Who's buying more iTunes content with the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Apr 6, 2012.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Ok, I was pretty excited about the retina display versions of the iPad when it was announced, but when I first got it on launch day, I was underwhelmed. Perhaps to much hype. But now, after using it for 3 weeks, I'm completely enamored. When high definition content is viewed on it, it's an absolute joy. Now my quandary, are other people also buying more movies/tv shows from iTunes because the 1080p content looks so good on it? I used to get content from other sources (wink), but now, since I what the highest compatable resolution possible, iTunes is the surest route. Also the iCloud feature is for me a game changer. Being able to delete these large files after I've watched them and then redownload them if I want to later, increases the value of the product tremendously.

Perhaps some of it is the novelty of the new device, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying more from iTunes for this iPad than I did for the original and the iPad 2. Anyone else noticing the same trend?

------

As a total aside, I got the Mad Magazine app and it looks great too. What a blast from the past that's now been updated for this new medium. The magazine's humor always relied on fastidiously reading all the tiny details on its pages, now on the retina display, it's a real treat.

2. Angler macrumors regular

+1

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm using Hulu+ now, which I never did on my old iPad 2. And I'm back reading books on it again, which I did for a while on the iPad 2 but then kinda stopped. because lengthy reading session were hard on the eyes. The new screen is definitely easier to look at.

4. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Hopefully Hulu+ and Netflix get upgraded to stream 1080p soon. Right now I think the ABC Player is the only app that does. It's free too :). Modern Family and The Middle are two of my favs on it.

5. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

How long do your 1080p rentals take to download? Also can you play them while it's still downloading?

6. urkel, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

As amazing as HD content looks on the iPad, I still would never watch a first-run movie on an iPad. I get that sometimes youre on the go and I've got 10GB of old encoded TV Shows on my iPad/iPhone but (to me) if a movie is good enough to warrant its $20 iTunes price tag then I'm not going to limit my experience by watching on a 9.7" screen with headphones while on the bus. I'd wait to get home to watch on a big TV with the proper audio setup and a controlled environment.

And for the standard rant... Digital content pricing is too high. There's no physical packaging, no inventory issues, faster checkout and it's locked down by DRM. So why would a digital copy cost so much more than a physical version. IMO, price is a big roadblock in people moving to "all digital" and many opinions would change if they would have "bargain bin" movies and "new-release" sales.

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I agree with not watching movies on the iPad, unless it's old hits you are using to pass the time. I will never swap out my 58" plasma with sound system for a 9.7 inch screen and headphones.

I see no reason Apple charges much more for an HD copy than a standard definition copy of a movie. HD should be the standard on all devices that support it, not a paid upgrade.

With that said, $14.95 for buying a relativley new movie (with iCloud backup included, 1080p HD) and $7.95 for a catalog title would make me buy a lot of movies.

For now I find it ridiculous that a movie costs less on blu-ray via retail than it does as a digital copy on iTunes. At the very least, the studios and Apple should get together and agree to lower the prices to what the actual discs cost at retail at the biggest retail shops (Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy).

8. Angler macrumors regular

Can you back up movies purchased from iTunes to iCloud?

9. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I think a lot of people anticipated more consumption on the iPad 3 and got bigger storage. I suspect that more 32's and 64's were sold on a percentage basis of the iPad 3 than the iPad 2.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new iPad.

10. David Menzel macrumors member

Yes I'm buying more and more content from iTunes and more magazines in Newsstand but I'm not sure if it happens because of the new iPad or the ever growing digital content offering from Apple. But anyway, it definitely makes more fun to watch movies, tv, shoes, read newspapers ... on the new iPad.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

My content purchasing habits on iTunes hasn't changed. It's the same as it was on my previous two iPads.

12. Dimorphic macrumors member

Dimorphic

Having an Apple TV has me buying 1080p movies from iTunes rather than BluRay, but otherwise I'm the same with the 3rd gen iPad as I was with the iPad 2