Who's keeping there iPad even with the back light bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by L2gbrian, Mar 31, 2011.

1. L2gbrian macrumors member

Just wanted to know if people are happy with there product even with the back light bleeding, and will deal with it cause they are happy with the iPad 2?

2. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

This has been beat to death. Save for a few people who say they have no bleed, I would wager everone else who currently owns one is settling for now and will likely trade it in when or if Apple fixes it.

On a completly unrelated note, interesting use of the McDonald's logo and slogan. Wonder how long it will stay up.

3. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I have a minor amount of bleed, but I only notice it when the screen goes pitch black, thus, I'm keeping it - it took me an entire day to get all my apps on this thing, organize them, set it up, etc

Not gonna spend another cluster of days exchanging it, resetting it, etc etc - time is money and I'm happy as a clam

4. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

iPad 2 experience trumps the minor bleeding on my unit. If I hear that this issue is fixed I'll be out there replacing if I can. Otherwise love the damn thing!

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Mine has bleed, but I'm not going to take it back. The iPad isn't a post production device. It isn't meant to have a professional standard display. It's meant to be really thin, and if that means you get bleed, so be it.

And compared to the other pictures of the bleed that I have seen, which people have complained and often returned as a result, I think my iPad is actually worse.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Mine is minor and at some point I will swap it.

7. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I'm not going to be taking mine in for a replacement because if so many people have one with bleed then how can I be sure the new I get won't have it. That's the way I see it.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I just noticed that under peoples names it has things like 'Side Salad', 'Premium Grilled Chicken' :p

On topic, I'm going to be swapping mine. I wouldn't mind if I couldn't notice it with the brightness set down. If I get one that you can only see when the brightness is high I will keep it as that wouldn't bother me as my brightness is never set that high anyway.

I usually watch films on it every night so thats when I notice it and it's pretty off putting doing so.

9. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

10. pidge1114 macrumors newbie

I guess they have extra iPads where you live. I was under the impression that they couldn't meet up with demand, let alone have enough for replacements.

11. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They have different stock for the Genius bar for replacements.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I'll be keeping mine. It's not that big of a deal. I've watched movie, surfed the net, played games...heck, i've even read books on it. It's not that pressing of an issue to me. I'll keep what i have and enjoy it. My TV has FAR worse backlight bleed then my iPad. I think people are just being picky.

13. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

I actually read the full thread on the light leak issue here last night, partly out of personal interest and partly as I am kind of in the industry for these types of devices (not Apple emp). Anyway.. My original iPad 2 (white, bought from an Asian guy.. I'm being serious and not meaning any disrespect.. just saw that thread :) ) had significant leak. When I say significant, there were at least 8 blotches of light, a few of them an inch or bigger. I took it to the Apple Store and the guy was awesome and said if it was him, he would exchange it. I did, for all that was available, a black version (all were 64GB at&t).

I took the second one home and while not as bad, there was definitely light leak visible from normal usage (Apple did make this to watch movies on right?). I went back to the Apple Store (we have two very close to me) and spoke to a guy that all but said they know about it, are working on it and it is a warranty issue. I could keep mine and exchange it in months or I could keep exchanging .. or return.. my choice.

I eventually decided to return it for now as I just can't bring myself to be OK with what is, IMO, a flaw. Folks can argue all day and night here that it's normal/acceptable/whatever but how Apple is handling this tells me it isn't. I have spoken to at least four Apple employees and all were very understanding and never mentioned "in spec".

Where I am now is considering just going to get another one and dealing with it or possibly getting an iPad 1 and looking forward to retina-display on 3. Dunno. I do know the iPad rocks (1 or 2) when it doesn't have hardware flaws and I already miss mine.

14. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I feel exactly the same as you. I don't really want to return it but I can't deal with the light leaking when watching films it just puts me off watching them on the iPad.

Going to the Apple store either tomorrow or Sunday and see if they can find me one when the issue doesn't appear with the brightness down but if not I will just return it and wait to see if there ever is a fix although i'm not really expecting one.

If this is true it could be something to do with the bleeding.

Apple may have ordered 30 million lcds for iPad 2 over the next 12 months from Au Optronics at 3-4x higher price (Although the report is not confirmed) http://www.9to5mac.com/58600/did-app...-higher-price/