Who's getting an iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asoksevil, Sep 22, 2014.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I love my iPhone 5 and I like how easily I can reach any part of my phone's surface using one hand. Since Apple has switched to bigger displays I can assume there won't be future 4-inch phones anymore.

How does an iPhone 5s deal look like today? With the recently introduced iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, 5s prices has been cut down and considering that this is the latest 4-inch display from Apple, it might be worth to upgrade to it, even if you are coming from an iPhone 5.

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I wouldnt pay top dollar for a 5s now. It's a good phone if you already have one or are getting one used for a lesser price. The screen is just one component of the iPhone experience. The 5S has the previous generation processor in it. While the difference may not be much today, I would expect the available runway in terms of OS/ app support on the 5S will be at least a year shorter than the latest. And keep in mind that sometimes Apple does limit feature/ app support rather arbitrarily by generation and not the capability of the hardware too.

3. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

Lol technology is moving forward, and so should you, unless you plan on keeping a 5s forever.

4. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Handed down from spouse or family members...then yes. Otherwise, go with the latest.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This thread was created today..

7. bakron1 macrumors member

At 58 and wearing glasses, as much as I loved my 5s. My iPhone 6 and the bigger screen, need I say anymore!

8. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

I just ordered a Sealed ATT 5S from ebay for $409.
    Awesome deal, same phone is on Apple website for 549.
    I am having it unlocked as well from an unlock service.

People love the new bigger screens, but something they forget is Apple also forfeited the rectangular/brick format with the new phones. iPhone 5S, even though a bigger screen from 4/4S, kept true to the apple legacy with the 4/4S format, its the last phone that had that format. The new 6's look way to Samsung for my liking....

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The first three iPhones had rounded bodies..so, I'd say that's more of Apple's legacy than the rectangular, sharp form of the 4-5s.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Yeah but like, hours ago... ;)

11. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't pay retail price either, I would get a deal like for $400-$450.

So moving into bigger screens means moving forward? Apple should take into consideration that there are lot of people who appreciate using their cellphones one handed. Sure some will end up switching to a bigger size just like people switched to Android when Apple didn't have any phablet, but I am comfortable with the 4-inch and would love to stick to it as much as I can as I can't appreciate, or need the perks og having a bigger phone.

12. Dan70 macrumors regular

The 5S is great and I intend to keep up until it's officially removed from any further support (plus it should have at least iOS9 on it which covers it for the next two years).

I just feel that the 6 and 6 Plus are too big. It's the reason I stayed with Apple, because I love iOS and the screens are small.

13. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

14. cuzo macrumors 6502

I'm really considering it, I see them on craigslist for 250 or less. I have sprint. I still want to get back into IOS and I have the bookbookf or iphone 5 already.

I don't like the shape of the 6 at all, waiting on the bookbook to come out for the 6 to see how it looks.

15. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 5S is still a great phone. If it fits your needs not sure why you wouldn't do it!

16. taedouni macrumors 65816

If you're getting a new phone just get the 6 (4.7"). Dimensions it's not that much larger than the 5s and you more than likely will be able to use it with one hand. 4.7" is bigger than 4" but 4.7" is still a bit small compared to flagship Android devices.

17. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Serious question, do the 5S worshippers plan on keeping the 5S forever? Obviously Apple seems to be moving to larger screens. They didn't bother introducing a smaller 6 for a reason. So assuming that the 5S is the last of a dying breed, what will you guys do going forward? Many of you (though certainly not all) act like the 6 and 6 Plus are unbearable. Refusing change will only hurt yourselves in the long run. Sales are healthier than ever, and a vast number of Android users (myself included) were tempted enough to make the switch. By sticking with the 5S, you'll be left behind sooner rather than later. Sure, it's a top notch device now, but what about when iOS9 and even less features trickle down to the 5S? What then? OR what about when iOS10 comes out and it cripples the 5S like we just saw with the 4S and iOS8? Plenty of people here were hesitant at first, but have grown to love the screen sizes. This is a situation where you'll eventually have to adapt or get left out entirely, as outside of the 5S there are literally no other alternatives.

18. rjalda100 macrumors regular

I got a 5s months before the 6 came out, but I don't think I'd pay full price for one today.

19. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

There's no reason to rush out and upgrade to the 6 from a 5S if you like the 5S more and don't care about Apple Pay. The 5S is still a great phone and will last another couple years. People can keep using their 5S and next year if Apple doesn't update a 4" iPhone then they can decide to upgrade to a 4.7" or even keep the 5S another year. I wouldn't keep it any longer than that however because it will probably start to get crippled like the 4S.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Don't worry. It seems every 2 years when Apple releases a redesign of the iPhone people say the don't like this, that or the other and are sticking with the last gen phone. Some do; there are die hard fans of the 3.5" display on here that still use a 4s or older. Most others cave and buy the new device anyway. What I find ironic is when Apple releases another new phone in 2 years, they criticize it and say that they are sticking with the last model.

Two releases come to mind where people hated the look but then praised it to no end at a later date: iPhone 4 and iPhone 5. iPhone 4 was "too boxy, the lines on the side of the phone are ugly, and the glass back can easily be broken". People to this day still say the 4 was the best iPhone ever released. The iPhone 5? "Screen is too big" or "Screen is too small". Other complaints included "same 8MP camera and same 326ppi pixel density".

21. soundxplorer macrumors member

Things will change, and I don't really think the trend towards bigger will last "forever". Eventually wearable tech will be the norm and people will wonder why they carried giant screens in their pockets. The Apple Watch is currently co-dependent on having a phone to go with it, but eventually there will be a stand-alone version.

22. asoksevil thread starter macrumors 6502

If I ever get an iPhone 6, that would be the iPhone 6s.

Well, truth is I was even happy with my iPhone 5 on iOS 6. I would have stayed on iOS 6 if I hadn't had to restored my phone... I am currently using Snow Leopard on my 2010 MacBook Air even though I could upgrade to Mavericks for free. I strongly believe that phones, laptops, etc work best with the OS they debuted with (best optimization possible).

I don't need to get the latest updates nor the latest features from iOS and OS X because I won't use them. I value battery life, stability and lag-free over new features, apps, etc. If I have to stay on iOS 7 forever, I would gladly stay as iOS 8 doesn't offer me any incentives to upgrade.