Who's JUMPed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Dec 2, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014

nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I have recently come into a large sum of money, :)

but for the topic of discussion, I have also recently become eligible for T-Mobile's Jump program. Before I pull the trigger I have a few questions for those who have already jumped and most of it regards the trading in part.

Is there any way you'd be able to keep your old phone at all, or is it necessary to trade in?

If I go along and jump, will I be able to continue to use my phone while waiting for the new phone to be delivered?

Where do I send my old phone?

Thanks all,
    Nouveau

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Please send some of it to TH55 so he can buy a new Mac and to KuchiKopi so he can fine-tune his Apple Pay ability.

Sharing is caring :D

3. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502a

Cyberguycpt

Well you can trade the phone in and Jump to your next phone or you can pay of the balance and Jump to your next phone. Personally I would rather pay off the balance and sell my old phone. For example in a year the 6 plus will probably be worth about 450 to 500 but you would only owe about 350 or less depending upon how much you put down, so you would make a little profit.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Congrats? I assume you told us about coming into a lot of money for us to say congratulations...

For your question, call up T-Mobile.

5. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent information.

I only have $100 left on my device.

So you're saying if the balance is paid, I can go ahead and keep my existing phone and then also upgrade too?

If that's the case, I'd be spending way more than I planned to but with the incentives of IEP, I would be getting more. I'd have what I want faster and without paying bucketloads upfront.

I'd have a locked 6 but a backup unlocked phone to use on the side. Right?

But I think the problem would be that if the phone is already paid off is be starting a new eip this having to pay half down for the new phone which is fine I guess.

So I guess I'll wait until later this month to upgrade which is fine.

I'll pay off all owed, unlocked the phone, keep it and then start a new eip. This probably means I'm not taking full advantage of the jump program but oh well I still get what I want in the end.

6. wxman2003, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

wxman2003 Suspended

Another fine thread started by the OP. The comedy continues. The OP is one of the best fiction writers. I would hope you would take that "large" sum of money to help your friend who bent an iPhone in an Apple store. I think you will also have a bit left over for that super duper extra unlocked iPhone that became available on November 30th. Of course why would you do that when you told us you find iOS 8 boring, the A9 chip slow, Find my iPhone has let you down, you don't trust ApplePay and that you prefer the 5C over the 6. Don't forget that threat that you were going to get the 5S if the moderators closed your super duper extra special unlocked iPhone 6 thread, which they did. I need to make more popcorn, because this thread could become quite entertaining.

7. v871305 macrumors member

Yes - you'd have paid off our current phone. So you can go and get another EIP with T-mo (essentially a JUMP)

Not sure what you mean. You will have your current phone PLUS whatever phone you JUMP to. You don't have to pay anything for the new EIP upfront (you can if you want, but it makes no sense to do so - unless you plan on paying off the new phone). I'm on the OLD Jump plan that lets you Jump every 6 months (not based on paying off half the phone).

Small clevat I found though - your "2 jumps in 12 months" starts AFTER your first 6 months (when you would do your first jump) - so you can only jump ONCE in the next 12 months (2 jumps in 18 months - not 12 like they say)

Probably not - the old jump (every 6 months) was a decent deal I think, but the new one (where you pay half off) is a losing game for the customer. Besides, if you plan on getting the phone outright - why do the Jump? (the insurance part might come in handy if you loose or damage our phone often...)

8. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Lol they closed the thread and he got a locked 5c supposedly.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

Yes, a very speshul kind of tool indeed.

10. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I do the trade in, it would be easier to get the 6. I could just upgrade without ever paying anything.

Or

Let's say my 5c is already paid off, I keep the phone. My balance of my eip for that phone is zero.

With those factors, I'd have to pay half of the 6 when I get it on Jump because it's a new eip. But I also don't think they would finance that phone for zero down because my credit is not there.

The only thing is, I can't walk into t mobile and come out with a 6 to make the process easier. So I might as well go the longer way and finish paying off my 5c, and keep it, because I needed a backup phone anyways.

Otherwise I would've had to trade my 5c for the 6 and buy another 5c unlocked to use as a backup.

If I just wait for the 6, and pay off my 5c I win

11. woodynorman macrumors 6502

If you just came into a "large" sum of money, why don't you just buy the phone un-subsidized?? Surely you can afford it now?

