who's the biggest iphone threat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsvtecjohn3, May 19, 2008.

1. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

With the Iphone and other phones about to come out, who do you guys think might be the the biggest threat to the Iphone 2.0. Do you think any of these phone might be the the one Nokia n95, Lg vu, Sprint instinct, blackberry thunder, blackberry bold or another phone.

note: the Blackberry Thunder is only going to be with Verzion

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Is it really that hard for everybody to do this:

iPhone

It's not Iphone, nor IPhone. I give ya iphone if you're a lowercase freak, but c'mon! I see the word 4 times on my page right now!

</rant>

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

What?

Threat to the iPhone? Seriously? I really think it lives in a class of its own, very similar to the way Macs do. I can't see one phone model competing against it.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

But you don't get picked up on Verizon? ;) That's favouritism hehe

I'd think companies - Nokia, RIM etc. Apple is the underdog here - Nokia ships more handsets at breakfast than Apple currently does, well, probably for the last 5 weeks ;)

Apple's coming on strong. The better the handset, the more the competition. I'd imagine a few more handsets would get added (Nokia's Tube or similar), some Sony Ericsson models etc.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That's what I was thinking as well. I never had any intention of getting a smartphone before the iPhone was released. I don't really have any desire to get a different one. I wanted an iPod that was also a phone so I could only carry one device. Well, they threw a bunch of Internet stuff on it too, so I think I'm pretty good to go. There are obviously features that could be added, but I really don't like what I have heard about any of the other smartphones. They don't seem to understand that it's not the touchscreen that drew people to the iPhone. It's all the stuff below the touchscreen.

6. lsvtecjohn3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the iPhone a lot, but there's a lot of things that apple going to do to make the iPhone 2.0 better. When that happens i'll say for sure the iPhone is the best phone out there.

IMO the only phone out that will be a threat is the Nokia n95 but it interface sucks ass and thats a big turn off to me

7. lsvtecjohn3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

great answer I feel the same way you do

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I haven't used the N95, but if the interface sucks, that's a deal-killer. There are a lot of powerful PCs being made today, but using Windows pretty much kills the usability. Same could be said of Microsoft's Web site. They have a TON of information on there, but it has always been a poorly-designed piece of bloatware.

Apple and Google are two of the best designers of simply usable software on the planet. I started using Google because I went there and the main page was pretty darn simple. Yahoo and others about a decade ago loved to clutter that main page.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

There's no such thing as "the best phone", except for the one that meets your particular needs.

10. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I am not sure if the iPhone can be in class as other phones. iPhone does things that others can't and the other way around. But, I truly think the iPhone can be the following.

1. Internet Tablet (maybe even a mini tablet Mac)
    2. PSP or the like
    3. iPod (music/video player)
    4. Phone

I don't currently know of another phone/device that is aiming to do all this and more. Nokia, RIM, HTC all have great ideas, but iPhone to me is truly my all in one device. I would have never bought an iPod prior to the iPhone. And now look, I have fallen to Apple's plan. Bought iPhone, then ATV, then iMac, plus all the content I now get from iTunes.

If I had to pick, I would go with the HTC Touch Diamond, looks like a cool phone, but then again I refer to this as a Phone whereas the iPhone is a device.

11. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM,
    RIM!!!!!

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

biggest threat? i'd have to say google because of android's potential. we've only seen bits, but i can see it being the platform of choice for developers. put it on better spec'd hardware, and you have a threat.

13. davidlw macrumors 6502a

The biggest threat to iPhone is Blackberry. With its upcoming Blackberry 9000 Bold, it will be a real threat especially for the business crowd.

14. Ames macrumors member

Opera 9.5 is the biggest threat. Most reviews seem to have it equal or better than Safari. A good browser on WinMo devices would make a lot of people stay on WinMo.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The only threat to the Apple iPhone is the Apple iPhone itself! (Sort of a take on Carl Von Clausewitz). If V2 doesn't live up to all the hype and rumors, then everyone sitting on the fence will end up searching elsewhere and the current iPhone owners will just resume life without upgrading. :cool: