Who's connected to me wireless?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Halcyon, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Halcyon macrumors 6502

Does OSX10.5 have any build in function where you can "see" who is connected to your wireless net? Is third party software needed for this?

TIA

2. kolax macrumors G3

Go to your router preferences, and it will list all connected computers, their assigned IP and their network MAC addresses.

3. CTJoyce macrumors member

There are programs to figure this out, but the quickest and easiest way is to just go to your routers administration page, and click on the DHCP table, or connected devices tab.

Cheers
    Cameron

4. Halcyon thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

If someone can post any name of the applications I would be really grateful. :apple:

6. CTJoyce macrumors member

As long as your encrypted you really don't need to worry about this. Every decent router on the market at the moment supports WEP 64/128 bit encryption, and WPA2 Personal and Enterprise. I personally use WPA2 Personal because I can remember a normal word password better then a hex key like WEP uses.

Unless your neighbors really want to steal internet from you, WEP 64bit is enough to keep most leechers out.

Cheers
    Cameron

7. kolax macrumors G3

Way to completely avoid answering his question..

8. CTJoyce macrumors member

9. portent macrumors 6502a

That's because the question is not really worth bothering with. If he's got an unsecured network, people will be using it, sooner or later. He'd have to watch it constantly, anyone passing through the neighborhood could appear and disappear. Even if he were watching it, what good would that knowledge do him or anyone else?

If he wants to keep his network secure, he should lock it down. Otherwise, random people absolutely will go onto his network, and there will be no way to tell who they are.. (Unless he wants to hunt down hardware addresses by filing lawsuits and subpoenaing computer manufacturers.)

10. kolax macrumors G3

Why do people jump to conclusions that just because you want an application that will monitor your network activity, you are using an unsecured network or trying to make sure no one is accessing it illegally?

Nothing wrong with monitoring your network - back when I was setting up my Apple TV, I had problems with it going onto the network, and using an application like that would allow me to instantly see if it has joined the network without problems.

11. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

12. CTJoyce macrumors member

I thought that was just a network finder, and not actually able to let you know what was going on with the clients on a network.

Cheers
    Cameron