Who's disabled rootless mode and why?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ZVH, Dec 21, 2015.

1. ZVH macrumors 6502

I curious how many have disabled rootless mode and why they did so. Even if it was just to install something like cDock (and then re-enabling it) will count. I'm just trying to get a handle on how problematic it's been.

2. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

me, first thing after upgrading to el cap.

because I am root.

only problem is that it re-enables itself if I zap the PRAM so I need to keep that in mind.

cheers

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't disable it. I think its a good security feature and I see no reason to disable it.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i turn it off it i want to install or change something OS-related....then turn it back on. no reason to leave it off (but great to have control over that).

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

XtraFinder
    Bartender
    Some SIMBL plugins
    cDock

and because it's just generally annoying to me because I like to mess with system stuff sometimes.

6. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Me also...

7. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I turn it off to run CAT on my late 2011 MBP with a 2012 BT/WiFi card. Allows for Handoff/Airdrop between my iPhone 6+ and MBP.

8. redheeler, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

On my Retina iMac I have it disabled. I use XtraFinder, cDock (have the default Dock currently though), BetterTouchTool, ThemeEngine, and have changed the icons of a few stock apps. The tiny bit of added security isn't worth repeatedly booting into Recovery to enable/disable it for someone like me who likes to customize their Mac.

9. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Do all those things require disabling rootless? I have bettertouchtool as well but never messed around with the system. Is there some additional capability that app would have if I did?

10. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Latest version of Bartender works without disabling.

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

does it? (just curious). or does it work because you installed it previously, disabling SIP in the process? (am curious as i use bartender, but am sure i had to disable SIP initially to install it)...

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

With Bartender 2 you no longer need to disable SIP at all. The only restriction is it cannot control the Spotlight menu item unless you disable SIP, but it can manage everything else.

13. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

cDock and XtraFinder. I didn't even know BetterTouchTool requires it to be disabled, I use that too. And I wanted to remove the Spotlight item with Bartender, so there's another reason.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I've disabled it.

My Macs always ran fine before "rootless" entered the picture.
    Never had a virus or problem in 28 years of Mac'ing.

But then again, as a matter of course, I permanently disable Spotlight, Time Machine, all "cloud" stuff, etc.

But that's just me.
    Too old to change now.

15. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

ah, then i needed to disable SIP for the moment anyway (no need for the spotlight icon...command-spacebar is just too easy...) :cool:

16. lstone19 macrumors member

I've disabled it on both my laptop as well as my "server" desktop (I put server in quotes because it's not OS X Server but I am running various server software on it).

On my laptop, my employer's VPN software needed to install something and for now, does it in a SIP-protected directory.

On my "server", I run my own version of Postfix (mail server) which needs to replace something in /usr/sbin/. Note that this is not something most users would ever be doing.

There was one other thing that required it but I've since changed my software configuration to move that out of a SIP-protected directory.

17. Fangio macrumors 6502

HDMI Audio. As long as there's no other way SIP takes a back seat to it.

18. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

isn't this built in? i play surround sound albums, and watch surround sound movies (from my mac thru plex). what does this do differently?

19. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I'm a tweaker. I don't want to be denied root level access. And I had no issues all this time through all the various OSX's that came before that didn't use this feature, so I think I'll be fine.

20. jasnw macrumors 6502

If you've disabled Spotlight are you able to search in Mail, or have you (a) blown off this capability in order to get rid of Spotlight or (b) use some other mail app? I've got Spotlight pared back as much as possible, but can't turn it off because I do want to be able to search in Mail.

21. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

personally...i just removed the menubar icon. easy to use command-spacebar. but...why anyone disable spotlight completely? it's such a great resource... (am curious, anyway)...

22. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

How do you remove the menubar icon?

23. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

bartender (at least, that's what i use. also removed notification center...). and i manually removed the location services icon that pops up every time i wake my mac, or forecast bar checks the weather...

24. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Bartender is amazing. A bit expensive for what it does but I am buying it anyway, my – I won't say OCD but, yeah, my need for cleanness on the status bar is VERY happy thanks to Bartender.

25. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

agreed. but (especially on the 13" mbp, and i imagine, on the airs, and the 12" mb), menu bar real estate is valuable. wish apple gave us more options with things like this (i can, for example, remove wifi from the menu, but can't hide spotlight)...