Who's Upgrading to Retina MBP since there is no rMBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stark4, Jun 10, 2013.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

Who's upgrading to rMBP since there is no rMBA?

I was hoping to upgrade my 2012 MBA with rMBA but since there is no rMBA should i upgrade to 13" rMBP? or should i wait for refresh rMBP? :(

Thanks

2. WWDC2013 macrumors member

Looks like it's going to be me.... waiting for the 15" retina MBP upgrade... hopefully, the price will be lowered by $150~$200

3. adiddas125 macrumors member

Why are there so many people upset over a non retina display.

The MBA has a nice display. Why is everyone sour grapes about no Retina display in the Airs this year? It is probably one of the least important upgrades for those people who actually need a MBA (portable user).

Can we stop with all this whining, it makes you all look like entitled children. Huge increases in battery life, 2x more SSD storage and a wireless network card speed bump isnt enough to make you happy, nothing ever will.

4. Bear macrumors G3

I suspect the rMBP will see an update within a month. However, that's only a guess. The question is how long do you want to wait before ordering a rMBP?

5. Grove86 macrumors newbie

Have to agree here. you're talking about 11/13'' screen size. What's the point of having higher resolution at that screen size? None whatsoever. It still supports higher resolution when hooked up to an external monitor. I've had 2009 13'' MBP until now and not once did I think the resolution was too low. I will be getting a new MBA because of it's portability and superb battery life. I know I don't need any higher resolution and power as I have a desktop with a 30'' monitor sitting at home.

The only reason one should ever pick MBP over MBA is because you want that power to do some productive work, may it be some sort of graphic designing, programming, rendering, etc. If you want to play light gaming with it, it may be another reason for you to choose 15'' MBP over MBA. Even 13'' MBP won't give you any better gaming performance than MBA. It's still sitting on Intel HD Graphics 4000.

So in my opinion, should really think about what you're using the computer for. For regular usage like schooling(MS word, PPT, Excel, Youtube, web surfing) MBA has the perfect balance of price (at least compare to MBPs), portability, battery, and performance.

6. christof macrumors 6502

I eBay'd my rMBP right before WWDC, hoping for Haswell rMBPs. Alas, I told myself I'd get whatever Haswell was released, so I'm debating base config 11- or 13-inch MBAs… leaning toward the 13-inch.

7. Grove86 macrumors newbie

Same, 11 inch screen just felt too small for me. The weight difference is negligible. I guess the selling point difference would be their prices and battery life.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Not until they put Haswell on that retina.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm contemplating a MBA due to the fact that a new rMBP wasn't released. Certainly the Air has all the power I need, but I'd love a Retina screen for the extensive reading/writing I do and was hoping to purchase a 13-inch rMBP yesterday.

10. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

All you guys who can't see the advantage of a retina display, even at 11", seriously need your eyes tested.
    So disappointed MBA hasnt gone retina. Mine will get sold. Vaio Pro 11 next.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I don't think the MBA needs a retina resolution, but a bump in the screen resolution would have been appreciated.

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Try using an rMBP for a week and then state your case ;)

13" rMBP display is leaps and bounds better than the MBA displays ... I have both. If you're going to be staring at the screen for long hours the retina is worth it FOR SURE!

Least important upgrade? No way. The screen is very important, it's what you're looking at all day..

----------

You might want to reconsider on the Vaio Pro ... It's a joke.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/4/4395926/sony-vaio-pro-review-were-going-to-war-with-the-macbook-air

13. questionmark macrumors member

No, you shouldn't. As the 13" rMBP is just about 10% more powerful than the MBA with high configuration, you will be better off getting the 15" rMBP.

Check out the refurbished one which is just $1599.

14. Uliman macrumors member

Gonna wait for the next iteration of the rMBP with the hope that it gets slimmed down a bit as one prognosticator has suggested. I think Apple has made a mistake with this version of the MBA. Despite the faster SSD, I just don't see a reason to dump my 2012 MBA on one of my kids in order to buy the 2013. I predict the sales of this unit will be disappointing to the bean counters. The better screen is quite important to a lot of people. Apple should have listened to the whiners!

15. scupking macrumors 6502a

It's so funny how people are complaining about not having retina on the MBA. Go by a rmbp then if you want retina. I think the new airs are a great upgrade. Faster ssd, much faster graphics, faster CPU performance and much better battery life. I would like to upgrade but I'm still happy with my low res 2010 13" MBP!

16. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

I didn't see anything in that review that would put me off...

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

10%?

You're basing that off geekbench scores, right?

18. Jedi Master macrumors regular

Same reason they want a Retina display on a 27" iMac

So they can say Mine is bigger than your's, or what you said.

