Who's getting a free a Smart Cover from Apple CS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JonnyBravo, Mar 17, 2011.

?

If you talked to Apple Customer Service, did you receive a free/refunded SmartCover?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2011.
  1. Yes (either given / you asked for it)

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No (Customer Service didn't offer / Rejected when asked)

35 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. JonnyBravo, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

JonnyBravo macrumors regular

Just curious...and I thought I'd put a survey out. For those people who've ordered iPad 2s, who's calling Apple Customer Service and getting a free Smart Cover for whatever reason? Shipping reasons seems to be the issue but not really interested in the debate of whether that's "right" or "wrong" since the other thread goes into great detail of it. Just seeing how many were successful or not.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

3. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Why? What is the reason? There is not reason to call and get something free when they haven't done anything wrong...

Side note: in order to have a poll there needs to be a poll!

4. polo221 macrumors newbie

I received my white iPad 32 GB today, and when i opened it, there was a "ding" or discoloration on the left side. I thought perhaps it was residue from the adhesive used to close the plastic protector, but it didn't come off, but was in fact, a concave spot. I decided to call Apple customer service to see if they would replace the unit, which they happily agreed to do, but i would have to wait 4-5 weeks for the replacement unit. I asked if there was any other way, and she said "I can offer you $100 off your unit, if you'd like to keep your unit with the defect." I thought about it a minute, and she added, "Do you have a case? I can offer you a nice leather smart cover, they retail for $69." I asked if the case was in addition to the $100 off or it was an either/or situation. She told me that she was authorized to do up to $100 credit all together. I, of course, chose to go with the $100 credit back to my card. I can definitely live with a small ding for $100 off!

5. JonnyBravo thread starter macrumors regular

I guess its more of a survey. Sorry..my first time ever putting one out.

Just based on the "shipping" thread, seems like a lot of people are getting free SmartCovers. Don't really want to debate on whether they should/shouldn't because of shipping expectations, but was just curious as to how many people are receiving them. Seems like an awful lot.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

Polo221 :
    Did you show any proof of whatever was wrong with your iPad to the CS rep? I'm wondering whats keeping anybody with a perfect iPad from calling in and and saying there's something wrong just to take advantage of $100 return and a free smart cover.

7. polo221, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

polo221 macrumors newbie

No, which surpised me. I told her about the ding and she didn't hesitate to offer solutions.

8. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Obviously, you would have to return the damaged iPad. If you lied, they would charge you for either the smart cover or the 100 dollar credit.

9. polo221 macrumors newbie

No, the $100 credit was in lieu of a return/exchange since I didn't want to wait 4-5 weeks.

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I know, right?

Why is it with every new launch the crap starts floating to the top?

11. XieoBebe macrumors member

OMG, this made me laugh so hard! :D

12. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I'd kinda like to know who's getting these covers myself.

I've even seen people say they're getting free Apple TVs.

13. mamak macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got two free leather covers-I'd already purchased them and was then refunded for them. Basically there were people that ordered within minutes of the sale going live that received their iPads after people who ordered after them. Not the biggest of deals (since they all seem to be arriving on schedule as promised). In my experience as with others I've seen apple was only too happy to offer complimentary covers to disgruntled custies. I was also upgraded from 3-5 day shipping to 2-3 day on my iPad 2s-free of charge. Ask and ye shall receive, the worst they could do was say no-and some reps definitely did.

14. wenstinator macrumors member

i got offered a free smartcover, got the leather one with expedited shipping.

my order (placed at 3/11 2:00am PST) was in prepared for shipment status. i called and complained about the wait, asked why "fast shipping" takes over 1.5 weeks, asked why people already got their ipads when mine hasnt even shipped.

i also mentioned that i was told to go to apple store if i wanted it earlier, and i waited in line 3 days without getting anything, largely because apple store employees refused to reveal anything about quantity so i stood there and wasted my time.

CS lady then offered my a smartcover for my troubles.

15. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

You need to include in your poll

No thanks, I don't beg for freebies.

16. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think it's because Apples contain fibre, and we all know that excessive amounts of fibre consumption results in floaters.

17. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

You're either from Oz or NZ aren't you?

18. incongruity macrumors member

Hop down off that high-horse.

Some of us didn't beg for anything. In my case, I wanted the option to pay for faster shipping. And I wanted to know if I could expect shipping soon considering people who ordered the exact same thing well after me already had their ipad shipped.

I tried to pay multiple times and was finally given free priority shipping and a refund for my smart cover (not asked for, but I'm also not going to turn down something given).

19. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I'm gonna just take one from the store under my jacket in case I call and I'm not offered one. Can't take the risk, am I right?

20. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    *High five for integrity* :rolleyes:

21. C N Reilly macrumors regular

If Apple wants to give away free covers, that's their business. And nobody is engaging in an immoral act by taking them up on it, as long as they're not lying when they call.

22. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Oh I completely agree. They are more than welcome to compensate anyway they so desire. So yes, I jumped the gun a bit.

However, do you remember the bumper threads? I guess this thread just reminded me of that and I'm ready for the "lawlz apple is so dum i gotz a free smart caze" replies to appear.

23. C N Reilly macrumors regular

I wasnt paying attention here during the iPhone 4 case debacle, thankfully. :D

24. bperkins macrumors member

After being as patient as possible I called for the first time today to inquire about my order to check the potential shipping status on:

IPAD WI-FI 3G 16GB BLACK-USA
    Ships: 5 - 7 business days
    Delivers: Mar 22 - Mar 29
    Ordered at 6:14 AM EST/3:14 AM PST = pi ;)

I asked the representative if he had any other info besides what the automated system provided and he said that he did not. He did however, let me know that they were still within the 5-7 shipment time. He then took it upon himself to offer a credit for the Carolina Blue Smart Cover I received today, in which I happily accepted. I never asked or acted deserving for the Smart Cover. Hopefully my call took me up a couple of rungs on the shipment ladder ;->.

bp