Who's chrome back already has some nice slashes in it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by skiltrip, Sep 10, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just noticed I already have some nasty scratches in my chrome. lol. I haven't even had this thing for 24 hours yet. And I baby it. I don't even know when it happened. too funny. it doesn't bother me, just thought I'd ask if anyone else has some nice gashes yet.

2. cityathrt macrumors regular

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

good thinking. i just decided to not give a crap. whatever happens happens. I have some cheap Chinese cases on the way, and when I can get a better case, I'll get it. but for now, I feel like a scratched and smudgy back is no uglier than just a smudgy back. They both look pretty hideous.

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Mine scratched after not even one day of light use. I basically just played around with it at home, and layed it down carefully on surfaces when I wasn't using it. I guess that wasn't good enough, as the thing managed to get about 100 tiny little scratches. Fortunately it looks like I'll be getting a fresh one because there's a defect with the one I have, but that's not the point. The only explanation I can think of for why Apple stubbornly sticks with this design choice year after year is because they want it to scratch so that we'll want to buy new ones.

5. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Mine had a very slight scratch from when I opened it (I didn't make it). Though the back is free of scratches other than that. I'm currently using a iPT 2/3Gen rubber case that fits okay as well as a soft pouch my original PSP-1001 came in.

6. cgoodwin22 macrumors member

i immediately put my new itouch in my old 3g silicon case...it's a little big for the new one...but it fits fine. the only difference is it doesn't have a hole for the camera.

7. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Try clear contact paper, it is sticky though, so be careful. Some brands of it are less sticky than others. But I have wrapped several devices with it in the past and they didn't have scratches when I took it off. It worked best on a Nintendo GBA SP especially on the top part which was a scratch magnet due to cheap paint.

I wonder if clear vinyl without adhesive would stick to the back, that works sometimes too.

There are chinese cases on ebay for .99 with free shipping, so if you need fast protection I would use one of those. They can't be that bad.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I got 7 of those 99 cent cases on their way in different colors.

9. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

I don't care about scratches on the back of the iPod Touch. I could make scratches on purpose. My 2nd gen looks like hell back there.
    The action is going on on the screen side of the device... and as long as the screen is scratch-free, I'm happy.

10. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Yeah I think I am gonna order one of those chinese cases now since shipping takes a long time on them and its preferable for me to have the case before I get the device so I can just put the case on as soon as I take the iPod out of the package.

11. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I wish I could have done that. They should be here any day though.

12. Kowaku macrumors newbie

Why do you guys care so much about the scratches on the back. My 30GB iPod Video from 4 years ago has millions of tiny scratches on the back, and I don't care. It doesn't affect the functions of the iPod.

13. fwoppers macrumors member

It's mostly a mental thing. You pay so much for something, you want it to be in the best physical condition possible so you think it retains it's value longer. A year from now, I would be more content with a nice shiny-backed Touch than a muddled up, scratched one. :p

On-topic, I've had mine for a couple of days now, and there are miniscule scratches in the back. I've been using it naked (the iPod, not me), but I hope to buy a cheapie case soon, and then a nicer one after there are more in the market.

14. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Resale value purposes, a non scratched ipod that has been in a case since day 1 has much better value on the secondary market then one that looks abused. I know I am gonna want to sell this thing eventually even if its 2 years from now (and I haven't even bought it yet, heh) cause iPods become outdated so quickly. Overall its worth a couple bucks for a case to protect it for this reason alone considering you can get cases that offer even basic protection so cheaply these days.. Also some people want to keep their stuff looking nice and neat as possible especially when spending a good chunk of money on it.

15. Crigger540 macrumors member

Crigger540

EXACTLY!

16. st0ner macrumors newbie

bought ny iPod Touch in release date, no scratches yet! Thanks to cling/glad/saran wrap :) but, there are defects with this one, so it does really matter anymore...

17. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

Yeah, resale value is (almost) the only real argument.
    If you put the device in a case/sleeve, you're not gonna see the back side anyway :rolleyes:

18. ELBdelorean macrumors member

I have a couple of scratches near the bottom. The only reason they're there is because the sync cable is a pain to get in, at least for me. Has anyone else had that problem?

19. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

20. mw12a macrumors newbie

Yes, the connector is very tight on mine - I thought there was something wrong with the cable the first time I tried putting it in. Hopefully it will loosen up with use.

21. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Both my new touches were pretty tight at first too. They ease up eventually.

22. MsMerryMac macrumors regular

I have two very small, but still there. argh. I'm not ordering a Chinese rubber (lol) but am waiting for a good solid case. So tell me about the saran wrap. Do you wrap the whole thing or just slap it onto the back?

23. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

I covered the back of mine with 2 strips of Blue 3M tape--the kind that's for delicate surfaces--until I can find a case.

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I hope mine won't have any scratches,I bought a case for it and it will go on the case as soon as I get it. :p

25. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

Yeah I want a maroon case, but I couldn't find one so I ordered a $3 plum purple one (listed as hot pink, hope its really not that but I liked the color in the picture) which was the closest I could find to maroon. Its a TPU case from ebay. I have no problems with a chinese rubber (lol) if I like it I won't have to get another case.

You could probably just stick saran wrap to the back, I guess it would stick, I don't know cause i have not tried before, but it is better than nothing.