Who's waiting for the second gen version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoganT, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. LoganT macrumors 68020

    Jan 9, 2007
    I actually do think the iPhone is very nice. But I think it would be better to wait for the second gen version as it might fix some of the shortcomings the iPhone has now.
  2. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Yes, but more for cost reasons...I can't justify the price, and am sure that the next/another version will be cheaper :)

    Just like the iPod cycle...
  3. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

    Jan 9, 2007
    Same with me. I just bought a BB Pearl in January so I'm waiting until my contact ends in June of 2008 to get an iPhone.
  4. kdarling macrumors demi-god


    Jun 9, 2007
    First university coding class = 47 years ago
    If I weren't surrounded by touchscreen handhelds and phones as my job every day, I'd get one right away.

    But I know how quickly the glitz can wear off, and then you want more and more capabilities.

    So I'm waiting for the less expensive next gen, which is rumored out in the Fall.

    The iPhone launch is no different than when we bought one of the earliest VCRs at $1200. Or the first microwaves at the same high price. Or LCD monitors. Or you name it.

    Every company skims the cream of the customers off the top first :)
  5. neven macrumors 6502a

    Oct 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Better yet, wait for the 16th version that will fix all the shortcomings of versions 1 - 15.
  6. mattscott306 macrumors 68040


    Jan 16, 2007
    I'm likewise waiting on a price decrease. If they released the iPhone at 399 or so then I'd buy the first go around. I'm definitely excited about the technology, and If I come into some money I'll be purchasing one.
  7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I hear you...

    I am so torn over the iPhone already. The 1G iPhone leaves me wanting for what appears to the lack of easy battery replacement. Also for the apparent lack of GPS cabailities, and for basic PDA capabilities.

    As for 2G iPhone, I doubt that it would be this fall, except if it were an iPhone Nano - smaller, no web function, and less memory. Also keep in mind the keynote address that mentioned the sale of 10 million iPhones by the end of 2008. I would expect that 1stGen will be the staple of the iPhone line up till at least then.

    Now whether Apple follows in its own various footsteps in their other product categories is the big question. Will the 1G iPhone see an early/mid next year a memory update without a real version upgrade? Or will the iPhone be treated more like the iPods?
  8. ichris2 macrumors member

    Jun 20, 2007
    Apple Life spans

    I'm going to buy a 1st Gen iphone because I really, really want one...If the next version is super duper kick ass I'll think about getting a new one...I've been using a Power Mac G4 and Power Book Mac G4 for about 4 years and although I'd love to upgrade these units they are still functioning perfectly on OX 10.4.10. so I think the iphone will continue to get software upgrades and get better and better and until they have new hardware that I think I have to have then I'll stick with the 1st gen.

    Apple has always been good about making sure software upgrades are backwards compatible with older hardware.
  9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I understand.... I just went to the MacBook myself hoping to eek out some productivity with some software - including Leopard - I was tempted to just buy the Tiger update for my PB 12". But the VRAM was less than some of the software I wanted to run was able to handle. I am hoping that Leopard does not stretch those too far....

    But I see the hand writing on the wall... that come the first of the New Year, that the iPhone's we buy on 6-29 will require Leopard in order to gain access to "secrete features"....
  10. steve jr. macrumors 6502

    Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Well, I think I will do what I did when I got my MBP. I really wanted a PB, but then they came out with the MBP's. But it was rumored that the C2D's were going to be along "any Tuesday now" so I waited (and waited). And I am glad I did. I have the new intel processor and all the buggs were worked out from the Intel transition. If the price is right ($499 or less for the 8 gig or max at that time), I'll get the next rev, but it has to have 3G to keep up with the times. But until then, I can't wait to get my hands on one to play with LAUNCH DAY! :D
  11. Grimace macrumors 68040


    Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I don't think we'll see a price drop before the holiday season is over. Too much money to be had there. Maybe next Jan/Feb at the earliest.
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I am willing to wait. But my contract with Sprint was up last month. I hate them from missed calls - I get a call from my job, only to get a voice mail or missed call in my call log hours later. Also my Treo 650 is on its lasts legs. I need a new phone.

    I am one of those that has forsaken a landline for a cell phone line (it is a matter of economics - as well as my desire not to tied to waiting by my home phone for phone calls or messages). I also like the idea that I have been able to port the same number for the past 13+ years.

    This can be a blessing and a curse. If only the "Do Not Call List" allowed for blocking of non-profits and political calls.... Though it beats keeping very casual friends up to date with my latest phone number.

