Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which camera manufacturers are going downhill in 2009?

• Canon

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Nikon

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Sony/KM

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Olymopus

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Pentax

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Samsung

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Hasselblad

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Red

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
That's just wrong. The value of the lens is often about equal to the price of the kit. The L1 with the 14-55 was a tremendous deal for an incredible piece of glass with a body attached. Get your facts straight.
Um, actually that's a 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 .;)

So, now that I own it... I can't buy another L1 body without another sweet Leica 14-50mm? Or were I to wish for the L10,
I can not buy it without a slower Leica 14-50mm lens? It's Ok, tho... Oly has me covered for new bodies. Panasonic is losing money in dslr. The micro 4/3 is barely smaller than Oly's E-420 and the E-530 will probably beat it size wise. Oly's micro 4/3 mock-up is a far more appealing look for unobtrusive and stylish use than Panny's 'mini dslr' look. Like I said, IMO, which is what the OP requested, Panasonic is in dslr trouble.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I picked Leica because they're irrelevant, and Pentax because they have nothing eyecatching on offer.

I don't see how Canon, Nikon, and Sony could have problems. They're the most popular DSLR companies right now, and I don't see that changing now. Panasonic isn't going away with their new G1 being released.

Samsung is pretty much out of the DSLR market anyway, and have essentially conceded by saying they're going to focus on making a u4/3 competitor, where the market is still up for grabs.

Panasonic was also barely in the DSLR market, so who cares. Like Samsung, they're moving on. This is actually the smartest thing Panny and Samsung can do. Get into this new market early.

Between Canon and Nikon, I think Nikon is going to have the better year. I like their D90 and D700 better than the Canon 5D- MKII and 50D, but that's the only reason.

Interestingly enough, I got a chance to try the D90 and D700 around 2-3 days ago at a Bic Camera. Awesome. :) Also tried the 50D, Sony A350, Pentax K20D, an Epson Digital Rangefinder, an Olympus E-420 paired up with the 25 mm pancake lens (VERY small combo......not bigger than the Panasonic G1 in an impractical way) and some pretty sweet lenses. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.