Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Who here, that was going to upgrade to a new imac/mac mini, is now reconsidering due to the overpriced & underperforming hardware specs?

Please also state what you're going to do instead;

- Wait for the next revision
- Get a dell
- ???

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Who here, that was going to upgrade to a new imac/mac mini, is now reconsidering due to the overpriced & underperforming hardware specs?

Please also state what you're going to do instead;

- Wait for the next revision
- Get a dell
- ???

Me. Was going to get a mini. Was not planning on upgrading my iMac (just bought the previously mid-range one (2.66) in October and have yet to really tax it, so I see no point).

Instead of a new mini, I may get a used one (if I can find one reasonably priced; most people selling their minis seem to think they've only lost $50 of their value in the last two years).

Barring that, it'll be a Dell.

robotartfashion

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Me. Was going to get a mini. Was not planning on upgrading my iMac (just bought the previously mid-range one (2.66) in October and have yet to really tax it, so I see no point).

Instead of a new mini, I may get a used one (if I can find one reasonably priced; most people selling their minis seem to think they've only lost $50 of their value in the last two years).

Barring that, it'll be a Dell.

ya, good luck on the used plan

i still see people on ebay and craigslist selling the ppc minis for $400+ bucks

ridiculous but true

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
My home iMac is long overdue for an upgrade and I have got cash in hand to buy one but I think this upgrade is very disappointing. Maybe until the mobile Nehalem chips become available there was not much room for a logical chip upgrade but I for one will keep hold of my hard earned cash until something more inspiring is presented by Apple.

My overall feeling is this will be the last outing of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips in this iMac revision before Apple they do a "proper" upgrade with Nehalem chips etc. etc. - hopefully towards the end of this year? When this happens I'll be more happy to pay a premium price for a premium technical spec.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
ya, good luck on the used plan

i still see people on ebay and craigslist selling the ppc minis for $400+ bucks

ridiculous but true

Well, I didn't say it was realistic, just that it was an option. :)

But ya, people think these things are worth WAY more than they actually are.

3lutz3toe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I’m still using my G5 white Imac at home and it is seriously due for an upgrade. But I’m not gonna fork over money for a really minute bump.

I’m holding out at least until Snow Leopard or the next revision, and it had better be a significant one.

I can grudgingly live w/ my old Imac for now.
:(

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
I sold my iMac and built a PC and now I'm glad.

For $1000 I got quad core, nice graphic card, 4 gb of ram and a huge hdd. You can't even get that on the top of the line iMac for over $2k!!!!!

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I am on the fence.

While I do like my white 2.16 C2D system, it has a 7600GT with 256mb which extends its use somewhat, I really would like a more powerful graphics option.

It looks like I can triple my graphics potential by using the 4850 video.

I was not expecting the prices to stay so high, let alone go higher. The mini is a joke at its price... and it is hard to justify a new iMac

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I wont be. I have the 20" iMac. There's nothing significant in the new upgrades of the 20" iMac, that convince me to upgrade.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Not me. I just bought a refurb 24" 2.4GHz iMac 2 weeks ago. I may get a price refund if that same model shows up in the store (it's not there now), but I'm not getting a new one.

azdunerat

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Maybe I will be one of the few but I am thrilled with the update. I was looking at getting a baseline mini for a HTPC to compliment the one a bought last month and the new specs will be perfect. I really think for 600.00 you are getting one hell of a little machine.

Is it a mac pro? No and if thats what you were expecting I hope you are ready for a lifetime of dissapointment with computers

nerdish

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
Manchester, UK
I was going to get a new Mini, but now.... i'm going Dell, hell, i'd rather waste my money on an old PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 than buy the new Mini, at least thats got dedicated graphics and more expandable for RAM and HDDs!

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
+1 for being on the fence.

I wanted a new Mac Mini but I'm not exactly blown away by the spec/price combo. I've built an i7 based PC which covers the Mac Pro option for me and my MBP is still in good shape (only a year old today). I have the previous base model Mini but thought the new one would Handle HD stuff a bit better. If it is a significant improvement in this area I'll buy one.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I was in the market for a mini. At first I was going to go for it, but now that I look at it more I'm not sure.

Keva161

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I was going to get a mini as a media server but this update and the price increase.. thinking of abondoning the idea for now and getting a macbook later in the year.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Was going to get a Mini for HTPC duties. Since the price is fairly ridiculous for what you get, not to mention the fact you now need to shell out extra $$$ to apple for a graphics dongle, and extra $$ for the remote since they decided to be cheap about it and not include it anymore, I have decided NOT to give Apple my money.

Instead I will build a Hackint0sh in an HTPC case that will perform better and will cost at least $100 less.

Apple really screwed the pooch with these updates today.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I bought my 24" 3.06 iMac in January, and had planned to upgrade to the new one if it was C2Q and LED. The new models offer me nothing new. I'm planning to build a new gaming PC this summer, and will probably get Hackintosh compatible parts and play around with it. So, if that works out well I'll keep my MacBook and sell the iMac and move to the Hackintosh for my main system. Hopefully by then there will be a way to use the 24" LED with the Hackintosh.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
pretty sure I'm out

I've been a blathering ranting old man on these forums for months now and todays ridiculous updates have pretty much solidified my disgust with the New Apple and their pricing/lack of hardware structure.

The iMac with a 9400!? What a joke! So the old model if you had 4GB of ram you got to use it all but the 9400 eats up 256MB of your system ram so you just lost that for programs etc.

The quad core Mac Pro is basically a pretty $1k windows machine disguised as a workstation, while the real Mac Pro base price went up to over $3,000? This is the largest world recession since the 1930's and Apple basically took away hardware, raised prices and decided to smack Europe with a giant tax?

I feel like someone just punched me in the jewels and laughed as they did it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
This is the largest world recession since the 1930's and Apple basically took away hardware, raised prices and decided to smack Europe with a giant tax?

I feel like someone just punched me in the jewels and laughed as they did it.

LOL.... :p

Hello from the USA....

Apple's idea of dealing with the recession is to KEEP and update the Mini as part of its lineup (as well as the White $999 MacBook)... :eek:

Enjoy...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm not trading in my imac, but I could see picking up one of these minis to use for a mac media center at some point.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
LOL.... :p

Hello from the USA....

Apple's idea of dealing with the recession is to KEEP and update the Mini as part of its lineup (as well as the White $999 MacBook)... :eek:

Enjoy...

Hello back from the USA. (I'm not European I just wanted to show love for my irate brethren overseas)

And as for keeping the mac mini that is also a joke sorry. For the same money you can build a cheap quad core system so pretty much everything except the 15in line of macbook pros is overpriced for less now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.