Who's Afraid of The Terminator?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spaceboots06, Jul 29, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

We thought we'd conquered another hill by landing on the moon, but we haven't held it. We could plant a flag, but not a flower.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111193415

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

People keep speaking of developing artificial intelligence, but how could they really do it? Artificial intelligence so far are complex programs, but essentially just programs with if and else statements. And some randomization thrown in. How can self-awareness possibly arise from code? And how can it possibly expand it's knowledge (in essence, writing it's own code)?

It will always be stuck within our own limitations, and I cannot see how self-awareness and true consciousness can arise out of code.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Personally, I'm looking forward to life after uploading. Bring it on.

Quantum computing. And beside, humans are more "code driven" than you might think.

4. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I agree that people can sometimes act as if they were programmed but I do also think that artificial intelligence is thousands of years away. The Asimo is "advanced" but can only do what it was programmed to do. And not flawlessly, either.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Every human is "programmed" whether they care to admit it or not. The programming begins just after birth by parents and is continued by society until death. Virtually everything you believe or know regarding any subject or aspect of life or living as a human is a result of that programming.

RE: AI, or super AI

Baring the self-extermination of the human race and/or a total breakdown of society, digital super-intelligence is doable this century. Passing a Turing test, is just around the corner...

6. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Are you excited for "Transcendent Man" to be released as much as I am? I mean, I believe like maybe 50% of the stuff but I find people's predictions, namely Kurzweil's, fascinating.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The first time I played a Kurzweil electronic keyboard instrument I knew its creator was a genius. ;) I hope to see "Transcendent Man", but I'll probably have to make a meca to civilization as nothing "intelligent" ever plays on the local big screens here in Podunk.

Is Kurzweil's "The Singularity is Near" movie still a go?

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

OMG! i thought of this idea. the uploading of the consciousness and the nanobots repairing part! god! why is everyone stealing my ideas? Next they are gonna steal my design for a cloaking device.

9. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

No idea. I know that Transcendent Man is in the post processing phase and is expected to be released in '09. Hopefully that means September or October, not December...