Who's the copycat Linux or Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by v2club, Sep 26, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

Apart from my MPB, I also have a PC. A couple days ago I decided to try Linux, because I've never tryed it before. After installing Ubuntu on my PC, I was very suprised to see that it's very very similar to Mac OS X and I was wondering who's the copycat?

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Everyone copies everyone back and forth now a days. But MacOS's aqua etc GUI predates Unity.

3. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Who gives a ****.

For most things UI the mac came first. Multiple workspaces (Spaces or Mission control in lion) it originated on linux first, but then they took that from Sun's CDE and they had it off of SGI's unix. Get the picture?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does it matter? I pick the platform that best provides a solution, I don't care if ubuntu has taken elements from OSX to make that OS easier to use, or if windows grabs some of the UI elements, or even if OSX steals some stuff

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Google Xerox PARC. (Actually Google Xerox GUI)

Everyone copy's each other.

6. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

OK, first off linux does not equal Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a brand of a linux based OS.

Anyway, Ubuntu is opensource and free. If you really want to know go grab a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 and compare it to Ubuntu 11.04 and Tiger and Lion.

OS X's influence over Ubuntu is obvious. It's not exactly that Ubuntu is a free copy of OS X, in fact, it very much is not. It's just that Ubuntu devs seem to agree that Apple does a lot of things right and is simply following similar design theory and methods.

7. coteyr macrumors newbie

Both

As a linux and mac user and developer for both (not for apple just develop on both) I can tell you for 100% sure that they share TONS of code. They are also completely separate.

Truthfully you could probably go down the list of major features for both OS X and (let say) KDE and find that both are sharing and contributing code and feature sets back and forth.

Never forget that large portions of OSX are open source. What it really amounts to is this. When theres a good feature Who ever doesn't have it, implements it. Then MS bastardizes it ;P

8. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

So why haven't the Linux people implemented launchd yet?

9. Shivetya macrumors 65816

It was really bad when some versions aped the XP look and feel without actually having the same functionality. Led to lots of frustration, after all it looks like a duck should it not quack like one too?

10. coteyr macrumors newbie

Is that a joke? LaunchD is pretty horrid. It works, but it's totally backwards from a *nix perspective.

Remember the *nix goal is 1 task 1 program.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/winston/10kw/launchd.html

Thats not to say everyone follows it, but thats the overall goal.

11. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

And even they copied ideas off of others…. Search back far enough and you’ll end up at cavemen rubbing sticks together.

12. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

It could be worse. Apple could implement their own version of (Microsoft's) registry hives. *shudders*

13. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Right because dealing with hundreds of plist files are so much better. :rolleyes:

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Yes, indeed it is!!! You can roll your eyes all you want, but that doesn't make you any less wrong....

S-

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes. It is do horridly non-*nix that Apple's MacOS X 10.5 and above are certified UNIX 03.