Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinkokoro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Hey guys! i'm sorta computerless right now. I was going to get a MBP so I can game a little, but it's too spendy. I'd have to get the mid range one and it's like $1000 more, so I'm curious if you think I could use it as my primary computer without any issues? do you know anyone who does this?

Thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Plenty of people, including myself, do this. As long as you don't game much, or use heavy duty apps, its great :)

xpovos

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Are you asking about using a regular MacBook, or a MBP, as your only computer? I tried using a black MacBook as my only computer for a few weeks (after having returned yet another defective MacBook Pro) and wasn't satisfied because of the cramped screen resolution. (I use CS3 and FCE a lot.) Also, you mentioned gaming, and the MB is far less capable than the MBP because of its integrated graphics.

The MBP, on the other hand, can quite nicely be used as one's only computer.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
You could always pick up an external monitor and keyboard/mouse, and you've got yourself a desktop.

nines

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
I'd recommend to ZEN-style brood for a week and decide a few rather important things...
I. Do you really need a Notebook?
For about 1200$ you could get a decent PC Desktop with these or higher stats -> 2.66GHz/2GB 800MHz CL5 RAM/nvidia 8800GTS 640MB <- what would be very useable for gaming 'a little'. ;)

II. Are you going to use Mac OS X at all?
Important question to ask yourself since especially the operating system is the very reason to get an Apple computer. If your gaming times in Windows via Bootcamp overweight - you never needed a Mac.​

III. Finally if you have researched and brooded enough and find yourself bleary-eyed staring at the ready configured MBP in the Apple Online Store for the 247th time with a nervous finger to send the order...
You should ask yourself why you actually need the mid-range 15.4'' MBP and consider that the 128MB VRAM won't ever justify the much higher price, especially if you keep in mind that the 8600m GT is only running at useable clockspeeds in the 17'' MBP anyways.​

Whatever - if you can live with a more easy-going gaming experience and you don't need all settings maxed out there won't be another 15.4'' notebook performing better then the MBP while still being a high quality system at the same time.

MBP 2.2GHz/8600m GT 128MB​

Doom 3
Low: 169fps​
Ultra: 92fps​

F.E.A.R.
min/min: 222fps​
med/med: 112fps​
max/max: 36fps​

3DMark: 2809 points

World in Conflict is running stable at 1024x768 under Windows via Bootcamp.

Here is what convinced me to choose a MBP as my single primary computer for work AND gaming -> Oblivion.

Personally I still didn't order it though and hope for a tiny boost until Christmas :p

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Definitely. The screen is perhaps a little small for some people, but you could always have an external monitor on your desk at home, like jackc said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.