Who's added a line to a share plan to get a 5s and then replaced plan with an Ipad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touaregv10, Sep 21, 2013.

1. touaregv10 macrumors newbie

Has anyone successfully added a line on Verizon (share plan) to get a 5s and then swapped the device to a Verizon iPad? Effectively reducing the data from $30 to $10 per month on the new line!

2. segrobja macrumors regular

I'm curious about this as well. I searched for an answer and apparently other Verizon users have been adding lines and then switching them out for basic phones and putting the new phone on the other line. This would be along the same lines as that.

3. touaregv10 thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've heard, Verizon is less resistant to change from a data phone plan to an ipad data plan. I assume it's possibly the fact that it's not going back to just a non data phone. I'm hoping someone who's succeeded with this or someone that can clarify verizon policy on this will chime in.

4. segrobja macrumors regular

Me too, I feel like giving it a shot and seeing what happens. Plenty of 16GB 5s for Verizon in stock in my area.

5. segrobja macrumors regular

Successfully did this today. Added the line. Swapped the iPhone 5s out on the second line for my iPad 3 online. Then swapped the 5s for my 5 on my main line. iPad dropped the 2nd line to $10. No issues, no hangups.

6. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Verizon?

7. dtjay7 macrumors regular

That is what I did. I had the iPad and waited to get the iPhone to set the data up on it.

8. touaregv10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great to hear. Did you first set up the 5s on the new line and then make the online change? I assume that's the case, but just curious if you might have done it without activating the 5s on the new line first?

9. segrobja macrumors regular

Yes for Verizon. And yes I activated the new phone on the new line first, then switched it.

10. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I'm trying to do this exact same thing. I was told at Verizon they no longer did it. Can you tell me exactly how to do it? Currently I have 3 smartphones and 1 ipad mini on a family share everything plan.

Add new line, purchase phone at verizon. Come home and online, exchange new iphone with ipad line? Then switch new iphone to the number I want to use? Then finally put ipad back on in new lines place?

Thank you very much if you can walk me through this.

11. segrobja macrumors regular

I think our situations are different. I had 1 line on a share everything plan and never added my iPad to it. So I added the 2nd line at Radio Shack and then went home and added my iPad to my new 2nd line replacing the 5s and then swapped the 5s that was on the new line with the 5 on the main line. Make sense?

12. touaregv10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx Segrobja. I'm proposing to do the same as I currently have a Verizon Ipad not on my plan. Specifically, what area did you go into online to successfully transfer the iPad?

For those with iPads already on a plan, I think the only option would be to drop it off the plan and then re-add to the new line. Of course, I wouldn't drop an iPad tied to a contract....ONLY an iPad on a Month-to-Month plan.

13. segrobja macrumors regular

Did it all online under the device management section. Just had to enter MEID and SIM ID for the devices and it all worked and went through.

14. touaregv10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is the iPad SIM ID easily obtained? I have the iPad 2, which has no SIM access to see the card itself. Thx

15. segrobja macrumors regular

Go in to the About section of settings. It's called ICCID or something like that.

16. touaregv10 thread starter macrumors newbie

ICCID clears that up...thx. I wouldn't have known that to be the SIM ID otherwise!

Cheers!