Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going M1 Air or Pro?

• Base M1 Air

Votes: 143 27.9%
  • Higher end M1 Air (16gb)

Votes: 195 38.0%
  • Base M1 Pro

Votes: 57 11.1%
  • Higher end Pro (16gb)

Votes: 90 17.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 5.5%

• Total voters

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I went with the 16GB Air. I toyed with the idea of the 8GB Air, but this is a keeper, and I expect RAM needs will increase over the next few years.
yep and agreed! Although 8gb ram is likely enough, can't have too much... I had 16 in my old pro and always worked beautifully. So far this Air is amazing!

Reactions: KPOM

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Do you find the screen lacking? Do you wish it was brighter?
no, screen is great, likely because I did not have it on dark mode at first.. which is what I am used to. Having used it several hours its impressive, the colors, the brightness, the speed. and glad to be rid of that MBP awful shape :/

Reactions: KPOM

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
I ordered the base m1 pro on November 20 but ended up canceling just now and going with the base air instead. Both have same chip so not much of a difference and never used the Touch Bar with my previous MacBook Pro. The date didn’t change much dec 1-8 to dec 2-9.

Reactions: kp98077

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I'm a logo and packaging/label designer using a 2018 2.3ghz 13" macbook pro with 8gb of rams. It has worked fine. I always loved the air form factor since day one it launched but can't use it since the screen didn't have a good wide color gamut like the pro. It's now different with the m1 air since the color quality now is the same as the pro, and for my usage (adobe illustrator and photoshop.) it works fine.

So, the base air is perfect for me.

Reactions: kp98077

kp98077

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
I swear I have been on this thing for hours, battery started at 98% and now is 85%, not bad......
its great also, how my wrist are no longer hurting anyone!! ;)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Ditching a MBP 2013 15" for a base Air... but only until the 16 comes out. The wife gets the base Air when that happens. That's why I got the base, she doesn't need anything more than that and everything will be faster than what my current machine can do.

I'll get a 1TB 16G ram 16 I'll imagine. 32 will be crazy expensive. Hopefully Apple will start the 16" at 16GR... Ha! We all know that won't happen!!!

consumeritis

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
I'm a C++ developer and have been using a 2015 MBP 13" as my main machine. I have tended to buy the best machine I can get and hold onto them for a long time. I am typing this from my 2010 Air!

Initially I thought I would need the extra performance of the Pro, or that I would be better off waiting until next year's higher-end models, but after seeing the benchmarks and early reviews I ended up ordering an upgraded Air.

My reasons:

• The Air reportedly throttles, but only after many minutes. Before that, the machines are equivalent.
  • The performance loss from throttling is definitely noticeable but not completely horrendous.
  • From benchmarks, the Air is still 3x faster and the screen still brighter than my 2015 Pro.
  • If I'm not going to get support for 4 ports and 2 external monitors I may as well have more portability.
  • I have never used a Touch Bar and I'm not super keen on the idea, to be honest.
I'm still waiting in the queue so who knows if I'll regret it or not, it was a bit of an impulse purchase. I have been waiting for a high-end ARM laptop for decades now, so I couldn't resist. I'm sure when the 4-port Pro arrives next year and is twice as fast I'll have a bit of buyer's remorse, but that machine will surely also be substantially more expensive!

The reports about compilation times on the M1 have me very excited to check it out myself. :-D

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I’m still torn..

16/512 Air or 16/512 Pro?
I’m gonna keep this thing hooked up to an external ultra wide monitor 80% of the time and it is to be my main working computer for at least the next 4 years.

I ordered the pro and it arrives tomorrow. Made a order for the air yesterday (just in case) and it arrives mid December.

Really unsure what to do

wrsni

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
Base Pro for me.

Struggled for a while being new to Apple but once I got to grips with things it was a no-brainer.

Looked long and hard at Mac Mini, but the Pro is both a Macbook and a Mac Mini (admittedly with fewer ports but an adapter sorted that out) so once I'd figured it out that way it was simple, the Pro is both.

