Who's using the Wood Keyboard on your MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chefwong, Jan 16, 2014.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

So I installed the wood keyboard on my MBP Retina.
    Just finished a short bit ago.

Surprisingly, it feels good on the fingers.
    NOT so sure on long term ....as even though the keys are *laser cut* for the backlit keys, it's useless as you have to be looking at them dead on straight from top in order to see the keys. Not a major issue I suppose, if one knows how to type ;-)

I'll give it a couple days before I decide it stays or I rip it off. Whatever 3M tape adhesive they use, it's pretty sticky....

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I would be concerned about the keys rubbing against the glass. That already happens with the regular keyboard.

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

I know it's coming up.

Just typing on it, it's annoying. No the feel.
    I can type just fine without looking at the keyboard.
    However, maybe it's just after so many years of looking at a black chicklet with white letters...

I hardly even use the backlit. It's rare but maybe once out of 6 months, I might turn on the backlit if I'm using it in the dark.

But when I look at the keyboard now, in it's usual position, obviously facing/looking at the keys more at a 45-50 degree angle, all the keys just look like 1 bib blob of wood chicklets.

In direct light, sunlight, I don't think it would annoy me as much.
    But in a dimly lit room, where I don't even normally use the backlit, but I can see white characters against black....it's one blob of wood and you can't just visually see the characters.

I dunno. Maybe it's just a change I'm just not quite accustomed to.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I never cared for the backlight. One third of what is written on my keyboard isn't even true with my keyboard mapping. As long as F and J have the little knob I am fine, backlight is for noobs.

Like the other poster I would worry more about the height. Seems quite thick and there isn't much room on those notebooks to the display. May not damage the display but all the grease from the fingers ands up spreading to the display when closed. That would be my primary worry.