iPhone XR Whose getting the iPhone XR?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davidhedge, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Davidhedge macrumors member

Whose getting the iPhone XR and why? I think it’s a pretty awesome device I just wish they could have made the display 1080p.

2. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

I might pick one up in blue.
    But will still keep my iPhone X’s max

3. gurase macrumors 6502

I plan on getting one. Battery life, price, new camera sensor. I currently have a 6S+.

4. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

I currently plan on getting one, but it depends how it actually looks and feels when I can try one in an Apple store, there’s a risk it will be just too big for me, coming from a 6S. At least the screen won’t be a downgrade for me!

5. keeper macrumors 6502

It’s on my list, good spec OK price to upgrade storage, it’s the right price range for a premium phone, the other models are over priced and were released early to stop early buyers seeing the XR.

At the end of the day it’s just a phone.

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

720p and above is perfectly fine by me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Both the iPhone 7 & 8 have ‘Retina Displays’ with the same 326 PPI as the iPhone XR does. Nobody really complains about the displays on those phones except for spec sheet geeks.

Hell, I wish could drop the resolution on my 8+ from 1080p down to 828p, in order gain an additional 1.5 hours of battery life like the XR has.

7. Jessica08 macrumors 6502

Jessica08

I’m coming from a 6S and I just don’t know which to get. I for sure thought I would upgrade with the XR, but I keep looking at the XS and thinking I should go with that one. I keep my phones for 2-3 years normally, so I’m thinking the XS might be worth the extra money in the long run.

8. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I’m kinda surprised they are launching the XR after the XS and XS Max.

9. john g. macrumors member

john g.

10. profets macrumors 601

I'm going to be getting one for my wife when it launches. Surprisingly she's turned off by the colours and wants the white model. I'd totally go for blue myself if I was upgrading.

All in all I think the XR is an excellent option and is going to sell quite well.

11. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Not entirely sure yet, waiting for reviews. But probably yes, I'll be getting one. I really just wish it were iPhone Xs in terms of size. But I am having trouble justifying an extra $250 to make my phone a bit smaller.

12. CrazyForCashews macrumors regular

You're better off buying a X then a XR IMO.

Seems like a much better value if you get a good deal on it (which you can considering the second-hand market).

13. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I have a 7+ and I fully agree with this comment.

14. dawesie1 macrumors regular

Considered it but it is too big. X/XS is the ideal size so I am a tad frustrated about the size of the xr as I was looking forward to an upgrade from my 6 at a lower price.

As a result, I am still deciding between the x and xs.

15. Davidhedge thread starter macrumors member

People like cheaper prices. If Apple dropped the XR alongside with the XS and XS Max the sales probably would have suffered greatly.

16. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

The XR is expected to seize between 50 and 55 percent of the total unit sales of iPhones this calendar year. So you and a few other people are getting one.

XR = Reasonable
    XS = Stupid / Max Stupid

17. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

Why? IF all 3 had been available at launch, many buyers would have gone for the XR to save some money. Once they have given people a chance at the more expensive phones, then they will bring in the cheaper XR. Same reason they don’t offer product red at launch. More sales down the line once the hype has died down.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2018 ---
    So because someone can’t afford an xs/max, the prices are stupid?

18. Haemorrhage macrumors member

Haemorrhage

Who's

19. ericg301 macrumors 65816

honest question - without snark - can one really tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a phone-sized screen?

20. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure some people can. I personally can’t, at the distance I usually hold the phone. If I look closer, then yes I can see the difference.

21. profets macrumors 601

Really depends on what you're looking for:

X - stainless steel build, OLED screen with higher PPI, telephoto lens

XR - colourful options, A12 SoC, improved camera, larger display / increased screen real estate

22. ooloo macrumors member

ooloo

720? which hypothetical phone are you talking about?

23. profets macrumors 601

Technically it's an 828p screen. But anyway, it's the same 326ppi that has been used since the iPhone 4 (up through the iPhone 8). Comparing the 326ppi display to the 401ppi display from a Plus iPhone you can start to discern pixels when looking up close at the 326ppi display. Let's be honest though, the majority of people buying the XR will not realize the difference, let alone understand what it even means. Also can't discount how good the other metrics for the LCD displays Apple uses are - wide colour gamut, accuracy, tru tone, etc.

24. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

Same thing was aid last year but in reverse. Apple relaeased the 8 and 8plus and later launched the x.

And this year they released the iPhone X’s and max and later they will release the xr.

25. Alphazoid, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

This is why i'm not getting it. In 2018 its just not acceptable to me.

326 PPI on a 4.7" screen is markedly different experience to a 5.5" or 6.1" screen

No offense but i'm glad you don't run Apple.