I've also an external monitor, magic mouse, and magic keyboard coming today, so my Macbook will also form the basis of a desktop set-up, which I haven't had for a few years, and if I'm happy enough with the Apple life the next move will probably be the next variant of Mac Mini to make the desktop set-up more permanent.

So that's why I went with the base Pro, foregoing a RAM and storage upgrade which I may not even need has bought me a mouse, keyboard, and monitor, and if it get to the stage that the Pro is lacking a wee bit, then that'll be the time for an upgraded Mini which will use the peripherals I've bought instead and the Pro will still be well capable of laptop duties for many years to come.

Also, it'll be used outside a bit (for scanning sheep as it happens!) and the extra screen brightness will be very desirable.

Also, I shouldn't need an external mic.

Also, external speakers are supposed to be better.

Also, extra battery life may be useful, see sheep scanning point.

Also, from what I've seen of the touchbar so far, I think I might like it.

Also, first Apple product so wanted to give it a decent chance.

Looking forward to getting it now.

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Went with the "high end" 8/8 Air, with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

I have an 1TB SSD on my current 13" MBP (2019 with 2 TB ports), and didn't want to go smaller than that (even though I still have some room left on that). I like having my (quite large) Photos library locally, and not only in iCloud.

Reactions: nameste

nameste

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2016
Went with the "high end" 8/8 Air, with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

I have an 1TB SSD on my current 13" MBP (2019 with 2 TB ports), and didn't want to go smaller than that (even though I still have some room left on that). I like having my (quite large) Photos library locally, and not only in iCloud.
Did you receive your device?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Got my air today and still setting it up but no regrets on the air. Really couldn’t justify the extra price for the pro model

nightkiller

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Went with the Base M1 13 Pro with 8gb ram and 256 SSD.

Previous unit was an early 2015 MBP 13inch with 16gb ram and 512gb SSD.

The performance of the new m1 chip is blazing fast even with just 8gb ram. I play quite a bit of dota2, very happy with its fps on 3/4 Best Looking Setting, averaging 70fps. Opening Excel files seem instantaneous whereas my old 2015 MBP 13inch is kinda sluggish. Outlook performs much much better on the M1 as well. Surfing net on the safari is fast and snappy. Very satisfied with this m1 base pro purchase.

Reactions: OdT22 and wrsni

kamikazeeMC

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2017
Perth, Western Australia
I got impulsive on launch day and only the Air with 16GB/1TB was available to walk in and pick up, so I went with that and placed my order that morning. I watched some early reviews on my breaks which reinforced my decision to go with the Air.

Ill pick up some photo and video editing later, and the Air and Pro perform the same in the editing stage, I won't have a big enough project to need the higher sustained performance rendering out on the Pro.

While there was only a 350 difference for the Pro with same ram and storage, it didn't really add anything for my use and in the end it's still 350 saved. Though you could argue I would prob be fine with a base model Pro for less, but I wanted the extra ram and storage. I like the gold of the Air, sight slope of the keyboard, impartial to the Touch Bar and I like the fanless design. Because I use it on a bed at times, not worrying about the sheets blocking the vent or sucking in dust is a bonus.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I think because Macbooks cost 30% more in the UK. In the US it sells for 999 USD. In the UK 999 Pounds.

In the UK retailers have to quote prices including VAT of 20%. In the US the norm is to quote prices excluding Sales Tax that varies state to state. So for a true comparison the UK price is GBP 832.50 vs $999. At current exchange rate the US price would be GBP 747.04, so the UK has a premium of GBP 85.46 or 11%

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
In the UK retailers have to quote prices including VAT of 20%. In the US the norm is to quote prices excluding Sales Tax that varies state to state. So for a true comparison the UK price is GBP 832.50 vs $999. At current exchange rate the US price would be GBP 747.04, so the UK has a premium of GBP 85.46 or 11%

Ahhh ok gotcha. ?

Reactions: James_C

Hiredgoon6

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
I have both Air and Pro on hand and will say the keyboard on the pro is noticeably snappier. It has a crisper pressure point while the Air's feels mushier. Has anyone else noticed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.