Retina on an 11" air is too funny

19. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Not everyone needs the power of the 15-inch. The 13 rMBP is not obsolete.

20. tdream macrumors 65816

Some people know what they want and know what they value. Everyone is going to love huge increases in battery life but that's thanks to Intel. Everyone who uses Haswell in laptop will enjoy the benefits.

SSD storage is nice but again not a tipping point. Wireless network speed bump is nice to, but it's an evolution and most people aren't even aware of 802.11ac.

When you have phones available that have greater resolution than a 4.7 inch phone, there's a disconnect. When you people touting 300ppi on a 4 inch device and satisfied with less than half that on a 11 and 13 inch device, there's a disconnect.

Granted some people couldn't tell the difference between a good DVD and 720p video when HD first arrived but it wasn't those looking for a 1080+p screens. It's like when the iPhone 4 first came out, everyone was raving about it. It was something you have to experience. I haven't even seen the rMBP but I'm sure it will be a special moment when not if the MBA gets the retina screen.

That will be a game changer and everyone that was hoping for that experience on Monday was left slightly disappointed. Apple usually don't give us power users what we really want. ie. iPhone 4 should have been the iPhone 3GS. iPad 3 should have been iPad 2. Apple like to slowly dole out the upgrades when it suits them. So you either get with the program and follow the incremental updates or to get the most bang for buck, wait several generations until they make the product you want. I like many will be waiting.

The screen is the most important component of a computer. It's how you experience everything the computer has to offer and if it's limited to a lower resolution well then everything gets a little bit less crisp and less enjoyable. There was an expectation that Apple could have pulled it off. The competition are certainly not resting on their laurels with 1080p screens and beyond.

It's certainly reasonable to feel disappointed with the announcement. I have come to expect it now, as my needs are not in line with Apple's roadmap. The only thing you do need is a bit of patience. iPhone 4 to iPhone 7 should be a nice upgrade as will 2009 MBP to 2014 rMBA :)

21. nobackup macrumors member

nobackup

going the other way actually have a rMBP 13 2.9 8G 512GB

great screen, but gets warm , battery time erratic ..., bit of a weight to lug around

need a new system back in Feb .. and this was a kind of ... get most of your money back option ... (simple compare on a few recommence sites here in Germany)

I run the screen in 1400x900 to get good performance (and to read it) ... so the move to the 2013 13 Air gives me less heat , less weight and better battery life .... for a screen that is still "Great" only bummer is the lack of HDMI ... but I already have a connector for that :)

your opinion might be different, and thats great too, these are my needs :D

22. Grove86, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

Grove86 macrumors newbie

I still don't think screen is important when we're talking about 11-13 inch. Staring at your computer watching youtube, typing word documents, and surfing webs in high resolution is a not a necessity, especially at the cost you'll have to shell out; It is a bad investment.

Ofcourse a display quality is important. In fact, I own Dell U3011 (30 inch / 2560 by 1600 resolution) monitor at home for this very reason. Watching bluray and opening multiple programs to do work on it is absolutely amazing. Yes, the monitor costs ~$1000 but I do think it's worth every penny. With that said, I think my opinion comes from good experiences with displays.

But you're missing my point. My point is, you don't need the retina display when you are using it on 11-13inch for general usage. If people wants to shell out extra hundreds to do everyday tasks in high resolution in small cramped display...by all means they can. I sure won't.

I just spent $~1600 for the MBA(i5, 8gb ram, 256gb sdd, 3yr applecare). To buy 13 rMBP with comparable spec, you'll be spending $2000. I'd much rather spend that $400 towards a high-res 27inch monitor.

23. soulstoner macrumors newbie

Grove, what about a $1600 rMBP 15" (base spec) vs. the premium fully loaded 2013 MBA 13" ($1800)?

Of course size is a factor, but the horsepower to $ ratio seems better on the 15".

24. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The rMBP is a much much better deal. Quad core with a discrete GPU vs a lower clocked dual core. An external HDD can make up the difference between 256 and 512. Unless battery life and portability are really important.

25. Grove86 macrumors newbie

What will you be doing with your MBA/rMBP? rMBP 15'' base spec retails at $2100 on apple website. Basically it comes down to if you will utilize your GT650M and i7 CPU or not. And at 15'', the value of retina display will increase as well since the screen is bigger. If you do some graphic related work or plan to game on it, sure rMBP 15'' will be worth it. Just don't get 13'' rMBP.

I got MBA because I play no games on my laptop. I have a desktop for that. My graduate school goes from 8am to 4pm. 7 hours of lecture means I need alot of battery life, which haswell can easily deliver with MBA. I also don't want my laptop take much space in my backpack as I will be lugging around my school equipments/books.