Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cytoxyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Corning, NY
Well I walked in to work today and 30min later I walked out laid off. I am just curious who else in the forums here is in the same predicament?

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Well I walked in to work today and 30min later I walked out layed off. I am just curious who else in the forums here is in the same predicament?

Im sorry to hear that. What a terrible way to start a day.
I am not in the same situation, but I can empathize.

mousouchop

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
New York
My mother is layed off. I have work-study at my college and a job at a local store. But-- add my mother to your tally.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sorry to hear.

My girlfriends brother got laid off as well as his roommate. Both in finance.

I just quit my job to go back to school though. Feels odd not working.

What industry were you in?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've been laid off before. It sucks, no doubt. What industry were you in before you were laid off?

cytoxyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Corning, NY
Thank you to all the well wishers

Sorry to hear.

My girlfriends brother got laid off as well as his roommate. Both in finance.

What industry were you in?

Manufacturing... I kinda knew it was coming, but it just stinks now that it is here.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Really sorry to hear that. Have been through it in the past (with Apple) and it's not a nice experience. If anything, it can be better if it happens suddenly as you don't have too much time to worry about it beforehand.

Best of luck with the job-hunting!! Who knows, perhaps someone here can help you out.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Sorry to hear that man.

I'm still hanging in there, but my wife was let go April 1st. It's now looking like it'll be at least another six months to a year before she's recalled.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
I was laid off at the beginning of the recession, back when people were still debating whether or not it was a recession. I've since retrained (despite the fact that my old skillset was considerably advanced technically) and am now employed in a different field.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
That sucks dude. I totally feel for you. I was laid off in February of this year and it took me four months to get another job. The upside is that it was the best thing that could have happened to me career wise as I love my new job and it just made me realise that I should have left the old one long before I was laid off.

Try and stay positive. The recession is coming to an end and there are jobs out there if you want them. You'll be ok.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife has been laid off since January.

Its getting really old and frustrating. Our savings account is shrinking, unemployment is not covering our needs and she's applied to hundreds of positions. Most of the time, the employer never confirms or even says they picked someone else, so you apply and don't hear squat. If you're lucky enough to get an interview the process is the same for the most part. If you're not picked you hear nothing.

I particularly liked our vice president stating what a rousing success the stimulas package was. Yeah I have an extra 10 dollars in my paycheck thanks to the stimulas package, my wife's been out of work for 9 months, taxes have gone through the roof so we're not even making ends meet, but for him, its a great success.

Do I sound bitter? That's because I am

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
I too, got my walking papers today. Being that most of my friends are out work also, and my trade is dead, it's time to find a new direction in life. Maybe electrical engineering.

As far as Biden goes, I think people in government live in their own happy little worlds. Oblivious to the workings of the real world.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I was laid off at the beginning of the recession, back when people were still debating whether or not it was a recession. I've since retrained (despite the fact that my old skillset was considerably advanced technically) and am now employed in a different field.

you like what you are doing now more?

That sucks dude. The upside is that it was the best thing that could have happened to me career wise as I love my new job and it just made me realise that I should have left the old one long before I was laid off.

That is great! always nice to find one's calling:)

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I was made redundant back in January but for me it came as a god send as i was in the process of setting up business on my own so at least this way i got a lump sum pay off which came in handy for setting up!!

But i can sympathise with you all because the situation here in the UK is in a complete mess! when i was looking for work i got laughed at because of the salary i was on and i wasn't even given the time of day as they thought i was using it as a stop gap :mad:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry to hear that. I hope that you got a decent severance package.

Me too. It was strange not working for the first couple of months or so, but school is so intense that it's a job in itself. I'm used to being a student again.

Only difference is that I get paid in A's instead of $'s :D

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
No fun :^(

Well I walked in to work today and 30min later I walked out laid off. I am just curious who else in the forums here is in the same predicament?

I suspect there are quite a few . . .

Sorry to hear about your situation. What field are you in? Any chance of
getting something similar from a different company?

I, too, am in this boat - and have been since 2006. Only worked two short
jobs since then (one in 2007 and one in 2008), so trying to live on the
skimpy unemployment checks is not advised . . . ;^) And I am like many
who have a lot of good experience - but also like many, over 60. My belief is
us "old folks" have been hit pretty hard this time around, but so have other
age groups, in all industries and all parts of the country.

Some people I know have suggested doing volunteer work near where you
live - good chance to help others who are maybe worse off than you, and
maybe meet people who can help. I started working at a food bank more
than 15 years ago, and it really puts things in perspective.

For this recession and ugly job market, we need to network like crazy -
update your resume, get on LinkedIn, and then find anybody and everybody
you used to know. Develop the relationship first - don't just ask for a job.

And maybe update your skills . . .

But don't give up - your new "job" is to find a job, so work hard at it every
day. ;^)

Good luck!

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
I was laid off back in April from the new home industry. I start a new job tomorrow as it turns out. Back to accounting for me....

Good luck. I know it sucks.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I've been out since March, took the summer off to hang with the kids, but I really need to go back to work now...

We'll see, the financial industry is still pretty bad right now, but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.