Who's Buying Kindle 2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gan6660, Feb 10, 2009.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Jim Prenke
    John Stein
    Kelly Roberts
    Regis Philbin
    Alan Marcus
    Susan Williams
    Andy Cohen
    Weezie

That's all I know so far.

3. calculus Guest

calculus

4. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

no one. they could buy a ipod touch for cheaper and have a better ebook reader that can fit more books and has a ton of more awesome features

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yup, a 3.5" screen is AWESOME for casual reading....:rolleyes:

6. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

If I wanted something for reading... I would prefer the iPod touch. It's cheaper and you get an iPod. The cool thing about the Kindle 2 is that you get 3G for free.

7. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I think I will stick with my Touch, even though I do not use it for reading books.

8. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

its better than paying 400$ for a bigger but still tiny screen so yeah:mad:

9. gwangung macrumors 65816

Then I guess Jobs was right---nobody reads anymore. (Size of a Kindle screen is the size of a decent paperback).

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do people who say that an iPhone could be an eReader have any idea what e-ink is? :confused:

If you don't flip a page, the Kindle will last for weeks since it uses nearly all its power when you flip a page. Using an iPhone makes no sense. :confused: Perhaps you can read for a few minutes, or an hour or so. However, reading your computer screen for an hour causes way more eyestrain than reading a Kindle (unless you're sitting in the dark).

The service offered by Amazon is far better than the Sony eReader. The Kindle does cost a bit more though. You get free mobile internet access to download books, newspapers, and magazines whenever you want, and wherever you can get a Sprint mobile signal (i.e. a large part of America). You also get free access to Wikipedia, and access to internet blogs.

Anyway, I want a Plastic Logic A4-sized reader because I'm more interested in reading PDFs, but if I wanted one to read novels (and lived in the US of A), there's no way I'd buy an iPhone to read eBooks. I'd get a Kindle.

11. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Looks like they solved a lot of the issues with the first version. Still a bit too pricey for me, and I want PDF capability.

But they're on the right track.

12. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

If the Kindle was in the 200 $ range.... I would probably consider it. But, 360 bucks ... no thanks. But, they are on the right track, which is cool.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Funny thing is I'm sure that if I bought one, id be reading ALOT more.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not me. I don't want another device to carry with me, remember to charge, etc. I love reading on my iPhone using eReader.

15. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

im thinking about getting one for my mother. shes been interested, but just cant seem to make the plunge.

she doesnt read much now, but states that if she were to own a kindle she would be reading much more.

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it's tempting, but I don't think I'd use it enough for it to be worth the price. I may get one in a few revisions if the price comes down.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But using the screen so much means that you need to charge the iPhone more often.

Also, if someone's willing to carry a paperback or magazine with them, then they're certainly willing to carry one of these. It's far thinner than a paperback. For those people, this is awesome.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm tempted, but the price is hard for me to justify. Plus, I'd miss being able to stock my bookshelf.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but it is still just one device. Don't get me wrong, I think the Kindle is a great device. But for me, I'm looking at reducing the number of devices that I carry. If I want a larger screen, I can use eReader on my MBP.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If it had been on sale in the UK I would have bought one in a heartbeat…
    Since it isn't. I won't be.
    :eek:

21. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I don't understand the 3G connection. It has to add such a huge price of the reader. Seriously, cannot people download via a wifi connection in home, starbucks, work, and just store books on it.

For me, I already have a nice library of books, so why would I pay $369 PLUS pay for each book... I just don't get the concept. I read two or three business books per week. I am a book aficionado, and I don't get the Kindle 2 concept at all. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I can take a book everywhere and don't have to worry about Internet connection, battery times, and another device to secure and carry with me that someone would want to steal. Never had a book stolen, but if I left that sitting on a table in the library, someone would lift it in a heartbeat.

I personally don't get it. Maybe someone could explain what I am missing here?

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well the 3G is great because newspapers automagically gets sent to you every morning, magazines get sent to you each month (or whenever), and blog updates are sent to you throughout the day. You can't guarantee that with WiFi. All this happens whether you're sitting in a train, or on a 10 day vacation somewhere in the US. Doesn't matter if you just travelled from NY to Florida, because you'll still get all your reading material, and without the bulk.

Ok, I guess you've actually paid for the internet hardware inside, and the connection itself, but if you keep the device for 4-5 years, the additional cost over a $200 Sony e-Reader isn't much if you're going to subscribe, download books, and browse web news-sites. Of course, you also have access to Wikipedia, a free dictionary, and basic internet access to Google News, blogs, etc. It's basic internet, but it's internet, and there's no monthly fee.

My step-dad reads a book every 2 or 3 days. If he had a Kindle, he could go on vacation without bringing 3 novels with him, and a bunch of magazines. He'd probably never need to charge his battery during his trip either, since a charged Kindle can handle 8000-10,000 page flips before running out of battery power. ;)

iPods are pretty useless for people who don't have the desire to listen to music all the time, or don't want to watch videos on a small device. :confused: At least with the Kindle, I could also browse Google News.

Too bad I can't get this outside the US. :rolleyes:

23. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Better arrangements have to be made with publishing companies - particularly those that deal with expensive, library binding academic works.

In addition to purchasing the kindle book at a reduced cost to the print copy, there should also be the option to upgrade the purchase of a print copy to include a kindle copy for an additional fee.

Given the following options:
    Pay $110 for a print book
    Pay $88 for an ebook to be put on a $360 device

I'll take the former.

Now if the option to pay $125-$140 for both, this could be a particular attractive device for a certain segment of book buyers.

24. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Me. Sure I wish it was cheaper, but it's the best e-reader out there.

25. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

To the guy who said he can "bring a book" just as easy. That is true, you can bring one book. Carrying the Kindle is as if you were carrying thousands of books. You cannot do that "just as easy."

It definitely has its purposes, to try to downplay them is foolish.