Who's gonna wait for new 10th gen chips Ice Lake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kraizelburg, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Kraizelburg macrumors regular

Hi all, according to this source https://elchapuzasinformatico.com/2...ras-cpus-ice-lake-10nm-a-los-fabricantes-oem/
    Hoja-de-ruta-CPUs-Intel-10nm-y-7nm-1.jpg
    Intel-Ice-Lake-10nm-1-740x352.jpg

intel started shipping the new Ice Lake 10th gen processors to manufarturer, so we can expect new macs with the new processor which is much better than 8th gen, especially in graphic performance thanks to the new Iris.

I wanted to change my 2018 MBA for the new 2019 MBP base model but now I'm wondering that maybe is better to wait. The New expectec macbook redesign and new processors seems like macbooks can come on top again after a messy design with butterfly keyboards and thermals,...

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

3. Kraizelburg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just saying due to intel manufacturing problems there will be a TWO gen jump (from 8th ---> 10th) on macbooks chips. So it's not a small upgrade.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68040

It still is .... if you need a MacBook go buy one. If it’s on sale even better. There’s diminishing returns and unless you need the most absolute raw power you’ll be fine with even a 7th gen and probably a 6th

5. Kraizelburg thread starter macrumors regular

I partially agree with you, but I still think cost/performance ratio is much better with newer chips i.e. 2 cores to 4 cores made a huge jump in performance.

6. Queru, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019

Queru macrumors newbie

Queru

Hi, first post here, though I used to read forums for couple of years now without account. When I saw your topic OP, decided to throw my 2 cents.

I'm in a quite similar position to you OP. Rocking MacBook Air from 2017, so the last generation righ before a new design and especially screen quality, which is most painful part of my MBA. Fortunately I also rock stationary setup on my desk with Mac mini 2018 + eGPU and 4K screen, but still I use my laptop quite often.

Intel 10nm supposedly not only comes with improvements in performance (perhaps even better power consumption which should improve battery life in low tier MacBooks like entry Pro) but also it should bring a very good improvement in terms of integrated graphics. And if you think about base 13 inch Pro, you should consider graphics improvement in integrated GPU very seriously.

Thus for me - I'll wait and see what new things come with 1-2 next years in 13 pro. Perhaps I'll be able to sell Mac mini and rock MBP 13' as base machine with my 4k screen as external one. Improved iGPU should be far better in running additional external display than nowadays (tho some people are completely fine with current models). I just prefer to have some headroom with my hardware. Also we might see improvement in terms of 14 inch screen in old body size, which would be great.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68040

And you can get that in the 8th gen cpus ...

8. Closingracer macrumors 68040

In that case you’re correct but at the same time you’re not going to see a major difference between a 2019 Air and a 2021 air ... if you see one on a good deal I would suggest going for it. If you can see one for $200-$300 off I would rather jump on that then buy a 2021 at full price

9. macnmac macrumors regular

10. jerryk macrumors 601

I am waiting for Apple own ARM chips in 2021. If it runs as responsively as the A12X in my 2018 iPad Pro it will be a winner and also have amazing battery life.

11. Trolle macrumors member

Trolle

Time to stop waiting and start living. Waiting for Godot strikes a chord.

12. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

That chart doesn't cover the H class 45 TDP chips that would come in a MBP. Even on leaked roadmaps that chip is at 14nm forever. Like maybe when Trump dies of natural causes, you might get 10nm H class from Intel. So think -- long time.

13. jgorman macrumors newbie

Intel has started shipping 10th gen CPUs to OEMs.

Several reports say Apple will have normal keyboards in 2019-2020 models.

If you buy now, you get an 8th gen CPU and a butterfly keyboard.

I would wait.

14. Kraizelburg thread starter macrumors regular

45TDP watt are alreay present in Dell's line up but only in 15" model (9th gen though), so the same as macs pros 15". That chart is official from intel.

what do you mean with "that chip is at 14nm forever"?

15. leman macrumors G3

Only that intels “generation” is confusing as hell. Their 6 gen CPUs are practically the same as their 9 gen CPUs, minor tweaks and number of cores notwithstanding.

I am certainly not upgrading my 15” until a proper new CPU gen, ideally with AVC-512 and ppc improvements comes along.

16. dgdosen macrumors 68000

dgdosen

Dell is taking orders for September shipments on 10th gen XPS 7390.

Apple still has several new announced yet unshipped models. Maybe Ice Lake in a refreshed MBA or 13" MBP?

17. Kraizelburg thread starter macrumors regular

I'm waiting for the ICE LAKE refresh as it seems graphic performance is much better than 8th gen and hopefully new scissor keyboard.
    Last week I sold my MBA and now waiting for the new refresh. If apple puts the 10th gen chips in the new MBA and MBP 13, old models will loose lot of value, especially if new keyboard is released.

Also according to intel there are a few low TDP chips with 4 cores that seem like an amazing boost to the MBA compared to the current chip.