Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I can't make sense of this guys logic. I think what he means is that the iPad 2018 is best for him (personally). But he seems to be citing specs that are inferior and then arguing they are better than the superior technologies in other, more expensive models?!

I'm not citing specs, but my personal subjective opinion especially in terms of price for what you get (i.e., value). I get you're an Apple fan boy and anything they tell you is better you buy into. Apple marketing specs don't affect my choices and opinions.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I'm not citing specs, but my personal subjective opinoon, especially in terms of price for what you get (i.e., value). I get you're an Apple fan boy and anything they tell you is better you buy into. Apple marketing specs don't affect my choices and opinions.

Nothing beats the 9.7" iPad for value, I agree there.

I probably do fall into the fanboy camp, but what I'm saying isn't Apple's marketing, even Apple haters can objectively tell you that the components we're talking about are superior comparing one to the other. FYI, when you talk about laminated vs. non laminated, that's citing specs.

Also FYI, the value of the budget iPad is a huge Apple marketing tool (based on pure truth if you ask me). But it's almost certainly influencing your preference for that model over the Air, whether you admit it or not..

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
Laminated is better to me for the simple fact that when you tap the screen it doesn't make a loud hollow clunky noise. I could never get used to that. Makes the screen feel like cheap plastic. But with that said, if your main use case was media consumption and web browsing, that cheaper iPad can't be beat for value. I bought 3 last year and gave them to older family members who are new to this type of tech. They were resistant to using one for awhile, and now it's basically attached to their hands whenever they sit down.

Reactions: 0989382

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Laminated is better to me for the simple fact that when you tap the screen it doesn't make a loud hollow clunky noise. I could never get used to that. Makes the screen feel like cheap plastic. But with that said, if your main use case was media consumption and web browsing, that cheaper iPad can't be beat for value. I bought 3 last year and gave them to older family members who are new to this type of tech. They were resistant to using one for awhile, and now it's basically attached to their hands whenever they sit down.
When I first got the original iPad Air, the thumpy screen was the first thing I noticed that was different from past models. I liked the original Air a lot, but that non-laminated screen felt and sounded annoying to me for all the same reasons you're citing. At first I thought I was imagining things and that it was no different than past models, but then I started seeing other people mention it too, and it eventually became obvious that this was due to the non-laminated screen. As much as I loved the new design and form factor of the original Air, I never got used to the feel and sound of that display.

This is the main example I use when people say that the differences between the non-Pro and Pro models are just marketing items that don't matter. The sound and feel of a non-laminated screen was something I noticed on my own without having any knowledge of the non-laminated screen even existing. ProMotion, quad audio, USB-C, Pencil 2 compatibility, newest CPU, these are all things that DO matter to some users and ARE perceivable in the experience of using an iPad, not just marketing check boxes.

That being said--it's perfectly ok to not think those features are worth an extra few hundred dollars. As someone who uses several "pro" level high end iPad apps, those features matter to me. They may not matter to someone just using the iPad as a Netflix player. But that's the beauty of having the Pro too--when I do want to use it as a Netflix player, holy cow it looks and sounds awesome on the Pro. I just think it's a mistake for people to blow off nicer features as "useless" or "marketing fluff" just because they don't need them or value them.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I just think it's a mistake for people to blow off nicer features as "useless" or "marketing fluff" just because they don't need them or value them.

How people perceive iPad features is not a mistake. They're expressing how they experience them and not necessarily the same for everyone else. What bothers you as thumpiness is OCD to others, who could care less or don't even notice. To make laminated the dogma of today that you're supposed to adhere to or else you're making a mistake is one-sided. I get this is really an iPad Pro fan forum. But not everyone buys into each and every one of those features as superior or a must have.

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I bought my 2018 12.9" to use mostly for reading books in the books app and the usual internet stuff. I bought the 1TB model because, why not.

