Wht to expect from Tiger!!??

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi,

I know theres plenty to look forward to in Tiger like Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator, Core Image/ Video e.t.c, but do you reckon there will be any nifty surprises like a new GUI to replace Aqua or any really amzing OS advances.

Anyone forsee something revolutionary?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
gangst said:
Hi,

I know theres plenty to look forward to in Tiger like Spotlight, Dashboard, Automator, Core Image/ Video e.t.c, but do you reckon there will be any nifty surprises like a new GUI to replace Aqua or any really amzing OS advances.

The feature set has been frozen for months. It's rather difficult to just pop in "amazing OS advances" at the end of a multi-year development cycle. The more "revolutionary" the feature is, the more testing it requires.

Comment

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
I would think that the basics (like GUI) will stay the same, maybe a few adjustments but they will try to keep everything balanced

Comment

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
gangst said:
Hi,

There won't be any surprises, but Spotlight is about as revolutionary as features get without the operating system being rewritten.

Comment

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
gangst said:
tough luck
That's a rather lame reply. I didn't quote you, I quoted Lacero. I was responding to his comment about your thread title; it had nothing to do with you. Doesn't any read before posting?

Comment

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Let's get back on track please....

Anyway, I'm sure that Apple has fine tuned the Finder to be a lot faster than 10.3 and the interface looks a lot more refined and streamlined. The biggest thing that I'm excited about is Xcode 2. I'm a developer and I love Apple's free developer tool set. It's easy to use, has all of the features I could ask for.

Other things I look forward too are better graphics for gaming, hopefully new video carrd drivers, and smoother iApp integration. I can't wait!!!

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I doubt that Apple will release anything revolutionary, that hasn't already been discussed. We should expect a much improved OS, hopefully one that will not cause any major compatibility issues.

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
With the way Apple touts Spotlight technology, they believe it will revolutionize how we interact with our computers. I feel different. It takes discipline to organize your data and I've had no trouble finding what I needed. Searching definitely helps when you are access information across networks however.

Comment

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Lacero said:
With the way Apple touts Spotlight technology, they believe it will revolutionize how we interact with our computers. I feel different. It takes discipline to organize your data and I've had no trouble finding what I needed. Searching definitely helps when you are access information across networks however.
I'm very exited about spotlight - having just become a quicksilver addict. It just makes it so much easier living with mess. And also the automater could change the way I use my computer a lot I think. Some of the other features seem less impressive, the dashboard for instance.
I don't know very much about the finer details of GUI's and stuff, but I'm very curious on how different the general feeling using my computer will be.

A

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.