Whrrl 3 vs Foursquare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmize31287, Jun 19, 2010.

1. dmize31287 macrumors regular

In your opinion, which is better? Whrrl 3 or FourSquare.

Trying to con my friends into getting one of them with their iphones since we go to bars and restaurants regularly around Philadelphia.

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

3. dmize31287 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? I tried it on the iPad I had, but it may be better on the iPhone. What are the perks of it?

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

what initially got me was I didn't have to have the address. FourSquare has since resolved that.

But the database seems to be cleaner. Business data seems to be well maintained.

Also, finding items and collecting them is fun.

5. dmize31287 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good, I'll preload it on my itunes for when I connect. Thing that got me interested in whrrl (and I did actually forget about gowalla) was it apparently overhauled its issues and UI for 3, now its the top out of the bunch in the app store.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ah, that was really the only thing I liked about gowalla and honestly, I think it would have been better if people didn't collect them but picked them up and dropped them off somewhere else (kinda like geocaching). It was fun seeing where an object you picked up came from. But most of hte time it was boring stuff that hadn't really gone anywhere cause everyone just keeps what they find.

7. dmize31287 thread starter macrumors regular

So which one do you prefer? I wish I could swap this to a poll, wasn't thinking right I guess. lol

8. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, I mostly use Foursquare cuase it has the bonus of if you are a repeat enough you become "mayor". I really liked the idea of geocaching (taking those items you find, dropping them elsewhere, picking new items) on Gowalla until I realized:

1. Not enough people use gowalla so items stay in the same spot forever.

2. And the ones that do treat it more like a collector's game. If an item even manages to go very far, it ends up being collected soon enough (I admit I have an item or two that actually has gone far that I'm waiting for me to be far away so it can go even farther). I wish they'd let you tag an item as uncollectable or evne with a note (this item wants to go to *location*).

It's too bad cause they have the functionality there that you can see where an item has been and if you remember the item's number, you can even track where it gets picked up and dropped off next.

9. dmize31287 thread starter macrumors regular

A friend of mine that works at a apple store uses it, but I'm looking for the more popular and better overall experience. I noticed his twitter always says "checked in - foursquare".

The geocaching Idea is pretty sick, I'd leave some "goodies" on the middle of the turnpike. :p

10. TLewis macrumors 65816

I don't get the appeal of this. If I used 4sq, I'd probably end up being mayor of Taco Bell, Burger King, or some noodle palace. I'd get sooo much **** from my friends. no, ty. :eek: :p

My friends and I actually like loopt, but we're probably weird. :cool: