Who's getting Applecare w/ new MP's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jan 21, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i haven't decided yet. what's everybody else doing?

2. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I dunno, they look pretty stable and nobody really complains about macpro's going wrong. I might get the MP and get the applecare later though

3. SilverL macrumors member

I always get applecare with my macs - and I have needed them on every single one. My Powerbook had it's HDD die on me and My G4 MDD had a firewire port go bad.
    It's not a bad idea considering it's only $249 or $199 if you are a student.

4. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

Well if you're a student you get it discounted to 200 which makes it a little more appealing. But even if you don't have a problem with hardware it's nice to have 3 year phone support for anything you're doing. Also it's just piece of mind.

The people who had apple care when the water cooling in their g5's went where probably very thankful when apple decided to upgraded them with a brand new mac pro for free. :)

5. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I did and I usually decide not to on similar warentee programs.

but

I am spending around 3000 for my mac so I thought it would be a good idea.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think it would be better to buy a homeowner insurance that covers accidental damages.

I kind of regret buying AppleCare for my MacBook Pro.

Update: Well I got AppleCare anyway, they had a campaign where it was 50% off.

7. alesse macrumors member

i asked about this in the tech chat room that i frequent. they recommended that i get the protection, so i did. i figure it's $200 for insurance on a $3000+ rig.

8. Emerson macrumors member

Emerson

I am waiting to buy it till after I have had the computer for a couple of months. I figure I am covered for the first year, and before that year is up I will purchase. This keeps the initial cost down just a little bit and gives me the same protection.

Chris

9. schreck macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly.

10. mrcandy macrumors regular

Bought without for now. I'll keep an eye on forums (such as this!), and if there appears to be a common issue/problem then I'll re-consider just before the one year standard warantee runs out.

I have no use for phone support.

Also, a lot of the MP is user replaceable for less than the cost of Applecare. About the only pieces that would be more expensive and justify the cost are motherboard issues and power supply. Not all motherboard problems require a board replacement. Someone mentioned FireWire port failure, if I didn't have AppleCare and this happened I'd just buy a PCI FW card.

11. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

Just make sure to keep current with your email you used to register your Mac Pro. I was of the same mind when I bought my MBP...thought I would wait a bit before buying the Applecare. Next thing I knew it was 13 months later and too late. :mad: I'm guessing any suggestive sell emails sent by them went to a seldom-used email account. My own fault. I learned my lesson.

12. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

I got it with my Mac Pro because it was only $200 through my affiliate program order link. I figured spending $200 on a $2,800 machine wasn't a bad percentage (not like $150 on a $600 mini, which I would never do!). I don't normally buy warranties, either. I think what did it for me was all the problems the first gen Mac Pro owners had with their ATI cards, all I have to do is have one card replacement and I'll almost have paid for it.

13. Jonny427 macrumors regular

I've gotten Applecare on every mac i've owned so far (6) and i've yet to utilize it. I figure I shouldn't skimp now because this will be the most expensive mac i've purchased yet.

14. Banacek macrumors 6502

I am doing the same thing. I have AppleCare for my MB, but I will hold off on the MP for now...

15. bigbird macrumors 6502

eBay for Applecare

I bought mine on eBay. Brand new in unopened box for $125. I had phoned Applecare tech support to see if the different part #'s for Applecare with a BTO purchase vs a later separate Applecare purchase indicated a different product. They are the same product. The support guy said "I can't advise you, but it sounds like you've done your homework and you're going to save more than a few $." He was right.

16. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I bought it when I ordered my Mac Pro, just for peace of mind. I also bought it when I got my G5 but never had to use it....ever. I never had to call them about anything. I guess it's like insurance. You hope you'll never have to use it, but you know it's there if you have to.:)

17. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I've always gotten it and never regretted it. Was really glad I got it for the lemon that was/is my pre-Intel IMac, given everything inside of it has been replaced via Applecare (except for the RAM...which in a way I replaced when I upgraded it).

18. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I'm not. It's not like a laptop where its moving, or a G5 where the liquid cooling could leak. It's pretty stable. Not worth the money. I'm putting that money into 3rd party ram....

19. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Got my Mac Pro back in March 2007. I decided I'd check out eBay to see what the latest deals where as I'm nearing my 1 year anniversary.

I picked up my Applecare on eBay for $139.00.

I'd say check eBay, get a power seller, and save some cash.

-Kevin

20. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'll get Apple Care with every Mac I buy while I'm a student/work at uni because it's only £50, but not sure when I leave uni, because it's a lot of money.

21. Play4keeps macrumors regular

22. MikeL macrumors 6502

If you do that, you're not getting everything you pay for. You give up the phone support during the time that you don't have AC after your first 90 days or whatever it is now. If you've decided to buy AC, there's no advantage to waiting.

23. aibo macrumors 6502

I didn't, but there's no need to make a decision on it yet. like everyone else i'm waiting about 10 months.

24. Norco macrumors regular

I'm also waiting - I bought it back when I bought my first mac, my iBook G4 and never used it.

25. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Don't forget free extra insurance from credit cards

If you are buying with a Gold or Platinum credit card in the US, many people will get an automatic doubling of Apple's one year warranty for free.

So if you get this second year through your credit card and never use the "support" feature of Applecare, the only difference with the expensive Applecare policy is that you only are not covered the third year of ownership. And don't forget, by then you are not "gambling" with $3000 new computer, but instead with a 2 year old computer that you could buy used for much less (if your MP dies during the third year).