iPad mini Who's gonna buy the first gen mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FatPuppy, Oct 16, 2014.

1. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

2. meechy macrumors 6502

Plenty of people who want to save $50 and don't really bother about having the latest and greatest specs.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

I bought one on sale for $199 and took it back. It's worth maybe $149 tops.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

It isn't worth it in any sense, even if you're buying hundreds for educational institutions its technically obsolete. I can't see it being supported for more than another year.

6. FatPuppy thread starter macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I saw an ipad mini 1 a few days ago on ios 8, it's like using a dead cat.

7. addictzz macrumors 6502

For a difference of $50, I would get iPad mini 2 of course. 3 ipad mini generations, 2 are underpowered against the bigger brother, and mini 2 is the only anomaly. Will surely get a mini 2. And get the 32GB.

8. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

$50 can feed a starving family of 4 for a year in Papue Guineau. Please, if $50 isn't much to you, go google Papue Guineau family charities.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Parents on a budget running up to Christmas I imagine. Or people who don't understand the differences.

I understand the point of keeping the 1 (cheap price point) - what I don't understand is keeping the 2.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'll bet Apple must have quite an unsold inventory on the rMini. From several articles i've read the rMini wasn't selling like hotcakes and neither were the rest of the iPad lineup. Sales have either been flat or have declined. All year long i've seen Best Buy and other retailers drop the price between $50-100. A couple of years ago that was unheard of.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's pretty funny that Apple still refuses to just drop the original iPad mini to $199. Despite it's specs, it would sell like hotcakes at that price point.

12. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I actually miss my original Mini, if not only because of the lightness.

Yeah the screen is far worse, but it was such an amazing device to have in an era with huge iPads.

50 doesn't seem like enough of a discount when you can get a much better processor and screen for just a bit more.

iPad Mini should be $199.

13. 617aircav Suspended

It's a ridiculous price for such a crappy device.

14. Wbutchart macrumors regular

My wife still has here original mini - almost two now. I urged her to upgrade now that the mini 2 has been priced so cheap but she says the mini 1 does all she needs it too. Maybe a bit of life left in yet.

15. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I bet Target/Walmart will sell a boat load of these at $179. $249 with $70 gift card.

16. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

If you way this way, then shouldn't you just save the entire dollars amount for food instead buying an iPad?

17. nameischarles macrumors member

nameischarles

I still have the first gen mini and it runs iOS 8 fine, I have had no issues. Infact I use the mini more than my iPad Air. Granted the screen isn't sharp but its not bad watching YouTube and videos or for Facebook.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't buy the first gen mini. I'd spend the extra $50 and get the mini 2.

19. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I hear this often around the forums when people are talking about older models/ lower specs. I wonder how many such people are around who do not know what lower and higher specs are. Even if they are not semiconductor engineers or OS coders; wouldn't someone understand that an A8 is better than an A5? My mother has no clue about cars, engines, aerodynamics and thermodynamics - but she knows 25 mpg is better than 20mpg when she reads the brochure...

20. 617aircav Suspended

Those are the majority of people in the world. Tech savvy people are in the minority.

21. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

If you can't price it at $199, then just get rid of it. For $50 more you can get a device that is several orders of magnitude better. I just worry about a bunch of consumers buying the cheapest thing and then being outraged when it doesn't get any updates and app updates stop working on it next year.

22. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Most educated consumers would see the benefit on spending and getting the mini 2 vs the mini. My guess is people who don't read blogs and who have kids and want the cheapest model will just get it.

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

She might know the difference between 20 and 25mpg, in the same way she might know the difference between 8 and 10 hours of battery life.

Would she understand how an A8X is better than an A8 which is better than an A7. Moreover, would she understand why it is $200 better.

24. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The 1st gen mini is fine if all you do is surf, email, read (assuming good eyesight), and watch stuff. Games like solitaire & sudoku are fine too. Start doing anything graphics/memory intensive and it simply crumbles. And that's on iOS 7. I can't imagine how bad it would be on 8.

But as a basic, non gaming device, it's honestly still decent. Overpriced, but usable. Don't open anything that uses a ton of RAM and it'll be fine. Someone like my father in law would probably do quite well with it; he'd never come up on its limits.

That said, I'm picking up a Mini 2 today. With what I use, the crashing and the resulting iCloud issues it seems to trigger are driving me nuts. I hadn't originally planned to change it out as it's fine otherwise, but with the discount on the rMini, it's worth making the switch.

25. SonRK macrumors 6502

Just sold my Mini 1 hoping to be wowed by the Mini 3.

Instead, it's now coming down between the Air 2 or Mini 2 Refurbished (as cheapest option)

Currently using my iPad 3 as my main tablet, and it's so heavy, bulky, gross, etc.