Who's not upgrading?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wesleyh, Mar 3, 2009.

  1. wesleyh macrumors 6502

    Mar 23, 2007
    Who here, that was going to upgrade to a new imac/mac mini, is now reconsidering due to the overpriced & underperforming hardware specs?

    Please also state what you're going to do instead;

    - Wait for the next revision
    - Get a dell
    - ???
  2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    Me. Was going to get a mini. Was not planning on upgrading my iMac (just bought the previously mid-range one (2.66) in October and have yet to really tax it, so I see no point).

    Instead of a new mini, I may get a used one (if I can find one reasonably priced; most people selling their minis seem to think they've only lost $50 of their value in the last two years).

    Barring that, it'll be a Dell.
  3. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

    Jan 1, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    ya, good luck on the used plan

    i still see people on ebay and craigslist selling the ppc minis for $400+ bucks

    ridiculous but true
  4. spcdust macrumors 6502a


    May 6, 2008
    London, UK
    My home iMac is long overdue for an upgrade and I have got cash in hand to buy one but I think this upgrade is very disappointing. Maybe until the mobile Nehalem chips become available there was not much room for a logical chip upgrade but I for one will keep hold of my hard earned cash until something more inspiring is presented by Apple.

    My overall feeling is this will be the last outing of Intel's Core 2 Duo chips in this iMac revision before Apple they do a "proper" upgrade with Nehalem chips etc. etc. - hopefully towards the end of this year? When this happens I'll be more happy to pay a premium price for a premium technical spec.
  5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    Well, I didn't say it was realistic, just that it was an option. :)

    But ya, people think these things are worth WAY more than they actually are.
  6. 3lutz3toe macrumors member

    Feb 19, 2008
    I’m still using my G5 white Imac at home and it is seriously due for an upgrade. But I’m not gonna fork over money for a really minute bump.

    I’m holding out at least until Snow Leopard or the next revision, and it had better be a significant one.

    I can grudgingly live w/ my old Imac for now.
  7. mastershakess macrumors 6502

    May 14, 2008
    Bel Air, MD
    I sold my iMac and built a PC and now I'm glad.

    For $1000 I got quad core, nice graphic card, 4 gb of ram and a huge hdd. You can't even get that on the top of the line iMac for over $2k!!!!!
  8. Shivetya macrumors 65816

    Jan 16, 2008
    I am on the fence.

    While I do like my white 2.16 C2D system, it has a 7600GT with 256mb which extends its use somewhat, I really would like a more powerful graphics option.

    It looks like I can triple my graphics potential by using the 4850 video.

    I was not expecting the prices to stay so high, let alone go higher. The mini is a joke at its price... and it is hard to justify a new iMac
  9. macmee Suspended


    Dec 13, 2008
    I wont be. I have the 20" iMac. There's nothing significant in the new upgrades of the 20" iMac, that convince me to upgrade.
  10. danny_w macrumors 601

    Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Not me. I just bought a refurb 24" 2.4GHz iMac 2 weeks ago. I may get a price refund if that same model shows up in the store (it's not there now), but I'm not getting a new one.
  11. azdunerat macrumors regular

    Feb 11, 2009
    Maybe I will be one of the few but I am thrilled with the update. I was looking at getting a baseline mini for a HTPC to compliment the one a bought last month and the new specs will be perfect. I really think for 600.00 you are getting one hell of a little machine.

    Is it a mac pro? No and if thats what you were expecting I hope you are ready for a lifetime of dissapointment with computers
  12. nerdish macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2009
    Manchester, UK
    I was going to get a new Mini, but now.... i'm going Dell, hell, i'd rather waste my money on an old PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 than buy the new Mini, at least thats got dedicated graphics and more expandable for RAM and HDDs!
  13. steveza macrumors 68000


    Feb 20, 2008
    +1 for being on the fence.

    I wanted a new Mac Mini but I'm not exactly blown away by the spec/price combo. I've built an i7 based PC which covers the Mac Pro option for me and my MBP is still in good shape (only a year old today). I have the previous base model Mini but thought the new one would Handle HD stuff a bit better. If it is a significant improvement in this area I'll buy one.
  14. OneMike macrumors 603


    Oct 19, 2005
    I was in the market for a mini. At first I was going to go for it, but now that I look at it more I'm not sure.
  15. Keva161 macrumors member

    Jul 13, 2008
    I was going to get a mini as a media server but this update and the price increase.. thinking of abondoning the idea for now and getting a macbook later in the year.
  16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030


    Jan 10, 2007
    Was going to get a Mini for HTPC duties. Since the price is fairly ridiculous for what you get, not to mention the fact you now need to shell out extra $$$ to apple for a graphics dongle, and extra $$ for the remote since they decided to be cheap about it and not include it anymore, I have decided NOT to give Apple my money.

    Instead I will build a Hackint0sh in an HTPC case that will perform better and will cost at least $100 less.

    Apple really screwed the pooch with these updates today.
  17. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

    Jun 1, 2006
    I bought my 24" 3.06 iMac in January, and had planned to upgrade to the new one if it was C2Q and LED. The new models offer me nothing new. I'm planning to build a new gaming PC this summer, and will probably get Hackintosh compatible parts and play around with it. So, if that works out well I'll keep my MacBook and sell the iMac and move to the Hackintosh for my main system. Hopefully by then there will be a way to use the 24" LED with the Hackintosh.
  18. RebootD macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    pretty sure I'm out

    I've been a blathering ranting old man on these forums for months now and todays ridiculous updates have pretty much solidified my disgust with the New Apple and their pricing/lack of hardware structure.

    The iMac with a 9400!? What a joke! So the old model if you had 4GB of ram you got to use it all but the 9400 eats up 256MB of your system ram so you just lost that for programs etc.

    The quad core Mac Pro is basically a pretty $1k windows machine disguised as a workstation, while the real Mac Pro base price went up to over $3,000? This is the largest world recession since the 1930's and Apple basically took away hardware, raised prices and decided to smack Europe with a giant tax?

    I feel like someone just punched me in the jewels and laughed as they did it.
  19. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    LOL.... :p

    Hello from the USA....

    Apple's idea of dealing with the recession is to KEEP and update the Mini as part of its lineup (as well as the White $999 MacBook)... :eek:

  20. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'm not trading in my imac, but I could see picking up one of these minis to use for a mac media center at some point.
  21. RebootD macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hello back from the USA. (I'm not European I just wanted to show love for my irate brethren overseas)

    And as for keeping the mac mini that is also a joke sorry. For the same money you can build a cheap quad core system so pretty much everything except the 15in line of macbook pros is overpriced for less now.

Share This Page