 Macbook Pros it would definitely be 1 15 and 1 17. Once you use the hi-res 17 its hard to go back to anything else. I would prefer a 15 and 17 over two 15's.

I currently have a Early 2008 2.6 17 and ordered a Late 2008 15. That is to go with my homeade PC for gaming, a Mac Pro, wife's macbook, and a 24" iMac LOL.

I had a 2.4 17 but it got traded under warranty for the 2.6 I have now.

I sadly have owned every version of the MBP and upgraded with fairly little loss through eBay sell. People pay premium prices if you sell before the announcements.

19. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Originally.. the MBP15 2.2 goes in my camera bag for on-site work. I use it to remote controlling my dSLR and offload raw images from the FC. Occasionally I like to edit on-site and send them before leaving. When your used to 2560 by 1600, working on something that's 1400 by 900 feel very cramped! That's when i thought about getting the 17, hehe... But you know, saving money on a high end 15" is kinda wise... just forget I'd already ordered the 17! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to do now... I know i'll be offloading the 2.2 to someone, most probably be very cheap. Physically it's in good condition though it's been for service about five times

However, whenever i return to the MP then jump back to the laptop it feels painfully slooow!! That's why i thought about upgrading. Though, soon as I saw the specifications for the new unibody, well... I thought I better upgrade to the former model cause in my opinion the glassy screen is rancid (if others like it, that's ok! Just not for me.)

20. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Thats why we all have opinions. I love the new MBP. I wish I could have got another 17 but the 15 really works out for me. I do some photography work and video editing. I'm a huge nerd and have everything electronic you can imagine. I build custom cars and motorcycles and shoot photography for events quite often that ends up in magazines. Some of the concepts go from design on the screen to final product in the shop. I do prefer to use a large screen monitor rather than the notebook. However that being said I'm an attorney and I don't do any of those things to make a living so my opinion is obviously different from somebody that does this everyday instead of someone like me who does heavy photo editing on the weekend.
    I plan to take the notebook with me to court/work/class with me. It is going to work out fine.

If you do a lot of photo editing on the notebook though you will see a big jump over the 1440x900 on the 15 to the 17. I'm not going to say either is better than the other. The previous gen 17 has served me well, even though I had the gloss screen on all.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do. My biggest problem would be justifying to my wife why I need 3 MacBook Pro's if I were you. I like to compare my electronic toys to her designer shoes/purses/clothes but somehow I always lose that argument. LOL.