I bought a Mini 4 in December but it's too small to use the books app for reading.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
How people perceive iPad features is not a mistake. They're expressing how they experience them and not necessarily the same for everyone else. What bothers you as thumpiness is OCD to others, who could care less or don't even notice. To make laminated the dogma of today that you're supposed to adhere to or else you're making a mistake is one-sided. I get this is really an iPad Pro fan forum. But not everyone buys into each and every one of those features as superior or a must have.
Of course not! And if I were shopping for iPads right now and couldn't afford the Pro features, the thumpy screen is something I could live with. I loved the original Air and used it for quite a long time. The screen didn't ruin the experience for me by any means, but I did always notice that weird sound/feel it produced. Never got used to it. I have no problem with anyone who's not bothered by it.

I think the base, Air, and mini models of iPad are fantastic devices in their own right. Any one of those you buy will be a satisfying purchase, and the base model is a great value for schools and otherwise, especially now that the entire line supports the Pencil. But I personally also believe that low price is not everything, and being such a heavy user of the iPad for content creation AND consumption, I think the features the Pro models bring to the table are more than worth the price of admission. I'd pay more than they charge, honestly. To me, the quad audio, faster guts, nice display, Pencil 2 support, ProMotion, etc. all add up to a product that is worth the price of admission. Not begrudging anyone who buys a non-Pro model to save money. In the end, the iPad is a fantastic device at any price point.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I went from a 12.9 iPad Pro to the 2018 iPad when it was first released and haven't looked back. I use it heavily daily for work to leisure, productivity to entertainment and everything in between. I've been able to push it as hard as I pushed my 12.9 Pro and it performs wondefully.

On top of everything else, it is my digital notebook/planner/journal. I use a matte screen protector to cut screen glare and fingerprint smudges, easier for swiping a finger on the screen, and providing a little bit of resistance for the Apple Pencil for a more realistic feel.

I do use it for content creation and don't find the lack of features (that are present on the Pro) impede my ability to get those tasks done. With the current state of iOS on the iPad, there is nothing to justify for me, the added cost across the board (tablet, keyboard, pencil) of an iPad Pro configuration over the basic iPad.

That might change with iPadOS, and if it does, I'll re-evaluate then.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

I do use it for content creation and don't find the lack of features (that are present on the Pro) impede my ability to get those tasks done. With the current state of iOS on the iPad, there is nothing to justify for me, the added cost across the board (tablet, keyboard, pencil) of an iPad Pro configuration over the basic iPad.

That might change with iPadOS, and if it does, I'll re-evaluate then.

Basically felt the same way about my 2017 iPP 12.9 when the 2018 models came out; there simply weren’t any compelling hardware features added to justify a completely new set of iPad Pro, Pencil and Smart Keyboard. There was a time when new hardware features would drive software features that were exclusive to a particular model/generation but there is less and less of that these days. I currently don’t see much of anything in iPad OS beta that is exclusive to the 2018 lineup compared to the 2017 one and I’m not holding my breath on there being compelling hardware/software features to encourage me to do a full upgrade this next cycle either. We shall see . . Perhaps I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: sracer

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018

Nobody cares how you perceive it, or whether or not you care about it. It's inferior technology, and that's an indisputable fact. Nobody is saying you're making a mistake by buying the inferior technology, we're repeatedly saying good on you if you like it / feel it's good value. We're saying stop being delusional, it's just embarrassing at this point..

Nobody says the Pro features are a must have. They're saying they're superior technology and worth the money to some people. You're clearly not one of them with your views.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I also kinda want one. I would get the 128 GB WiFi one and that one is currently 329$ on Amazon. That's an amazing deal. 32 GB is 249$. Brand new. But i should wait. There are rumors of a 10.2" one coming to replace the 6th gen. Likely with the same footprint / form factor but with lesser bezels so the screen will be 10.2". The display of the current 9.7" however has a noticeably lesser quality than the iPad Air 2019. It's also not laminated. But for the price it's fine.

Hardware wise it's still good for basic stuff like YouTube, Netflix, Apple Books, News etc... (that's what i'm going to use it for). But it's not the latest model. I don't really wanna spend too much money on one. I had an iPad mini 3 in the past but i think getting another mini is pointless (would get mini 4 or 5) because the 8 Plus is my main phone. People always said a plus sized iPhone is a replacement for an iPad mini screen-wise. Back then when i had the mini i had the 5s / 6s.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.