Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DigitalVT

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
UK
I'll be interested in any old Mac Pro's from anyone in the UK who is London/South East based.

Guess there may be a large thread in the New Year for those old MP's going to pastures new! I may have one or two going, dependent on reliability/use and am London based!

:)

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Guess there may be a large thread in the New Year for those old MP's going to pastures new! I may have one or two going, dependent on reliability/use and am London based!

:)

Indeed - send me a pm first ;) A fair proportion of my clients who didn't jump ship to Avid and Windows after the iMovie Cut Pro X shenanigans (and didn't want to buy used hex cores upgrading the 4/5,1 models) I know are buying black cans with Drobo's to evaluate before retiring their fleet. That along with a huge number if XP clients still to retire before April will keep me rather busy for the first half of next year I think!

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I'm not upgrading. I have pro audio gear (FW) that gives me the sound I want. It's is fast enough, stable and reliable. And I'm not about to trust my system to Apple's consumer-level cable connector, which is, as far as I know, the only way to connect FW to a nMP.

Since there are no advantages for me to upgrade, my plan is to be an audio sheep. I'll follow what everyone else does.

For those who can use its speed and massive GPU capability, and who mainly work in-the-box, no doubt the nMP will be a great machine.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
No, I mean when a new nMP owner uploads nMP-specific kexts for the new Xeons, powerstep, etc to one of the usual Hack-enthusiast sites.
I doubt that this is enough, because the kernel enables processor specific functions, if he detects a certain processor. Or in other words: You need at least a full version of OS X 10.9.2 (+ some Hackintosh specific kernel extensions, which are not part of Apples OS X). Thank god, that you do not need a custom kernel, if you use a supported processor configuration.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I doubt that this is enough, because the kernel enables processor specific functions, if he detects a certain processor. Or in other words: You need at least a full version of OS X 10.9.2 (+ some Hackintosh specific kernel extensions, which are not part of Apples OS X). Thank god, that you do not need a custom kernel, if you use a supported processor configuration.

Hmm.... I wonder if that might also mean that with the "free" OSX going forward, you might not be able to get a full copy of 10.9.x, which might kill or at least hinder further hackintosh development?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Hmm.... I wonder if that might also mean that with the "free" OSX going forward, you might not be able to get a full copy of 10.9.x, which might kill or at least hinder further hackintosh development?
I do not see this in the near future, because Macs need always the full InstallESD.dmg (via OS X Recovery or via the MAS).

And btw, the Hackintosh community can find the xnu sources on http://opensource.apple.com. So it's no problem, if they need a new kernel for other CPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.