Who's up for an international challenge? Using Mac at Korean School

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by debger, Mar 10, 2010.

1. debger macrumors newbie

So I've recently arrived in Seoul and am teaching at a middle school. I have been attempting to connect my mac to the schools network. The technicians here have never seen a mac nor do they speak or comprehend much English.

I've entered the correct IP address, subnet mask and dns host. Under the network category of system preferences my ethernet says its connected with a green light for reassurement but when i open a browser it will not connect to the internet.

All the pc's here are in Korean but with patience i can find any information to match with my mac.

Can anyone offer me any suggestion or preferably solutions?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Wouldn't just letting the Ethernet or Wireless automatically get an IP address and such be easier?

3. debger thread starter macrumors newbie

Without entering my assigned IP address the ethernet can not connect to the network, when uising my assigned IP address it does connect to the network but my browser won't connect to the internet.

I assume the system is designed like this so that only staff with an assigned IP address can access the service. I remember experiencing the same restriction when i was in University.

4. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

There are not much to do wrong. Network protocols are standard regardless of what operating systems you use. Do they have a list with ip, dns, subnet and so on?

5. pengytek macrumors newbie

do you maybe have to go through some sort of authentication portal or possibly set your browser to go through a proxy?