WHS functionality with Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmpage2, Mar 8, 2009.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm getting ready to make the jump to Mac, but have a few questions I'm hoping some of the folks here can help with.

Currently I have a variety of Windows computers and am using WHS (Windows Home Server) to back all of these computers up and to provide file sharing and media sharing services.

I can see that the new HP MediaSmart EX485 has some Mac software included in it that gives limited Time Machine functionality on the Mac to the WHS as well as the ability to see all of the WHS shares.

Is there any way to get this capability with a generic WHS machine?

More basic question, can I map out the SMB shares on the WHS to a Mac? I would want to keep my music, for example, on the WHS and point to it with iTunes on a Mac (I would keep the iTunes database on the Mac local hard drive but want to keep all of the files on the server).

Is there any way of getting some basic Time Machine functionality by pointing a Mac at a WHS box?

Any help is always appreciated. If all else fails I can sell my home brew WHS box and buy the Media smart since it has the functionality included, but I'd prefer if I did not have to go that route.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Windows networking, but Macs do support SMB.

3. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Anyone here running with the EX485 HP box for time machine and file sharing on their Mac?