    I agree that the official 3G support is keeping me at bay with the iPhone. Along with the lack of GPS support. And that the Edge is so much slower than EV-D0...
  13. surefire09 macrumors member

    Jun 10, 2007
    of course i will with apple's trend in releasing products that suck at first but if apple doesnt come out with something within a year then i'll buy it :D
  14. Gonzlobo Suspended

    May 9, 2007
    That should elate the folks that want to pay as much as possible.
  15. Nayrb macrumors member

    Apr 17, 2007
    As cool as 1G looks, the 8GB size just is far from justifying the price. I'll probably hold off until there is at least 30GB of space if not more / my current iPod dies / my contract ends with verizon (not that I keep track since I don't pay the bill). It has a lot of cool stuff and I can't wait to get one, but I still have a lingering grudge with the leopard delay.
  16. Yamisky0 macrumors member

    May 17, 2007
    I am waiting. Moreso because my mom will not allow me to buy the first gen, plus, I bought a Chocolate back in September of last year. If the new gen comes early next year, I'll probably buy in, as by then I will be fully converted to Macs, and also, Verizon normally offers a pretty cheap cancellation fee after the first year of the contract, so it will be much easier to switch, plus, 8 gigs just doesn't cut it for me.
  17. marksman macrumors 603


    Jun 4, 2007
    Do people really think the 2nd generation iPhone will be out 3-4 months after the 1st generation comes out?
  18. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

    Jan 9, 2007
    It's not that uncommon.
  19. walangij macrumors 6502

    Mar 10, 2007
    No. If anything it may be a very minor upgrade in memory or battery capacity. It'll be fun seeing every few months a topic like "Buy iPhone now or wait till revision?".

    What other people have said are probably correct, no minor revision at least till after Christmas unless they can run out of their supplies and quietly produce upgraded ones. I think we're more likely to see upgrades in the future come out with marketing campaigns and the such as surprises instead of at Keynotes. After a keynote on a new iPhone no one will go out and buy an old one w/ a contract. More likely it'll just come out, ads will announce it, and we'll have a new phone on the market immediately.

    I think the waiting game is not a fun game to play because ultimately you'll lose. If you need it now then buy. If you can wait, then wait till the new one comes out and purchase the 1st day. Ultimately, when I see people wait, they are always paranoid of an upgrade, which makes them enjoy what they purchased less. Just because a new one comes out doesn't mean that the one your purchased is all of a sudden worthless or unusable. I see this kind of waiting game all the time in the realm of DSLRs which have 18-24 month cycles.

    A major one upgrade is certain at the end of 2008 unless the lag time of the iPhone's technology causes people to ignore purchasing it which will create pressure on Apple to at least release the all hailed 3G, increased memory in a years time. What I see happening is instead of constant iPhone revisions happening are, like others have said, smaller less functional iPhone types coming out to satisfy the market in due time.
  20. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

    Dec 1, 2003
    You have to keep in mind that some countries won't be getting the iPhone until 2008 and beyond.
  21. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002
    I must wait until December to decide as that is when the iPhone is going to be released in Japan. Right now, I am considering purchasing version A. But will wait and see how the US version works out.

    As for updates, my guess is that like the early iPod, the iPhone will get a memory bump before much else is changed. I would expect a memory upgrade around 4-6 months from now to something like 8GB and 16GB models. Price points will be similar to $100 less for each model.
  22. mcarnes macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2004
    USA! USA!
    Done. Thanks man you saved me a LOT of money.
  23. MeekB2G macrumors newbie


    Apr 17, 2007
    Anaheim, California
    I'm gonna wait for the 2nd Gen. The iPhone is a beautiful device and I would love to run out and get it on launch, but I've had Cingular/At&t for about 5 years now and I can tell you that the EDGE internet SUCKS, well atleast on the cingular 8125 it does. And I have 4 bars in my area...Once a 3G version of iPhone is released, i'll be first in line release day. Until then i'll be in At&t/Apple stores playing with the 1st Gen iPhone...:)

    That would be cool if :apple: did a phone for Helio...I've been looking into switching to their service. With the Unlimited features on a 3G network.
  24. poppe macrumors 68020


    Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    I was going to wait.. the new guide though is making me think very different.
  25. kamiboy macrumors 6502

    May 18, 2007
    I'm proudly going to wait for teh next version, while fully enjoying my first version. Life sucks too much to wait a whole year for a gadget to become a little better.

Share This Page