Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
BS. People, crowds, the masses, whatever, are terrible at valuing what is actually important. Apple is a good deal. Its better to spend $250 on an iPod that you'll actually use, then $200 for some Creative POS that has more "features" but winds up in your tech junk drawer because, its, well, a POS.

People make decisions based on features, but studies show people prefer ease of use in the long term. Humans are just bad decision makers when it comes to choosing what will make us happy.

This is one of the reasons that the Apple cult gets so much attention. People don't understand whats so great about Apple, but if you actually use their products, you get really into them because they work so well, despite their apparent "lacking" in the "features."

This is true for the US market and other western markets, but over here in Asia, Creative, Samsung, all these other MP3 players are really hot, the iPod is just too expensive for many people, the difference of like $20-50 is a lot in their currency plus import taxes (some places) .

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
BS. People, crowds, the masses, whatever, are terrible at valuing what is actually important. Apple is a good deal. Its better to spend $250 on an iPod that you'll actually use, then $200 for some Creative POS that has more "features" but winds up in your tech junk drawer because, its, well, a POS.

People make decisions based on features, but studies show people prefer ease of use in the long term. Humans are just bad decision makers when it comes to choosing what will make us happy.

This is one of the reasons that the Apple cult gets so much attention. People don't understand whats so great about Apple, but if you actually use their products, you get really into them because they work so well, despite their apparent "lacking" in the "features."

what do you do if you need a feature/function and you dont have it? you just look the other way?

its like a laptop not having firewire port, and you need a firewire port to connect to your camera, DV cam, etc. if you dont have FW, you just dont have it, you cant get. if an ipod doesnt have a feature, you cant upgrade it, you are MISSING the functionality

for me, i NEED to play videos, i need the radio for traffic updates before i leave work, i need to have the unit act as a UMS with no restrictions.

just because functions are there but no one uses them either because they dont know what they are, or they dont know they are there doesnt mean the function is useless.

the ipod is more likely to end up in a drawer because #1 non removeable battery, #2 it lacks the functionality, when it cant do something the user will get a player than CAN, and then has no use for the ipod, #3 ipods on average will not last more than 2 years (just look at how many premature failures there are, which is why warranty is 1 year, apple will only stand behind it for as long as they need too)

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
the ipod is also a rip off

8GB ipod Nano ~$300-$320 CDN
8GB Meizu M6 ~$150-$170 shipped including a silicone case ($10), a crystal hard case (ipod cases are $25-30), Arm band (dont know what ipod armbands cost), kick stand for picture viewing (like a digi photo frame) duties and taxes incl. all CDN

My Meizu made beep beep beep!!!

My Meizu devoured my Canadian paper!

sigh*

It was a good Canadian paper...

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
I am convinced all the guys on that forum are actually paid bloggers hired by m$. Each of them thinks that everyone else there has a genuine interest in the m$ turd. It is a ecosystem maintained by deceit and greed, like anything else from them.

An outsider reading these forums may well think everyone here is paid by Apple.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I guess we all know who is behind the iPhone badmouthing!

i guess we all know whos behind the everything thats not apple badmouthing

2 way street.

im someone that looks at the details on paper, that factors in cost per feature, factors in reliability, factors in usability, apple usually never gets a high rating on those categories, only looks. usability does not mean how "fluid" the animations are, usability includes, can i connect to what i need to connect to? can i specify my own settings rather then everything being automated.

example of this, bluetooth on mac, usability, currently on the mac mini at work, i cannot USE A2DP, i cannot USE bluetooth FTP, this is because the mac bluetooth stack doesnt support it. therefore its not useable for what i need it to be used for. (there are other functions i simply cannot do on a mac, same with the ipod and same with the MBP)

reliability? only as reliable as chinese devices can get (ipod battery premature failure comes to mind), ill stick with my taiwanese device, thanks. the most best electronics are from taiwan, IE: Asus

cost? apple is never the cheapest period, apple is a business, their priority is not the peoples need, its money (refer to ipod vs any other mp3 player, itunes only works properly with other apple mp3 players, hence locking you in to ONLY their products)

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
Too bad that precious Meizu only exists as a perdy computer mockup and changes every other week as they invent some new reason to stay in the news...the iPhone ripoff one that is.

What???:confused: It isn't because someone says it is, but it is because YOU say it is?:eek:
Hm... let's ignore the paragraph directly following that statement why don't we?

Ummm.. I think groundbreaking would be the E=mc^2? You're saying this device is that groundbreaking? When you step back from all the hype, it compiles several already invented devices into one (and lowers all quality of all the other inventions).

Cool idea, yes. Groundbreaking not even close. In five years people are going to laugh at it. No one's laughing at Einstein.
I'm sorry if I'm trolling, but some people need a reality check.
You are trolling. There are plenty of revolutionary features in the iPhone, and I'm not going to bother detailing them to you at this point. A friend and I recently had a conversation about whether we'll remember this point in history as the iPhone somehow "revolutionizing" anything, or whether its just marketing hype. I see revolution. Again, I'll post the details elsewhere. Far more important people to argue with than you. ;) I'm not clear you even know what you're saying and that's hard to debate against.

~ CB

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Again, I'll post the details elsewhere. Far more important people to argue with than you. I'm not clear you even know what you're saying and that's hard to debate against. I'm not clear you even know what you're saying and that's hard to debate against.

~ CB

OUCH. Troll. I'm not sure I ever called you insignificant, but all right? Seems almost rational to say I'm trolling.

PS - I suggest you read what I wrote again if it's not clear to you. OR you can spend more time agreeing with your more important people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.