Who's using AntiVirus software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dale124, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Dale124 macrumors member

Hi guys. I did a quick search on this site and found one thread that seemed to suggest most people here don't use an Antivirus. Is that the case?
    Please weigh in on this one, as I would like to get a read on this issue. And if you do use an AntiVirus, which one?
    Thanks.
    Dale.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Never used it on OS X and rarely do in Windows.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I use ClamXav when I am sending files to Windows users but other than that I don't.

5. Dale124 thread starter macrumors member

Well I only had a look in the one that I mentioned. The reason I asked is that when I got this mac, I bought the "mac os x leopard for dummies" book, and the author strongly recommends an A/Virus. Just wanted to run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. I assume you do not.

6. si77hay macrumors regular

Since "switching" several months ago, I've never used a third-party anti-virus, or spyware program, nor have I had any issues.

7. krackers macrumors member

No No No

you do not need an anti virus because there are no known viruses for mac and antiviruses will just slow down your mac.On the otherhand, there are quite a few things, so just remember the basic rules, dont open email from unknown sources, dont download stuff from unknown sources...etc....

Hope this helps. :apple:

8. beth1400 macrumors newbie

I use them

For my Macbook, I use McAfee. McAfee costs about 30-50 bucks. For my Windows partition in boot camp, I use AVG free (yes, it is free). With the combination of the two programs, I have had no real issues. I've been infected by viruses and spyware in the past when I didn't take precautions...better safe than sorry.

9. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

iAntivirus. Works very well and brings no slowdown at all.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I had a look at it today - but couldn't find any way to turn off the automatic file quarantine. Is there a way to do this?

(And sorry about hijacking the thread :rolleyes:)

11. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Ok, here goes:

You do not need AntiVirus software. You do not need AntiVirus software. You do not need AntiVirus software. You do not need AntiVirus software. You do not need AntiVirus software.

Hope this makes it clear. Yes, use antivirus software for windows (I've got viruses and trogans on Windows only in the past)...but NEVER on a mac. I've had my mac for 3 1/2 years with nothing and it works as good as the day I bought it.

You wouldn't get anything anyway, but if you want to be really careful, just do as Knackers said and don't download e-mail or programs from unknown sources.

If you still want to use antivirus software, go ahead but it's a complete waste of time. And if you're paying for antivirus on a Mac, you're throwing your money directly into the garbage. Put it this way, if there ever is a virus on a mac, your virus protection won't work anyway when it first comes out because the authors will have to patch it first.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is exactly what I mean about so many threads on this issue. It seems there's one or more new threads on it every day, all with the same conclusion. Here's another one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6944844

Taking a page out of the "MacRumors: Forums for Dummies" book: search the forums!

13. chatoyer macrumors regular

Sometimes it's not that simple. I use in a Mac in a corporate environment that is predominantly Windoze. My IT support guys are adamant that, in 2009, they want to put some form of anti-V on this system because corporate policy states that all machines must have virus protection. (Corporate policy also states lots of other things re: not giving users administrative/root access, etc., by our IT guys have been exceptionally nice with me and let me do my own thing with this Mac.)

So, I'm staring at the reality that sometime this year I'll need to put something on, and everyone acknowledges that it will predominantly be done to protect Windoze users from getting Windoze viri passed along by me, the Mac user. It's silly, don't get me wrong, but corporate policy sometimes exists to protect the lowest common denominator.

14. miamiracing macrumors 6502

hmm thats why there are over 100 viruses out for mac :rolleyes:

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Name just one. ONE.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Actually add TWELVE-THOUSAND hits to that and more.
    http://www.google.com/search?client...s site:forums.macrumors.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Some articles of interest

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

Security in Snow Leopard
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/16/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_security.html

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

All of those are over 10 years old and have no effect on Mac OS X. They only effected Mac OS 9 and earlier.

In fact I think most of them were for System 6 / System 7.

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The thing I don't like about iAntivirus is that it doesn't check for any Windows viruses. Since I work in a complete Windows environment, it'd be helpful to know that I'm not passing anything along with my Mac.

19. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use ClamXav then.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I do, with folder sentry on my downloads folder.

21. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I use ClamXav because I run Boot Camp and want to make sure nothing sneaks on there. I do have NOD32 on Windows, but sometimes viruses will target antivirus apps specifically and prevent them from picking up on the fact that the system has been compromised. This is of particular concern since I use MacDrive and Windows viruses could potentially attack my Mac partitions as well. They wouldn't target ClamXav, so I like having the extra protection. It's also handy when downloading or sending Windows files. Just because you have the app installed doesn't mean you have to leave it running all the time, but it's nice to have on hand sometimes.

22. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I don't know, I never played with the settings a lot. I think it's designed to be a totally automatic thing. You may ask in their forum if you want.

It's a mediocre windows av. It's only good as an on demand scanner, using it's folder sentry makes a notable slow down.

http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/ Total: 90
    Remove the OS classic threats and the EICAR test file...

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

And how many of those are actually viruses, you know, ones that you get (without giving it your admin password), it does its damage, and sends itself to others?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That list is completely bogus! The list mostly consists of freeware applications which you would have to download and install, proof-of-concept applications which are not in the wild, iAntiVirus processes that it uses to detect threats, trojan horses that you would have to install, and malware threats that have no effect on current releases of Mac OS X. There is NOT ONE VIRUS on the list that exists in the wild that can affect Mac OS X.

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

And my post still stands.