Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
This show is hilarious!

PUSHING DAISIES
This romantic drama shows us the strange world of a man, Ned, who can bring dead people back to life through the power of his touch. The people he touches, however, can only stay alive for one minute, and if they don't die again, someone else nearby will die. Ned decides to use his ability to solve crime. He and a local investigator, Emerson, bring murder victims back to life and find out who killed them, to cash in on case-solving rewards. But, when Ned brings an old crush back to life, and decides to let her live, things start to get complicated...

The show is created by Bryan Fuller, who has brought us sci-fi series such as Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me. The series is said to share some aspects of Fuller's previous shows, with quick witted comedy mixed with darker emotions and drama. The main plot about life and death is also akin to Dead Like Me.

The show is still in pre-production, and will, if it is picked up, air on ABC. Lee Pace will star as Ned and Chi McBride as his colleague Emerson. Anna Friel will star as Charlotte "Chuck" Charles, Kristin Chenoweth as Olive, Swoosie Kurtz as Lily and Ellen Green as a, so far, unnamed character. The cast will be joined by Jim Dale as the narrator. Lee Pace has previously worked with creator Bryan Fuller on Wonderfalls.
My friend and I are watching this show, wondering if they can keep up the quality. As a Harry Potter fan, I love that the show is narrator by Jim Dale, who narrates all the Harry Potter books. Chi McBride is hilarious in this. From what I've heard, the director has directed 6 episodes, and everyone who watches the show is on pins and needles that it might be cancelled.

After laughing my ass off tonight, I went to the website, which is a really really well done interactive activity done in Flash.

PROMO WEBSITE
http://www.plantadaisy.com/
OFFICIAL WEBSITE
http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index

The website asks:
If you could bring someone back to life for 60 seconds,
who would it be? --And what would you ask?

I found myself putting in a fairly personal answer on the flower petal, before watching it blow away into a field of other answers, pictured quite cleverly as daisies.

I also found the comics on their website well-done.
http://abc.go.com/primetime/pushingdaisies/index?pn=comic

Excellent series! Anyone else watching this?

Reviews:
~ CB

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Just watched the show I am happy that abc has their shows online for free so its nice if I miss it sometime.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
It looked pretty odd, but I've heard good things. Perhaps I should give it a shot.

jasylonian

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
sacramento
i absolutely adore this show. i think it's one of the most creative shows to hit the air in a while. i'd be pretty sad if it somehow flopped, but then again, a lot of shows that i watch have flopped (joan of arcadia, ed, etc...).

mpr131

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Washington, DC
I've caught only the first ten minutes of this show the past two weeks and I swear it was the same first ten minutes on both episodes. Does it always start the same way??? Maybe I need to invest more time in it...

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I watched the first episode and I thought I liked it, but by time I got 40 minutes in I had to change the channel, just couldn't get into it.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I've caught only the first ten minutes of this show the past two weeks and I swear it was the same first ten minutes on both episodes. Does it always start the same way??? Maybe I need to invest more time in it...

They always start ofo with a recap kind of thing so people know what the show is about. I think its there just because its new and after a while they should get rid of the it, hopefully.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I watched the first episode. ...Very strange indeed.

Very weird how some things are perfectly modern and some scenes portray a more expressionistic and gothic era. ...similar to the visual motifs in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Although, I've missed several episodes since the pilot, and don't really have the incentive to tune again.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Very weird how some things are perfectly modern and some scenes portray a more expressionistic and gothic era. ...similar to the visual motifs in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Although, I've missed several episodes since the pilot, and don't really have the incentive to tune again.

I would have compared the feeling with a Roald Dahl children's story more than the Lemony Snicket series, but I see your point.

We missed this week's episode (but will catch up thanks to ABC's well done online viewing option), but have been trying to watch it. I think that while the overall story arc may make things a little confusing, the episodes are self-contained enough that you wouldn't do too bad just picking it up again. It really is a good show - this and Chuck are the only new shows that the wife and I are sticking with this season.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I saw it for the first time last night (well, I saw part of it last night). But I saw enough to know that I want to go back and watch the earlier episodes.

Sadly, this seems like the kind of show that is destined to be cancelled. :(

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I can't catch the show....everytime its on I'm working or I forget...oh well it looks interesting.

Bless

Abc has some of their shows online. So if you want you could check the OP for the links

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
This show is still firing on all cylinders! This has got to be the first show I've run into that has me entirely unable to predict what they'll do next... yet each episode is self-enclosed, while also being part of a large "story arc".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushing_Daisies

Episode 6 will be airing in two weeks, and seems like it will be a scandolous one. I can't imagine it ending well (and very appropriately named I think...).

~ CB

Sayewhat

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I would watch it on ABC.com, but when I go there, it tells me that I'm not in the US, so I can't watch, even though I'm sitting here in North Carolina.:(

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Hey, I just noticed Pushing Daisies got picked up for a full season!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3id739a8fbebc200018628e482d29cb24e

It's still gotta be the best show on television. No other show has me laugh out loud as often at its rapier wit or sit back utterly fascinated with every second of its gorgeous cinematography. Ellen Greene, who played "Audrey" in Lil Shop of Horrors sang an excellent rendition of "Morning has Broken" in the 11/21 show "Smell of Success". I don't even like shows with singing (not that it happens often in this one), though that episode of "Scrubs" was utterly hilarious.

The character Olive Snook (played by Kristin Chenoweth) is hammering away at my senses though. As a character whose love is being constantly shunned, you could almost sware she'd transform into an ogre at some point, but she remains this beaming ray of sunshine. There's a conversation she has with Ned (played by Lee Pace) a few episodes back, where she turns around at the door and says with a smile that lights up the whole room, "I just want you to be happy!" I dunno, but even though she wasn't talking to me her delivery just made me feel happy to be alive (which kind of scares me to think what she could hypnotize me into in person).

Oh yeah... and she's just hot as HELL! :eek:

glinda2_4.jpg
glinda3_3.jpg
glinda_5.jpg

A TV Squad article commented that fans of the show must be eating her up by the amount of screen-time she got in the latest episode. The fact that I didn't notice this probably says something about how seamless things are going.

I'm a little frightened of myself when I watch this show though. A 3 o'clock in the morning, when I laugh out loud and slam my desk repeatedly with the flat of my hand, methinks the little old lady living one floor up is wondering if I'm some kind of mad scientist or something.

If this show doesn't win an Emmy, there's just no justice in the world.

~ CB

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
I wasn't impressed with the tv spots for this show so I never watched it until my sister asked if I had ever watched it and said she thought I would like the main female character. I did watch part of the latest episode and like it enough to download the pie-lette. I ended up watching episodes 1-7 in a couple days. I enjoy the show a lot and hope it doesn't get canceled

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I'm also enjoying it. I just noticed that wikipedia says that the 9th episode may be the last of the season due to the strike. That's a shame, I hope it either continues if the strike ends soon, or comes back once it is over. :(

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I'm also enjoying it. I just noticed that wikipedia says that the 9th episode may be the last of the season due to the strike. That's a shame, I hope it either continues if the strike ends soon, or comes back once it is over. :(
Crap, that's right... I keep forgetting that a mid-season pickup means nothing with the strike going on, and all of that waiting for Lost will likely be repaid with half a season and a choice selection cross words.

Le Sigh.

~ CB

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
This show is Tim Burton-esque but girly. Maybe a little
too girly. And some of the episodes come off the same.
But, my wife and I will continue to watch. This is one
of the better new shows on TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.