Who's overclocked and what card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Appleboy1717, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Appleboy1717 macrumors regular

Hey all.
    I was wondering who has overclocked and with what cards? What were you able to achieve?
    I overclocked the stock 5200fx I know it's slow but does what I want and plays call of duty 2 and halo great.
    Stock it's 300 core and 275 memory. I overclocked it to 340/300 with just the heatsink. I'm gonna get a fan and maybe go more. Anyone modded theirs?
    Works great and gained a few fps.

Teal

2. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Overclocking can be a fun hobby, but your not going to get much positive feedback here! lol

I spent 6 years pushing hardware to the breaking point (and many times beyond) in the land of Intel and PC's. It doesn't matter what the hardware your using, pushing it just a little bit further than it was meant to go sorta feels gratifying.

Keep tweaking!

if you feel real adventurous check out Xtreme Systems (mainly PC's but that is basically what were using too) at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php

3. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, everyone seems against it here, and refers to other sites. But, yeah, idk. I do the same thing with my car....
    But yeah, overclocking is a blast.
    anyone else do it and like it?

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I had an AM2 processor O.C.ed - unfortunately I wasn't able to get it too far on air since it was already blazing hot (stock clock was 3.2 GHz) Currently ordering parts for something easier for a friend of mine; an OC to 3.2 GHz on an i5 750.

Odd, I know how to do this and am not using a PC... :rolleyes: I find it odd.

EDIT - I haven't touched my graphics cards - my 8800GT had an iffy cooler, and there's no way I'm going to be able to replace a Voodoo 5500 anytime soon :p

5. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, well the nvidia 5200 seems fine where I have it, with no extra cooling...and no fan. It just has a heatsink. I'm gonna rig up a fan to it and see if I can go any further.
    How do you like your quad G5?

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I used to own the Asetek Vapochill PE unit, which could cool 180 Watt and a thermal peltier with a watercooling system for my graphic cards.

[​IMG]

Processor temperature were usually -20°C to -30°C and I cannot remember what temperatures my graphic cards were at. The processor the unit struggled most with were the Prescott Pentium 4.

In my time, I have owned a Voodoo 1, Matrox G400 Max, Radeon 64DDR, Radeon 64DDR All-in-Wonder, Radeon 8500, Radeon 9700 Pro, Radeon 9800 XT, Radeon X800 XT-PE (several, as they kept dying on me), Radeon HD 2600XT and the Radeon HD 4890.

Of those the only one I didn't overclock were the Voodoo 1.

7. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice. Yeah, seems its the PC people who overclock. All my freinds are PC people and they overclock themselves too. But, there are some mac people. I am certain of it:)

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

On my Gaming rig i have my E7200 clocked to 4Ghz, from a stock of 2.5Ghz.... Got a GTX275 overclocked too, cant remember what exact clocks though, it wasnt much more than stock.

9. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

wow. Thats a pretty big overclock on the processor. How are you keeping that cool? Seems like it would really make it hot.

10. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, with time my work got serious and I couldn't quite accept any hardware failures. Especially due to overclocking, so now I am rocking a Mac Pro.

11. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea can understand the need for stability. I feel you there. So far working like a chime and stress tested it too. Just curious who else did it to their cards and how far over they went. Added fans and te sort. Also if any tweaked the 5200. I saw a couple did. I seem to notice some difference anyone else? Before and after difference?

12. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, I would OC my Voodoo 5500, except... it just seems like a piece of history. :p I mean, we're talking SLI here! If only I could get my hands on one of the handful of 6000s out there... ;)

Works wonderfully. Of course, even though I can't bump anything around with it, it is less than easy to get a stable stock clock on a G5 processor, IIRC.

13. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah the processor was plenty fast for me, and not cheap to replace if I blow it up. But happy with my overclocked 5200. Come in though. Am I the only mac user on here that oberclocks a mac. Chime in

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I wouldn't be so sure about that!
    Actually there are users around here that really overclock their Mac and not only the graphics card.

15. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, maybe they will chime in later:) I just got a lot of flack when I mentioned it before...but I would love to hear what people have done to their cards and computers in general.

16. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone overclock thair macs card. any gains? come on people. There HAS to be some of you overclockers/curious folks on here:)

17. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

going back to a powermac g4... those could be overclocked by replacing the switched on the processor's card. but the most you could really obtain was about 100Mhz or so more which wasn't much of a real solution.

I have not heard of anyone overclocking a g5... but once again i am sure that it isn't anything groundbreaking.

once we moved to intel zdnet released a tool that would overclock the processor by increasing the internal clock speed which screws with the system clock.

since apple uses EFI for a bios replacement overclocking is not such an easy task as it is with pcs. so you won't hear much of people doing it. Not saying it can't be done but it certainly can't be done by me :rolleyes:.

18. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I know with Cindori's ATI Flashing Tool there are multiple ROMs provided - one with the default clock speeds and one with overclocked speeds. I've only read of one person actually going with an overclocked ROM, though.

Seriously, dude, you're not likely to find many people who overclock their machines here. Try a PC forum. ;)

19. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I was more interested in the graphics cards. I would rather not mess with the G5 processors, they are not cheap to replace. The cards are easy to overclock using graphiccellerator or aticellerator which covers pretty all the mac cards.

20. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

I was playing around with xbench, and I seem to be getting a pretty solid/average of 123.xx fps. Before overclocking I was getting around 114-116fps. Seems like a solid upgrade for 5 minutes of my time.
    What are some other fps???

21. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

How can I safely over clock my mac pro's processor, it's a Mac Pro3,1 Octo @ 3.0GHz, also can you OC your RAM too?
    How do I over clock my graphics card?? (GTX 285 1GB)

22. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey,
    I am not really sure on the processors...I know the G5's were pretty warm, but I am not sure about the mac pros.
    Check out graphiccellerator and ATIcellerator. I am not sure if your card is supported, but those are the easy mac overclockers.

23. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

The Core 2s are notoriously good for overclocking. I used to run my e6300 (stock 1.86ghz) at 3.0ghz with the stock cooler and not run into any issues. With a better heatsink and a motherboard which could handle the faster FSB, it would have gone faster. The e6300 was entry level and so the multiplier was the true restriction.

24. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Neither of those will work. ;)

25. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats awesome...I would do it in my macbook pro, but I think it would melt.
    Great to hear you can overclock the mac pros. There was not too much talk about overclocking the G5's. Too hot or what?