Who's taken the Comptia Net+ exam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by VI™, Jul 15, 2014.

1. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Bueller?

I'm studying up for mine now. I've worked in the IT field for the past 8 years and decided to go back to a school that trains you for certs as well as getting you a degree. Well, I'm tired of being stuck at my current job where I ended up flipping papers after being laid off and figured I don't want to wait for the classes, so I'm going to start by getting my Net+ and Security+. I already have taken networking classes in the past and have experience building, adminning, and troubleshooting networks in the field, so why shouldn't I? I picked up Mike Meyer's All In One 5th ed. book and I'm nearly through it after about a week of reading in my free time. Everything looks fairly familiar.

I hate test, but I'm confident I can pass this one and I'll hopefully have my Net+ with in the month.

I've also got a book for the Sec+ that I'm going to work on next and hope to have that by December depending on the difficultly so that I can at least find an entry level job that's better than where I'm at now. Plus I think I can get credit for the certification courses instead of having to sit through them if I already have certain certs.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I work for a MSP and while we don't put a lot of faith into certifications, we won't look at you without them on your resume.

3. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Be careful not to 'over certified' without any demonstrable experience. I personally have A+, Network+, Security+, and an MCSE on Windows 2000. Not once has any employer cared about anything other than the A+.

Sadly, I am a 'paper MCSE' and because I don't have any real world experience to back it up, I have no job at all at the moment, so I went back to school.

4. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is my problem. I don't yet have a degree or certifications although I have 9 years working experience. I got a good job while going to a bad school and quit school but kept the job and unfortunately, lost my job during the sequester and had no certifications to even get a second look at while job hunting elsewhere. "Attending school for X degree and certifications" really does nothing even though I have the experience.

Like above, I have experience, but no certifications. One recruiter I talked to said I'll at least need a Sec+ to even get looked at for most entry level jobs in thr future.