Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I know Apple is promoting the ibooks app and using the iPad as an e-reader, but how many here are actually going to use it in that way?

I know I've never been a big fan of e-readers and never had an inclination to buy a kindle or any other e-reader. I want the iPad for all its other abilities, not its ibooks feature. Yet, thinking about it, I've found myself more and more interested in actually reading books on the iPad. I think the fact I'll be using it all the time anyway, and I can just switch over and continue reading a book at any moment is a big incentive to read books on it. Also, having the Gutenberg books on it makes me finally want to read some classics I've never had time to get around to until now.

Anyone else thinking about using the iPad as an e-reader, or are you just getting it for all the other features?

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I'm not a big reader, so e-reader is not the main reason for buying the iPad. I'm a developer so I will be storing technical reference guides and such on the iPad.

One of publishers (Pragmatic Programmer) who's books I really like has the option to get them in ePub format aka iBook compatible.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
iBooks is one of the biggest reasons for my iPad purchase. I currently own a Kindle and am hoping that I can adjust to reading on an iPad. I'm not a hardcore reader, actually just the opposite, I just recently started reading for fun/hobby. I like my Kindle, but the multifunction capabilities of the iPad were too hard to pass up.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've always wanted an ereader, but could never quite justify getting a single-purpose ereader. Plus, the black and white screens of ereaders until now sucked. Can't wait to get the iPad. Was just watching the iPad Guided Tour Apple just put up, and Winnie-the-Pooh looked lovely on the iPad! Makes me want to go back and revisit all my childhood favorite books. :)

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
I use Stanza and the Kindle app on my iPod Touch and am really looking forward to using the iPad as an ereader. I will probably use it to surf the internet most though.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I will definitely try it as an e-reader and see how it compares to the Kindle.

ac4lt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
Broadlands, VA
Anyone else thinking about using the iPad as an e-reader, or are you just getting it for all the other features?

A primary use will be as an ereader. My 6" ereader just isn't big enough for 8x5x11 pdf documents. Plus I find the dedicated ereader a bit clunk to use. However, I'm sure I'll be using it a bunch for email and surfing and photo viewing.

rittchard

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
I definitely will be - I'll have at least one docking station on the nightstand so I can read in bed before going to sleep.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I've been stocking up on O'Reilly ebooks (mostly technical books, programming manuals, etc) this week, as well as a few folders of ebooks from Feedbooks.com. All are DRM free ePUB files.

My plan is to keep the iPad next to my laptop/desktop while programming for quick searches in the references. With Pastebot I should also be able to copy code snippets from the iPad to the Mac in a heartbeat, making the tedious task of transcribing code from a book a thing of the past.

My dream would be if Dover Publications would offer their library of out-of-print technical and science books electronically (and well formatted). Being able to carry and search those titles would change the way I do research.

Of course, I will also be using the iPad for dozens of other non-reading/non-work tasks, but the applications to my day-to-day working life are foremost in my mind.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
50/50 chance. I already own an e-ink reader (Sony) and I feel like the iPad may be too unwieldy in my usual reading positions.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
I'm still leery of eye strain on the iPad. But I for one won't be using it as an e-reader. I still enjoy the old paperbacks...

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
I definitely will be. I read books on my iPod Touch all the time, so the larger screen will be a breath of fresh air.

ImaVeggie

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I most definitely will be reading books on it. I have a Kindle DX, which I'll sell once I know for sure that the Kindle app is approved for the iPad. The Kindle has made me love to read. Primary reason I'm getting the iPad is to read on it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My Sony Reader 505 will be retired on Saturday and probably sold in a couple weeks when I have time to do so.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
I should probably mention that I have a Sony 505 Reader and will be dropping it for the iPad. I was very close to buying a Kindle DX before Apple made its announcement. I was really waiting on the PlasticLogic Que proReader, but once it was announced that it would be $649 for the base model (WiFi, eInk, 4GB), it was a no brainer to just buy an iPad.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I have a kindle 2, which I will probably keep, but I will definitely use the ipad for reading as well (especially at night when my bf is asleep and I want to read - right now I use my iphone, but the screen lock will be really helpful b/c if I turn on my side, my iphone rotates). I plan on moving some of my magazine subscriptions over to the ipad as well, and I REALLY, REALLY hope that they start to port some of the more popular manga publishers over, because I would love to be able to read manga on my iphone and the ipad, but I want the big name publishers like Viz and Tokyopop.

Viz had this to say about the iPad:

"Here at VIZ we're all buzzing with excitement about the iPad, both because many of us want to get our hands on one but also because of the tremendous possibilities it opens up for digital publishing of illustrated books. It appears that the long-standing challenges posed by questions of resolution, sizing, and color have disappeared. This certainly appears to be the device that will allow users to carry a library of manga around with them everywhere."

"That said, as for our plans, keep in mind that given our relationship to Japanese licensors any strategy we develop must by definition be global... this poses additional challenges that need to be fully addressed before we can think of actively participating in what is, no doubt, an extremely cool new technology."

- Gonzalo Ferreyra, Vice President, Sales & Marketing

AndrewS

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bourbon Country
I've got a Sony PRS-300 mini eReader.

I'm going to use the iPad as my main reader once there is a Calibre profile so I can get all my eBooks converted to ePub format.

Can't wait.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I plan on it, mostly for tech and educational books though. I prefer reading those types of books over say Harry Potter, although I would go pick up the Dark Tower books.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
DEFINITELY. Main reason I bought it. The lightweight and magazine-like form factor make it perfect.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
I am a voracious reader and bought the first Kindle within five minutes of its introduction, then the Kindle 2. I tried the DX but thought it was a serious clunker -- screen size was great but the keyboard sucked and I thought why carry this beast around? It's almost the size of a computer!

Enter iPad -- the size of the DX but no clunky keyboard, gorgeous interface, and you can do everything under the sun with it! (OK, except actually reading in bright sun -- that might be a problem. . .)

My Kindle will go to that place in the sky where all old electronics go. I can't wait for the iPad to replace it, and for the Kindle app on the iPad so that I can read what I've already ordered on the Kindle. Once that's done my new purchases will be through iTunes, no doubt.

Much has been written about the so-called e ink eyestrain advantage and I think it's nonsense. Kindle is not as bright as a regular book is, so you frequently have to use a booklight. Talk about eyestrain! Booklights suck!

I can't wait for my iPad! And you betcha I'm gonna read on it -- like crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.