Who's NOT getting a 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

..just wonderin'. I'm not. Seems silly at this point to burn a 2 year contract on a mid-cycle phone that's largely the same as the 4 (that I also skipped). Not that I'm waiting another year for another let down. I'll probably get a good cheap used iPhone 4.

2. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Not me. I'd rather not have 2+ year old technology in my pocket.

3. komseban macrumors member

Parents upgraded to a iPhone 4. :')
    I'm upgrading to the 4s.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

Don't play the waiting game! What if they don't change the design next year? Then that is three years you went waiting for an iPhone that doesn't exist.

The 4S is a GIANT upgrade in terms of performance. Didn't you see the benchmarks on MacRumors Front Page? The graphics capabilities are LITERALLY the seven times performance of the A4 that Apple claimed.

And the camera is a GIANT improvement.

5. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Don't you think your answer is going to be a bit biased asking in here?

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

used Iphone 16gb sell for $300 to $400 all day long.A 4S under contract at least US they are $199 so if you have a 3gs the 4s would be more logical imo any way. now I have a I4 not sure if I will upgrade yet.

7. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Have a IP4

IP4S doesn't show me much. I'll wait until this summer with the new processor and bigger screen.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm after an iPhone 4 too. I just wish I could find one for a decent price other than the 8GB model...

9. JamesHP macrumors regular

Perfectly happy with my iP4, not really bothered about Siri and the phone itself running iOS 5 is fast enough for me. Waiting for the 6th iPhone before upgrading, will spend the money I save on an iPad.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You won't be "burning" a 2-year contract if you just buy the device outright without signing a contract ;)

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

To me you are the one who's "burning money" by not using your upgrade as soon as possible.

I am not suggesting you buy an iPhone. But you needed to buy something. (android, windows phone Anything. Unless you plan in leaving your carrier (I will assume you are with AT&T or on a postpaid carrier plan).

Here is why. You are most likely at least 2 years since your last subsidized upgrade. You could have brought an iPhone 4 (in the worst case scenario 6-12 months ago). It's find you want to keep your current phone (whatever that is). But just use your upgrade and sell the iPhone cause it has highest resell value.

That way you reset your upgrade cycle as soon as possible. Just imagine you brought an iPhone 4 and resold it for $200-400 profit last year. You would have had that money in your pocket plus reset your upgrade cycle. And the clock starts ticking and you are "mid cycle" towards another fully subsidized upgrade.

Like I said those who don't plan on leaving their current carrier should utilize their upgrade as soon as to reset the cycle and prepare for next upgrade.

12. Aaron1021 macrumors member

I'm not upgrading. I'm still happy with my 4.

13. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

Me probably. For the first time ever I'm on PAYG and not overly keen to get back into contract. Previously I would have sold the older phone to fund the new one but at around £250 for my 32GB iP4 there is too big a gap to the 32GB (or preferably 64GB) 4S. Unless a miracle happens I'll be sitting it out.

14. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I've only had my four for a few months, so I won't be. Unless something terrible happens be fire iPhone 5, I'm going to wait. Not due for an upgrade til march anyways.

15. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Since I've got an iPad 2 (which is obviously the most powerful iOS device by quite some way), the enhanced performance of the 4S doesn't really appeal to me. I play all my games on the iPad, for example.

The camera, although it sounds cool, doesn't seem that much better than the 4's. I've been looking at sample photos on Flickr and elsewhere.

Siri is pretty cool, but I've tried it on my flatmate's 4S and it seems like something I wouldn't use very much, except out of boredom or maybe in the car.

In summary: I'm happy with my iPhone 4-iPad 2 combo and I'm not willing to spend approximately £200-250 upgrading my iPhone for these features. The 4S is a fantastic phone and would be great for 3GS owners or those new to the iPhone, but I don't feel the need to upgrade from my 4 yet. I'm gonna wait for the redesign (which is very likely to be the next generation).

16. aoitsukinosuke macrumors regular

I bought an iPad2 and iPhone4 32GB back in February w/o contract. iPad does most of my media, reading and surfing on the move.
    I'm also terribly pleased w/ the phone's performance. Especially, after the iOs5 upgrade.
    Would I want a faster phone? Yes, but when the time for change comes. Otherwise, why should I fork out extra for sth that I don't miss at the moment?
    Same goes for Siri. It's good to have it, but I can do w/o it right now.
    Conclusion= I'll wait for the next gen.