Who's Getting Dark Souls 2?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Renzatic, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Comeon. I can't be the only one here who's all giddy with excitement over this. I've got my nerd-on so hardcore, I'm actually going to the midnight release tomorrow to pick it up. I've never done that before, and I'll probably never do it again. But damnit, I haven't been this excited over a game since I was 13 or so. I'm just that stoked.

So who's playing it on the PS3? If you want to co-op, feel free to add me on PSN. My username there is...yeah...Renzatic.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nope..... And I buy everything but I'm afraid I just wouldn't have the patience for Dark Souls 2. I struggled like hell in Demon Souls and replayed the first hour about 10 times with only micro advancement each time due to its difficulty level that I got sick of it and then never even dared go near Dark Souls.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have the Xbox version on order but for some reason it doesn't get here until Thursday.

4. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

That's kind of a shame, because the Souls series are really about the best games ever...

...once you get used to them.

The one thing they don't do is teach you how to play. It's both one of their charms, and one of their biggest downfalls. There are no tutorials. No guides. No anything. They just kick you into the deep end right from the start, and expect you to sink or swim. And for those first few hours when you're coming to terms with them, they're a little more unnecessarily mean than they are fun.

I mean hell, I've beat both Dark and Demon's Souls, and I can tear ass through them these days. But when I first started out? Nuh uh. It all felt like a battle of attrition, with me being on the losing end more often than not. But once it clicks, when you start understanding the controls and how the game works, well...it doesn't become easy, but it does become fun. Less difficult, more unforgiving.

I won't say you should rush out and grab DS2 opening day, because you might just not like that type of game. But when it hits a Steam sell or drops in price, you should at least consider it. From what I hear, DS2 does a much better job of easing new people into the game than its predecessors did.

5. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I preordered the PS3 collectors edition which cost way too much, it comes with a statue that is totally useless but I just wanted to give all my money to From Software. I have platinumed Dark Souls twice and Demons Souls before it, and I can't wait for this one... I'm just worried if I'll get the game on time.

6. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I really deeply considered getting the collectors edition, but I came to the conclusion that $120 is just too damn much to spend on a game, even if it does come with a cool statuette and a nice art book. I figured I'd dump more of my money on From by buying the PC version later on.

Also, I haven't been able to find any info about it, but does the game offer cross platform co-op, or is it console specific?

7. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Console specific, and yes once I got over my idiotic fangirlism I realised I had just wasted like 50€ for some statue that will only end up taking space, and an artbook that will take about a minute to go through ^^

8. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Well, if your regret ends up getting the best of you, and want to get rid of it at some point, I'll be here to buy it from you. :p

Kind of a shame about the split platform co-op. Most of the people I know who are getting it are doing so on the 360, or waiting for the PC release. You and this one other guy are only people I've had direct contact with on the internet who are getting it for the PS3.

Oh well, DS is meant to be a lonely experience for the most part. I just thought it'd be kinda cool to play it with some people on release.

9. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Nope not here, Dark Souls did it for me, as somebody above says, doing the same part over and over and and and over and over again for no more than micro advancement stops being fun and becomes a chore.

10. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

11. Poly, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

Poly macrumors 6502

I will get my Xbox360 copy tomorrow!

Can't wait to die another 1000000000000 times like in DarkSouls1 :)

After playing the Souls series other RPGs just feel so wrong to me...

EDIT:
    And i will do just the same as you! When the improved Pc version comes out I'll sell my 360 copy of the game and get the Pc version :)

12. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Your not wrong :)

13. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

You just have to believe in yourself, man. BELIEVE!

Yeah, I'll admit. The game is, like I said, extremely unforgiving at times. But that's what I like about it. There's no real easy way about it. There's so much to find, so much to explore, so much to discover, and it all takes an amount of risk and skill on your part to do. Nothing's easy, and going somewhere new is filled with tension and a perfect awareness of that risk you're taking. It makes delving into new places or facing off against someone new feel so much more...there. And when you get past it, the sense of reward you get, that feeling of overcoming something difficult, is so much more heavy and palpable than any other games like it.

I think that's the reason why the people who like this series tend to be kind of obsessive over it. I mean hell, I only occasionally play games these days. Yet here I am, getting ready to head out for a midnight release for a game I prebought 3 months ago. I haven't done that in a decade at least.

...but on the other hand, I can see why games like this would just piss some people off. I guess it all depends on what you're into.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Hey I played through the entirety of a Knack... That takes some mac skill in patience :D

15. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I dunno what that is, but props nonetheless.

Also, I got it! :D

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I gave up at about chapter 6-2 or something. I have no idea whether I'm near the end or not but it got too frustrating for me!

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I believe you're about half way through. I've beaten Knack about 4 times. Still working on Very Hard with diamond Knack.

Dark Souls 2...... Maybe once I beat either of the prior ones.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Count me in, picking up my copy today. I love the Soul series and I've played them all from top to bottom.

I'm going with a knight build with light spell casting. I can't wait...to die over and over?

Bless

19. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

Oh, you'll die. Over and over again. Even the ladies at the beginning of the game say as much.

Though it takes this one a bit to warm up to its usual levels of brutality.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I played a friend's early copy, but I've really got to finish Dark Souls 1 first.

21. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

In Demon Souls I got so infuriated with dying to that first boss over and over I ended up shelving it. A few months later I looked up how to get past it and read that dying there was intended.... Doh.

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

*very minor spoiler*

The fog gates at the start are the training area; in DS1 I'd learned to fully explore an area before going through the fog gate, so I missed all the training stuff until a couple of hours later when I remembered the fog!

23. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Only the last boss left. Tomorrow I will start NG+.

24. Renzatic thread starter Suspended

Renzatic

I'm nearing the end, but had to take a little break from it because of stoopid responsibilities. Damn things always get in the way of my fun. :mad:

Have fun with NG+. I hear it's considerably different than the first playthrough.

25. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I was tempted, and finally tried the first game that's been sitting on my 360 hard drive. It's the kind of game that requires more patience I can give it at the moment. Maybe a game for the summer?