This thread stinks to high heaven

12. wxman2003 Suspended

It's his Christmas bonus from his paper route.

13. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i just heard the t-mobile is giving you a free 128GB 6+ if you jump now. no catch, you get to keep your current phone too.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Everyone has their own definition of "a large sum of money". :rolleyes:

15. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

16. the caveman macrumors 6502

Do you think you can go to tmobile and ask them or read up on it on their website?

17. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could always do it. But I wanted to know from people who had already done it.

I could always change it. But the program is called Jump. Just Upgrade My Phone

I could always buy it. But i'm already in the program now

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I changed the title, to avoid any further confusion or derailment.

19. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess that's a good thing. So the two options I'm looking at is

1) Upgrade by trade in

2) New EIP

If I upgrade by trade in, and owed a balance of my current EIP, that balance would drop to zero and start over with the new phone.

But seeing as I've already paid more than half for the phone I already have, I might as well continue the payments until it's completely paid off.

I went to try jumping today, and it wanted me to put in my serial numbers so it could switch the sim. I was assuming that my current phone would be unusable during the time the upgrade would be being shipped.

In my case it's a question of upgrade today or upgrade next week.

With that being said. I'm wondering now that I'd have had the phone paid off, and I'm ready to jump, do I have to pay half down to get the new phone under the jump program?

That's the real question.

You would think more people have jumped.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not everyone cares for T-Mobile and/or they don't have sufficient coverage in their location.

21. nouveau-apple, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder if it's worth it to do the upgrade by trading the phone in. That way I wouldn't have to pay half down for the iPhone 6.

The phone I have now is already a low cost phone. And the money I was going to use to pay for half the cost of the new EIP could just go to an unlocked phone. I think I win that way.

That's what I'll do. I'll trade in now, given I can still use the phone until I get the replacement and then use that one. Then buy another phone on the side.

If I wanted to get the phone I have now unlocked I think I'd have to wait 40/60 days and I can't wait that long.

That way I would be making best use of the jump program.

Edit: The above I can't do.

People used to not like the Jump program but T mobile has made it very clear and very easy to see what you're doing. I already know that it's going to cost me $433 to upgrade. Which is fine.

The only thing about getting the iPhone 6 is that it's on back order and will take up to 6 weeks to be shipped. In the mean time I would still be able to use my phone.

But man, it's really a struggle getting the iPhone 6. I guess the earlier your order the better but this has been the absolute worst in terms of getting a phone in a timely manner. They've been back ordered for months. The 6s will be out before we'll be able to just pick one up.

So I really have no choice but to just pay off my own EIP and start over.

22. TechDiva macrumors 6502

TechDiva

I used the JUMP program to upgrade to the 6+. I traded in my 5s, and T-Mobile waived the remaining $400+ balance that I still had left on the device. At the time (I did the iPhone preorder), I only paid the $99 down for my phone. As I was waiting for my phone to be delivered, I still had full use of my 5s. In the package with my 6+ was an envelope with shipping label for me to return the 5s to T-Mobile.

At this point, it's not beneficial for you to use JUMP for your phone if you only owe $100. Just pay that off and you get to keep the phone. At that point, you would not use JUMP to upgrade to the 6, you would simply use your now cleared EIP to get the 6. What I'm confused about is why you believe that you need to make a down payment of half the cost of the 6? If you've been a customer of T-Mobile's for at least 3 years, you would be considered to be in one of the higher credit brackets in order to qualify for the down payment deals that are advertised.

23. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

It works out in my favor then. I'll keep my 5c as a back up phone.

But there will be an expense to upgrade to the 6, for me it will be 488 dollars. That's just because I'm a new T mobile customer.

Haven't been with them for 3 years. They did the initial credit check and that's why I owe that. I don't have credit.

I'll keep the jump program to use for the 6s.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was going to guess that he met a Nigerian prince on one of his frequent trips to China and got a lot of money that way.

Or he snuck into his parent's room and found a twenty.

25. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Who's JUMPed?

I'm actually doing JUMP! on two devices. I'm making installment payments on my 5s and just bought a 6. They advised me I can continue to pay on both. I've only got 1 line with them for phone service and 1 line for my tablet.

I jumped in the cyber Monday deal and got the 64GB 6 for $100 off plus they let me only put down $318 ($379 with taxes and shipping).